Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

Today’s song is That Was Then, This is Now:

When I Remember the Feeling was released in 1976 I would say that it should have been a hit, but that other circumstances prevented it. When That Was Then, This Is Now was released in 1986 I would say that it should have been a flop, but that other circumstances prevented it. :laugh:

That’s not to say that I hate the recording, but if it had been released at any other time in the group’s history then I can’t imagine it getting anywhere near the charts.

The original version by The Mosquitos is semi-likeable, but far from a classic. I can see what Clive Davis saw in it, and why he selected it for the group, as it is quite catchy. It also feels a little clumsy though, with the lyrics not scanning properly. And some of those lyrics, it must be said, are not particularly impressive and slightly embarrassing in places.

The Micky and Peter version took an average song and made it slightly worse. The production is cheesy and Micky’s style of singing isn't quite what it had been in the 60s and 70s. His voice and the catchy nature of the song are the only things that partially redeem it though.

I trust everyone is relieved that we are back to discussing “true” Monkees songs again from now on. ;)

2.5/5.

905, The MEZ, BZync and 2 others like this.
  2. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

That Was Then, This is Now- In a vacuum, this song is not really all that good. However, if you were around when it came out, it was typical of the sound of the day, and as a Monkees fan, I was so thrilled to have a new song from them on the charts. So, it is difficult to remove that emotion from this song for me. 3/5

3. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Before going on, just touching briefly on ‘The Point’ cast album with Micky & Davy from 1977. As previously mentioned, this being a cast album featuring artists besides Micky & Davy, it obviously doesn’t count as a “Monkees” album. However, the entire album is all Nilsson songs, it could easily have been called ‘Monkees Sings Nilsson’.

The performances are fine, Davy playing the lead character of Oblio has the Lion share of songs. Micky has two solo numbers and sings a duet with Davy for the encore. Since the songs carry the story, they’re done in a specific styling to accommodate the show.

‘The Point’ as an album is ok but not great. 3/5.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    The MEZ, D-rock and RobRoyF like this.
  4. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

"That Was Then, This Is Now" -- 5/5

Yes, I know the synths are horribly dated, I know some of the lyrics are cheesy, and I know my rating is certainly deep rooted in nostalgia for these times, but I adore this song. Always have. It's not a 5/5 the way "Pleasant Valley Sunday" is, if that makes sense -- but for a 1986 Monkees single, I think it's a grand slam. I think it deserves high praise...maybe a 4/5 is more appropriate, but after a couple of weeks of Dolenz, Jones, Boyce & Hart, this sure sounds like a top shelf song.

5. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

That Was Then, This is Now
    Songwriter: Vance Brescia

I am partial to this song, but it is due to nostalgia. It probably would have been better as an album cut. However, when you look at most of Pool It, maybe this song was indeed a better selection as a single. Pleasant song for its time. Its lyrics fit their comeback! I did not know for many years that this song was a cover.

The song charted to position 20 in the Billboard charts in 1986. This was a big deal to Monkees fans and new fans coming along after seeing the reruns on MTV and elsewhere (somewhat earlier). The 1986 reunion was definitely the Monkees' big wave of success. I was glad to have been there for it. Edited from 4/5 (Rounding up due to nostalgia)
    5/5

The video and song just had Micky and Peter performing (no Davy) - I can't recall why, but he sat this one out. Maybe unhappy about its business arrangement? Other Monkeemaniacs are already in the know will likely explain in better detail!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  6. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Now, ‘That Was Then, This Is Now’ - 1986 was an incredible year with the Monkees TV show being rerun on MTV and the 20th Anniversary tour. The new single and new recordings were highly anticipated and I remember how excited I was when the I finally bought the single and couldn’t wait to go home to hear it.

Despite the 80’s production, I liked it. It wasn’t a song you’d find on ‘Headquarters’ or ‘Pisces’, but it was fine for what it was. Micky sounded great and you can hear Peter on the background vocals. It’s a shame Davy refused to sing on it, I could understand his reasons to a point, but I feel he missed a great opportunity.

