Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

OT - The DVD commentary is the most interesting aspect of this release. That made for TV movie had a few good moments. I liked how they used "All of your Toys" instead of more well known songs.

Back to the thread about Monkees' songs one by one. Since I like just about the entire Monkees' canon, I will probably comment about each of the songs.

2. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

"Saturday's Child" is a great album cut. It comes in a great place on the record, too.

However, I think it's one of those tracks that people tend to overrate or underrate just a hair.

I personally like it.

3. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

4. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

"Saturday's Child" is up there with their best, IMO. On one hand it's a ridiculously catchy pop confection, but the breakdown/solo section after the bridge shows the Boyce & Hart band really catching fire. That first album house band with Irwin, McGee, Taylor, etc. really brought it, and the second record is worse off for their absence. 5/5.

5. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

The ratings for Saturday's Child:

1-0
    2-0
    3-5
    4-11
    5-3

The MEZ likes this.
  6. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

Today's song is I Wanna Be Free:

Now here's a song to divide opinion...

Loathed by some (and chosen by Peter as his least favourite Monkees song), yet included on countless best ofs and performed live for decades.

The lyrics are youthful (if you're feeling kind) or selfish, thoughtless and full of mixed messages (if you're not). It nevertheless suited the times and is one of Davy's best early vocals. The slow version is much more effective than the faster recording in my opinion.

3/5

7. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

They put the wrong version on the album. They should have used the rocking version featured in the pilot episode. Fans had to wait until Missing Links, Volume Two in 1990 to officially get the fast version . To my ears, the acoustic guitar version didn't really fit with the rest of the album, musically or vocally. And as for adding variety, they already had a schmaltzy Davy song in "I'll Be True To You."

The faster version is more soulful. Also, the bridge repeats twice -- once as sung by Micky and the second time as an organ solo. This gives the fast version more of an edge, since the bridge is arguably the best part of this Boyce-Hart song.

By the way, a whole bunch of acts covered this tune in its day, from Bucky Wilkin of Ronny and the Daytonas to The Lonesome Rhodes (a country sister act) to Linda Ball. My guess is it never became a standard because the lyrics were more "I'll Follow The Sun" than "And I Love Her." This is another problem with the Monkees' acoustic rendition. The words are at odds with the arrangement. You're not getting "Yesterday" here, folks; it's more like "Baby, Don't Get Hooked On Me."

About those lyrics: Even as a kid, I remember friends talking about how obnoxious they thought some of the lines were, specifically "Don't say you love me say you like me/but when I need you beside me." Like communism, free love was a great idea. Also like communism, it didn't take into account basic human nature (i.e. jealousy, possessiveness, etc.). I mention all this because the lyrics keep me from giving it a 5/5 rating.

Acoustic version: 1/5
    Rocking version 4/5

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  8. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I've always loved both versions and give the slow version a 4.5 out of 5 and rate the fast version a bit lower at 4 out of 5, due to the vocals sounding like a rehearsal take.

The instrumental break is played against the chord progression of the verse, no?

9. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

The instrumental break is played against the chord progression of the verse, no?[/QUOTE]

You're right. I either mis-remembered this or heard a longer edit from a TV version where they extend the song and repeat the bridge. Or I dreamed it. Thanks for the correction.

Drifter likes this.
  10. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Gotta learn to close my quotes. ;) Fixed it.

11. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

"I Wanna Be Free"is lovely. I can see why some might see it as syrupy, but I definitely prefer the softer version -- the other version is a bit too busy for me. 3.5/5

12. 905

905 Senior Member

3/5
    I don't mind the lyrics, young people can be selfish.
    I'd give it a 1/5 if a middle-aged person sang it.

joy stinson and Turk Thrust like this.
  13. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

2/5 - I don't like either of the recorded versions, to be honest. I love the take on Live '67, however. But back to the album cut - not terrible by any stretch, just not my cup of tea.

TimeWarper and Turk Thrust like this.
  14. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

3/5 for me. I don't hate it, but it's not a fave. I agree with JuanTCB above -- love the version on Live '67.

15. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Free - not a personal favorite but a nice song. 4/5

The MEZ and Turk Thrust like this.
  16. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

I Wanna Be Free

Acoustic version--4.5/5
    Fast Version--2/5

I'm a pretty big Davy fan, and he does a fantastic job with this song. It's not a perfect song, but it is quite lovely.

The fast version, on the other hand, does nothing for me. It sounds almost like a rushed demo rather than a finished song.

McLover and Turk Thrust like this.
  17. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

"I Wanna Be Free" - I always liked this song growing up. I think I like the slow version just a tad bit better than the fast version although I like that Micky gets to sing on that version.
    3.5/5 slow version
    3/5 fast version

McLover, The MEZ, Hadean75 and 2 others like this.
  18. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

I like both versions of "I Wanna Be Free". I would rate this song in the middle. I enjoy it overall and it the slower version is part of the syrupy Davy tunes. Overall I think this was a fitting tune for the group and the TV show. It stands out as one of their better known songs given its exposure on the TV show. Davy's live version from 1968 in Japan is well done as well.
    3/5

There are some great posts here. I never knew that Peter never cared for it.

19. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Love both versions.
    Perfect song for Davy.
    5/5

Jimmy B., The MEZ, klaatuhf and 5 others like this.
  20. Bill Diercks

Bill Diercks Forum Resident

There is an episode of the tv show Oz where one of the prisoners sings it.

pablo fanques likes this.
  21. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

I also love both versions of “I Wanna Be Free”. Boyce and Hart wanted a song in the vein of “Yesterday” on the album.
    The string arrangement and Davy’s vocal are first class.

5/5.

Jimmy B., The MEZ, Hall Cat and 3 others like this.
  22. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

So, there are 2 versions with vocals, a rehearsal/demo version, and the 3rd version without vocals, but with extra instrumentation. I am going to rate all of these :D
    Fast version- does sound a bit rough, but is quite good. Sounds better with the Davy vocal up in the mix- the Micky vocals up version is kind of strange to me. 3/5
    Slow version with vocals- really quite nice in my opinion. 4/5
    Rehearsal/Demo version- a nice glimpse into the production process. 3/5
    3rd version without vocals- This should have been the released version. Really nice chime sounding stuff at the end. 5/5

Now about the live versions... :evil:
    uh, never mind.

The MEZ and Turk Thrust like this.
  23. I dislike this song—for its morally awful content and its syrupy musicality. Davy could be good on love songs, but numbers like this one don't (IMO) showcase his best vocal qualities; I much prefer the times when he pushed his voice, giving it a rough, raspy edge—think the chorus on Daydream Believer. Other examples: IR's You and I, and 99 Pounds.

24. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

4/5. I like the slow version more than the fast version.

The MEZ, Hall Cat, Drifter and 2 others like this.
  25. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

"I Wanna Be Free" is okay...I like the uptempo 'pilot' version more...the way Micky sings the middle part and him and David sing together is cool...gives more a 'band' feel.

The slow, record version is alright but David's voice is so upfront you hear all the nuances, warts and all.

I'll give it 3/5...with a slight edge over the faster take

The MEZ and marc with a c like this.