Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. 905

905 Senior Member

3/5
    I've always liked this, and I don't mind the groovy because it takes me back to that era, though I wasn't born yet.

2. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

3/5. It’s a decent track, and the groovy hook is what makes me like it a little more. The enunciation of that line is what hurts it though, it feels a bit stilted.

Guy Smiley, The MEZ and RobRoyF like this.
  3. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

3/5 Do You Feel It Too. Corny lyrics, yes, but very catchy tune.

4. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Do You Feel It Too- Definitely has that "TV Monkees romp" vibe to it. I am sure that is what is was designed for, and was used for. It is a fun little song. 3/5

5. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

2/5. Very forced, cynical bubblegum. Davy's unhappiness at these sessions is palpable.

6. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Never heard Andy Kim's version before. I prefer the Monkees' 1970 arrangement with the guitar. This version sounds more lite with the twee-sounding keyboards.

905 likes this.
  7. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Ehhhh... I think what I dislike the most about Changes is how soullessly competent it all is. It's not even bad enough to warrant much of a reaction, really. Do I Feel It Too? Not particularly, no.

2/5

Guy Smiley, DaveJ, intv7 and 2 others like this.
  8. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

At least the chorus has a nice melody. 2/5

9. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

Do You Feel It Too?

There's a good song in there trying to get out.

It's so understated as to become inconsequential. But it's certainly more than listenable.

3/5

Wil1972, DaveJ and Keith V like this.
  10. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

This sounds more like the Monkees than the Monkees version!

Two Sheds and FJFP like this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Do You Feel It Too? 4/5

I think it's one of the better tracks from Changes. I like Davy's vocal performance and the overall instrumentation of the song. (Is instrumentation a word?).

12. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I agree. 4/5.

And yes, instrumentation is a word. A good word.

13. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

'Do You Feel It Too?' - I've always liked this one - not sure why. It's not one of the Monkees' best songs, but it is one of my favorites on Changes. It has a tepid backing track and eye-rolling lyrics, but it is a catchy number. I think this is a case where Davy's ability and professionalism makes the song better than it would have been with another singer. And the only thing better than Davy is double-tracked Davy! 4/5

14. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Do You Feel It, Too?

Maybe YOU do, but I don't. 2/5

I *do* have a 4 and a 5 for this album, but we ain't there yet.

15. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

Do You Feel It Too? - 3/5

So Davy IS on this album. Groovy...

It's one of the better constructed and produced songs, absent any cloying backing vocals which sabotage a number of Micky's vocals. But I felt there was a quiet ambition in the songs Davy was working on in 1969 that were a better guidepost to where he might have headed musically if he hadn't been consigned to the bubblegum heap. This is pleasant enough but a clear regression. I'd rather he was recording "St. Valentine's Angel," the Donovan song, or "Together" by Nilsson if he was going to record outside writers' songs.

Guy Smiley, rockerreds, DaveJ and 4 others like this.
  16. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

DYFIT -- one of the better songs on Changes -- and that's not saying much. 3/5

17. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

"Do You Feel It Too?". I'm giving this one a low 3/5. I would actually put it on a Monkees compilation as I think it's a decent track. I do not like the Andy Kim version as I find it too slow, and much prefer the bouncy feel of the Monkees version.

18. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

I enjoy DYFIT enough to give it a 3 plus. Just not a 4 based on what I have rated other tracks. It is a nice pop number and if I were to pick a couple highlights from Changes, this would be one of them.

19. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

I’ve found this the trickiest yet to grade. I’m going to go..

Do You Feel It Too? - 3/5

.. on account of it being quite catchy. I agree with Zipp that there’s a good song trying to get out.

Wil1972, D-rock and The MEZ like this.
  20. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

Do You Feel It Too?

Like this track. David sings it well, and I love his self-harmony on the chorus.

Yes, lines about a "toy balloon" and "cartoon movie" are definitely hokey, if not "groovy" but I like this song so much that some of the lyrics, despite being "banal and insipid", get a pass

4/5

21. Do You Feel It Too?

After the slow intro, when the beat kicks in, that sounds pretty cool. This song has a definite '70s vibe, but once again has tambourine to hearken back to the '60s sound (both things are good, IMO). Davy's double-tracked vocals on the chorus are cool, and this song is peppy enough, and catchy enough. I can clearly hear the acoustic guitar strumming in the second verse, and it sounds good. And the guitar solo is a nice feature. This song is groovy enough for me. 3/5

22. Bobby with a dollar

Bobby with a dollar Forum Resident

"DYFIT" is a pretty good middle of the road '70's pop tune. It's like a Moped, it's fine to listen to but you don't want anybody to catch you listening to it. This is a Davy song I can enjoy hearing a couple times a year, no running to the "next track" button for this one. 3/5

BigManRestless, D-rock and The MEZ like this.
  23. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

I love the word “Groovy.” I use it frequently, and not entirely ironically.

I don’t love this song though, and I don’t find it all that groovy. Davy sure got the shaft on this album, but the material does him no favors here. It’s pretty catchy, but so is a cold.

Once again, I have to say “There are worse songs, but it still isn’t great.” 2/5.

BigManRestless likes this.
  24. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I'm playing it in my head from memory and I think you're right about it being 62 inches.

25. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I like "Do You Feel It Too," in a "guilty pleasure" kind of way. Yes, the lyrics are stupid. But not as stupid as "I Love You Better," which I think is the reigning champion of stupid Monkees lyrics. But it's good 'n' funky too.

intv7 and RobRoyF like this.