At the 1986 Philadelphia Monkees convention I had the pleasure of announcing on stage that the single got the Monkees officially back in the Top 40 for the first time since the 1960’s. That was a great moment I’ll never forget.

For the great memories of 1986 ‘That Was Then, This Is Now’ gets an easy 5/5 from me.

7. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Davy felt Arista's offer was too low -- he called it "an insult". Davy was still upset over how things went when he was signed to Bell Records (as Bell was reconfigured into Arista Records in 1974). Micky and Peter happily signed on and the tracks were cut without him. This created some friction, and when the song was a hit, Davy was furious. He refused to perform the song, and would leave the stage when it was performed on the '80s tours.

Wil1972 and RobRoyF like this.
  8. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

"Me and. My Arrow" is probably my favorite - I never obtained a copy of this album. May seek it out. Thanks Fred for the quick summary.

The MEZ and FredV like this.
  9. FredV

FredV Senior Member

The MEZ likes this.
  10. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

If people want to go back and cover the solo stuff, maybe we can discuss The Point stuff some day.

Best to stick to That Was Then, This Is Now though as it kind of defeats the purpose of the thread otherwise. :righton:

11. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

I love this! I regard it as an excellent pop record and certainly The Monkees' signature song! :)

12. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

That Was Then. 4/5 Love this song. It's a shame Jones chose not to participate in their first song in decades. I loved 1986-1987 and this song reminds me of the beginning of my 12-year-old Monkee madness. Tempted to give it a 5, but that would just be because of the memories it brings back. I will give it a 4 because I really think it is a good Monkees song.

13. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Nez also mentioned "The Point" briefly during the HEAD audio commentary.

The MEZ and pablo fanques like this.
  14. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

It sounds too 80s with those keyboards and 80s drum sound.

When he sings "you broke me down and put me wiiiiiiiise" I really get the sense that Micky is trying to channel the 1967 Micky singing "Pleasant Valley Sunday."

I like the song, I dislike the production.

On the "Then And Now" compilation album (as first released on vinyl) those three 1986 songs are spaced out among 1960s hits and stick out like a sore thumb.

15. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Understood, and will adhere to “Da Rules” from this point on.

However, it does bring up an interesting point for discussion: When is a Monkees album considered a Monkees album?

Obviously when all four members are involved it’s a given. Even when it’s down to three, (see the 1969 albums and ‘Pool It!’) it’s considered “Monkees”.

The question becomes trickier when it gets to just two members. So ‘Changes’ is a Monkees album because it’s labeled as one, but ‘Dolenz, Jones, Boyce & Hart’ and The Point’ not really even though all three albums have the same two members.

Then you get to the bonus tracks on the ‘Then and Now’ compilation which has a different configuration of two members (Micky & Peter) and it’s considered “Monkees”. (Yeah I know, they’re credited as Micky & Peter of ‘The Monkees’. Work with me here! :rant:)

When we get to the 1986 Live album it gets trickier still. For legal licensing issues the album couldn’t be labeled as “Monkees” even though it was recorded on the ‘86 Monkees tour, and it had to be issued under the individual members names. But, WE KNEW it was ‘The Monkees’. (Wink Wink ;))

Then skipping ahead to ‘Good Times’ and ‘Christmas Party’ and we’re sadly back to the Trio configuration with archival recordings of Davy included, and those are labeled “Monkees”.

It makes me wonder when the Mike and Micky Live album is eventually released, and if they include the archival performances of Davy & Peter, if that one is going to get the “Monkees” name plastered on it too.

It makes one ponder. :shh:

16. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

That Was Then, This Is Now - 5/5
    This is a great piece of 80s synth pop in my opinion. Micky and Peter sound great, I like the cheery, upbeat tone of the song, and personally I like the production here as well.

For the record, here is the original version of the song by The Mosquitos:

Personally I prefer The Monkees' version, but the original is quite nice too in my opinion.

17. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

I'd say if it's released under the name "The Monkees" we include it. If it is not, we don't. Or maybe tack it on at the end after Christmas Party. Go ahead and add the solo stuff too.

