Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Ah yes, you're correct!

2. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

Tell me love— 2

They should have sped it up to the same speed as I’m a believer.. and added an organ

3. David Austin

David Austin Eclectically Coastal

'Tell Me Love is a bit dull and boring, and I'm not convinced that Micky is giving his best either. And once again I find myself really unimpressed with the BVs. Nonetheless, I certainly don't dislike the track, actually finding it moderately enjoyable.

Beatmusicfan and Drifter like this.
  4. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

Tell Me Love

A bit of a nothing song which kind of goes nowhere for a while and then stops.

1/5

5. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

"Tell Me Love" It's ok. They certainly did worse during this time. But I don't really like it too much. However, on a grading scale for this album I'll give it a 3/5.

The MEZ likes this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Tell Me Love 5/5

I liked this song the best upon first hearing it on Changes in '86. Great vocal from Micky. Nice to hear Dolenz sing a love song with feeling and meaning.

7. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Tell Me Love is pure filler but I will give it a 2/5, since there are much worse Monkees tracks.

RedRoseSpeedway likes this.
  8. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

A generous 4/5 for Tell Me Love.

Great backing track with a very good and convincing vocal from Micky. I happen to like the backing vocals a lot.

9. Tell Me Love

This song definitely fits the overall vibe of Changes with its distinctive '70s sound. I understand what people mean when they've said that many songs from this album (including this one) seem like they were written in such a way that pretty much anyone's lead vocal could be slapped on them—as opposed to being written specifically for the Monkees—but I still think there's some good stuff to be found in them. Regarding this song, I like the plaintive way Micky sings the verses, and I like how the chorus picks up the pace, along with its backing vocals and tambourine (which gives it a touch of the '60s sound). There's also some nice piano in this song. 3/5

intv7, spsimmons, FredV and 2 others like this.
  10. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

TML -- 2/5. It's pretty dull.

11. Bobby with a dollar

Bobby with a dollar Forum Resident

I really want to like "Tell Me Love", there are elements of the song that draw me in but then push me away as it falls a bit flat. I guess what it comes down to is that it really doesn't have much soul to it (not the genre but the feeling). 2/5...but I really wanted to like it more

12. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

You sure the 52 inches is a reference to height?

13. I've always thought it was 62 inches, which is 5 feet, 2 inches, which is a common enough height for females.

Wil1972, MarkTheShark and D-rock like this.
  14. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

'Tell Me Love' - ugh. This one is pretty dull. Probably my least favorite song on Changes. 1/5

15. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

The ratings for Tell Me Love:

1-5
    2-8
    3-10
    4-5
    5-1

The MEZ likes this.
  16. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

Today’s song is Do You Feel It Too:

When Davy complained about this essentially being an Andy Kim album with his voice removed and The Monkees added, you feel that it was this song in particular he may have been referring to.

It is a fairly cute pop song and quite catchy, but the lyrics are also moderately dreadful. The word “groovy” has not aged well in any song.

2.5/5.

DaveJ, The MEZ and RobRoyF like this.
  17. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

I find this generic and unexciting. It sounds a bit like Carlos Alomar borrowed some of the guitar bits for David Bowie's 'Sound and Vision'. But, apart from that, there's nothing to catch my interest.

It's not terrible, but it's just unimpressive and I don't feel that I want to be listening to this song again.

2/5

Guy Smiley likes this.
  18. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

"Do You Feel It Too" Pretty generic bubblegum pop song, just like most of the tunes they were giving Davy around this time. I don't know why because I can't really explain it but I kinda like this one. Not saying it's a great song or even a great Monkees' song but I dig it. 3/5

19. BigManRestless

BigManRestless Forum Resident

I quite like this one - it's VERY 1970.

3/5.

20. Beatmusicfan

Beatmusicfan Forum Resident

Tell Me Love - Not feeling it. I don’t think that Micky was either. 2/5

Do You Feel it Too - Slightly better. A perky number, but pretty thin on the backing track. 3/5

Drifter likes this.
  21. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure it's 62 inches as well, not 52.

Guy Smiley, DaveJ and D-rock like this.
  22. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

"Do You Feel It Too" -- 3/5

I like this song about as much as I like "You're So Good To Me", Davy's other new track on the album -- which is to say it's a fairly decent bubblegum pop song of its day, and it's nice to hear a Monkee singing on it. I actually have to admit that since first hearing it in 1986, I've always gotten a real kick out of the line "Oh baby, life is like a cartoon movie / being with you makes it groovy" -- it struck me as hilariously dated when I was a kid, and now I find it to be kind of a quaint relic of its time. These songs he was given to sing are fluff, nothing more. They're miles away from the quality material of the Brill Building that Kirshner was bringing to the table.

23. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

Do You Feel It Too? - 3/5
    Like with yesterday's song, it's certainly not one of their best but I think this one is alright.

rocknrollforyoursoul and The MEZ like this.
  24. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Do You Feel It Too?
    Very lightweight stuff. I like this song, but I'm docking it for these stupid lines:

Oh baby, life is like a cartoon movie
    Being with you makes it groovy

True, anything with "groovy" has aged horribly. The rest of the lines are somewhat passable. Anyway, I enjoy this song now and then, but I do not seek it out for a listen. This one works well for Davy. Pleasant-sounding guitar work, too.
    3/5

Wil1972 and rocknrollforyoursoul like this.
  25. FredV

FredV Senior Member

‘Do You Feel It Too? - A lite but good song for Davy. I like the guitar work on it and Davy’s performance is professional. I can understand why he didn’t like the song. He was writing more adult and sophisticated songs with Bill Chadwick and here he was back to singing fluffy love songs. It’s fine for what it is. 3/5.

As a comparison, here’s Andy Kim’s version of the song. I like the backing on this, it has a more distinctive 60’s sound. It would have been nice if they had used this arrangement on the Monkees version.