Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

Oh, my mistake.

2. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

I like 99 pounds enough to give it a low 3. It is not as good as say You and I but might fall right behind Valleri in the Davy "rock" tunes. Even without knowing all the background of say any song or who was playing: Changes is viewed differently because, well, it is different and actually remains different to this day. It is the only LP with just two guys and for me, my perception of the LP, maybe you can even call it a bias, is formed because of it. Having said that, I probably gave better marks to the tracks than most people. I like both Micky and Davy as vocalist - you can not be much of a Monkees fan if you don't but the material is far from King/Diamond/B&H. Earlier someone said they did like most of Jeff Barry's stuff but not this so much. Everyone has their tastes and opinions. If Peter had written some piano parts or played bass, I bet I would pay more attention; if Nez was involved, I pay way more attention but the Monkees were at a low point, both in popularity and number of group members. 50 years later we are talking about Changes, that in itself is pretty amazing since it didn't even chart until 1986.

3. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

True. I was really surprised when it got issued on CD in '94-'95.

Guy Smiley, intv7 and D-rock like this.
  4. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

At her height and young age she would be a healthy weight, but definitely on the very low end of the scale.

I give this track a 3/5 too. One of the best tracks on the album, but that's not saying a lot.

5. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

The ratings for 99 Pounds:

1-2
    2-7
    3-11
    4-10
    5-2

6. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

Today’s song is Tell Me Love:

I prefer this to several of the songs that we’ve discussed recently. Again it feels very derivative, but it has a little more ambition that most of the Jeff Barry material. It’s Micky’s voice that really makes it though and again this shows what a loss it was that he somewhat disappeared from the music industry.

3/5.

D-rock, The MEZ, intv7 and 2 others like this.
  7. FredV

FredV Senior Member

‘Tell Me Love’ - A song I really like. Micky gives a good performance on this song, a nice example of what he can do with better material and he sells it. The background vocals are a bit annoying but Micky’s performance makes up for it. 4/5.

D-rock, The MEZ and RobRoyF like this.
  8. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Tell Me Love
    Agreed with the others here, this one is a decent song. I listened to it a bit to make sure I recalled the correct one. It is a bit forgettable in a way, even if this is among the better tracks for this album. A majority of this album does seem to be "phoned in" due to low budget and so on. Micky does handle this one well and it has a solid melody.
    3/5

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    Wil1972, D-rock and The MEZ like this.
  9. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

I'm sorry. I can see that others like this song, but I don't find it to be among The Monkees better material. Mickey sings it OK, but I find the song unimpressive and Mickey's performance just OK. I was trying to decide between 2/5 and 3/5, and did note the higher scores. However, my personal highly subjective, opinion is that this song doesn't make 'good' status. Hence:

2/5

The MEZ, Turk Thrust and RobRoyF like this.
  10. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

"Tell Me Love" -- 3/5

I like this song a bit more than the 3/5 rating might indicate, but I didn't feel a 4/5 was really warranted. Those over-the-top backing vocals are certainly enough to justify docking it a point. I would love for the album masters to be located and for Andrew Sandoval to give Changes a much needed remix with those voices either removed or given a more sympathetic treatment.

"Tell Me Love" has grown on me quite a bit over the years, and now I consider it to be one of Changes' high points.

11. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Tell Me Love-One of the better songs on Changes. Micky sings with such tenderness that you really believe that he is so in love with the character in the song that he would do just about anything to please her. The chorus is a nice change in tempo and power. Just a really nice song. 3.5/5

12. BigManRestless

BigManRestless Forum Resident

Nope, doesn't do anything for me. There's much better to come on side 2 though!

1/5

13. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

2/5. Again, it’s fine.

14. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

“Tell Me Love”: Neither love it or hate it. It just... Is. Micky gives it a good go though. 2/5.

15. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

3/5. This would have been a great Partridge Family record. This is a better Changes track, still lacking in character and distinction.

16. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

Tell Me Love - 2/5

The thing is, I know Micky can sing but the material is, at best, inconsequential.

17. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

Tell Me Love - a high 4/5. Micky does a fantastic job.

18. 905

905 Senior Member

4/5
    One of my favorite Monkees songs.

19. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

No......just no. 1/5

DaveJ and BigManRestless like this.
  20. wino14

wino14 Forum Resident

Good God...no wonder I hardly listen to Changes.
    1/5

DaveJ likes this.
  21. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I rarely listen to Changes but the 4 songs I’m really familiar with I’ll vote for.

22. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

Tell Me Love

My favorite track on the album. I'm surprised at the low scores it's garnering. Micky gives such a great performance. Again, the backing singers are a bit too loud in the mix but it's not as bad as others on this album.

4/5

23. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Slightly better that the garden variety Changes dreck. Mick goes for whatever meat is on that bone.

A very generous 3/5.

Wil1972 likes this.
  24. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

Tell Me Love - 3/5
    This one is decent, I think. It's kind of forgettable and it drags a little, but at the same time I think this is one of the better new songs on the album.

25. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

A low 3 for me. Not much to add to what everyone has said and I have said throughout this LP: Middle of the road stuff as the band disappeared for awhile but they will come back and ratings, I predict will be all over the place for about 40 years.