18. David Austin

David Austin Eclectically Coastal

'That Was Then...' is quite likable, but it's nothing very special. Micky's vocal is good, but he doesn't quite replicate his more typical vocal sound from the '60s. Given that this is 1986, Micky would not have yet reached an age where his voice would have changed significantly, so this may have been a conscious choice on his part (or someone else's?). The keyboard part is very '80s and a bit irritating (then and now), but the lead guitar part is fine (though we didn't really need to hear much the same thing again on the other two songs from this time).

What we have here is a fairly traditional pop song, and as such it was well-suited to The Monkees. But it obviously wasn't well-suited to the UK singles chart as it only managed to reach No. 68. I liked it (and still do), but it wasn't a return to the glory of those Top 5 hits of 1967. Anyway, can't be too disappointed - it's perfectly okay.

The MEZ and RobRoyF like this.
  19. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

'That Was Then, This Is Now' - I like it. It was only a success because of the revival of the TV series in 1986. I can't imagine this getting into the charts without all of the exposure they had that year on MTV. The production screams "EIGHTIES," for sure, but overall it's a good song. 4/5

The MEZ and intv7 like this.
  20. wino14

wino14 Forum Resident

Yep...80's production sucks but I was so stoked when I heard a new Monkees record back on the radio. Needless to say I couldnt wait to see them when they came to the Dean Dome in Chapel Hill later in 86. Good song..glad to have them back. 3/5

The MEZ likes this.
  21. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Even if I were to never have bought a Monkees album in my life, I'd love this song. This was one of the musical highlights of the summer of '86 for me - I loved the video because of a) all the kitschy retro footage and b) the punk rock kid losing his s*** at around 3:06. And it was cool to see Micky and Peter again, as well, even though I do remember clearly wondering where the hell the other two were (wouldn't be the last time, either!)

But all that aside, it's really just a great single. The title is catchy as hell, the melody's a total ear worm, Dolenz only delivers a B+ vocal but that's probably an A by anyone else's standards, and the instrumentation and arrangement is very much of its time (and thus at least slightly inherently cheesy) but it suits the song - it sounds like a mid '80s update of the '60s Kirshner sound. And no, in no way is this synth pop. An '80s pop song that has some synth accouterments is a pop song with synth, not synth pop. Sorry - just had to get that off my chest.

And it still stands up - they played it during the Dork tours in '15-'16 and Vance Brescia joined them at both dates I went to and it was honestly a highlight of the show.

Man, after the crap we've been discussing over the last few weeks, "That Was Then" feels like "A Day In The Life". A strong 4/5. Welcome back, guys.

Beatmusicfan, j_rocker, 905 and 7 others like this.
  22. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Same. I was at the tail-end of elementary school when this collection came out, and "That Was Then, This Is Now" got lots of airplay. I had this cassette, and *loved* all 3 "new" songs - I once made a whole sign of a 45 minute cassettes that was just these three songs, over and over!

3/5

j_rocker and The MEZ like this.
  23. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

2/5. A tripe song, horrid production, slightly elevated by a good Micky vocal. Imagine how much bigger the reunion would have been had they been able to get ahold of a good song to record.

DaveJ likes this.
  24. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

For many of the reasons already given, That Was Then, This is Now is and will remain an important song to the Monkees. I really liked this song when released and still do. It certainly didn't seem out of place on the radio in 1986 so regardless of the production it was the sound for the times. I will give it a 5 and it is a good song to me since I also enjoy the Mosquitos version as well. Much has been discussed about the mistakes made, like selecting DW Washburn for single release. But when I heard this song on the radio, I knew it was going to be a hit. I am also a big fan of Anytime, Anyplace, Anywhere and my expectations for the next new LP were pretty high but that is a discussion for another day.

RobRoyF likes this.
  25. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

That's what I've always felt regarding this song. By the way, I agree with you regarding "synth pop" - I was originally going to say in my rating that it was a great 80s pop song, but I sort of balked at the last second and typed it up as it being a great 80s synth pop song instead.

JuanTCB likes this.