Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

Today’s song is You and I:

In contrast with Circle Sky, I would say that this update of an old song is one of the highlights of the album. The original version is very nice for what it is, but this is one of the more solid productions on Justus with the musicianship sounding surprisingly strong. Peter’s bass is particularly prominent which is no bad thing in my mind.

The lyrics are fitting with the four of them back together and, if you didn’t know any different, you would assume that they had been written specifically with this project in mind.

4/5.

Wil1972, BZync, DaveJ and 10 others like this.
  2. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

4/5. It's all heart. Love the bass.

3. 905

905 Senior Member

5/5
    A home run, and deserves to be on Monkee comps.

4. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Just and obvious sort of wannabe but no biggie

5. David Austin

David Austin Eclectically Coastal

I really don't like this version of 'You and I' - but is does give me a greater appreciation of the earlier recording on Dolenz, Jones, Boyce & Hart. Admittedly, the DJBH version sounds a lot more dated, but it has a much more sensitive lead vocal (from Micky) compared to the rather callous reading on Justus (from Davy); the DJBH track also has a more nuanced arrangement.

It also seems to me that the Justus recording is a bit 'can't see the wood for the trees'. There's a lot more clarity and detail in the recording, making it much easier to pick out the individual elements, whereas DJBH presents a better synthesis where it is the whole picture that matters. It's (very roughly) similar to comparing the 1958 Sir Malcolm Sargent/BBC Symphony Orchestra recording of Holst's The Planets with the 1987 Charles Dutoit/Orchestr Symphonique de Montréal recording; the former presents a beautifully blended picture more-or-less as you might expect to experience it in the concert hall, while the latter distracts you from the greater whole by getting you in close to the individual parts of the orchestra.

I know a lot of people really like this update of 'You and I', but I find it jarring and unpleasant. A matter of taste, I guess (or maybe a matter of which one you heard first).

6. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

He had to make up for his cuts on "Pool It!" somehow :agree:

Guy Smiley likes this.
  7. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"You and I", yet another 3/5...

I'll probably want to go back and re-rate them, like I'd give "Circle Sky" a 4 now if I could, but there's no do overs in voting :)

The MEZ likes this.
  8. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"You and I"

To be honest, I can't remember what the DJBH version sounded like (and I can't be bothered to go back 50 or so pages to find out!). This version will do just fine for me. Very nice feel to it, lovely guitars and bass and a great vocal from Davy. 3.5/5.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  9. FredV

FredV Senior Member

A quick trip to YouTube settles the problem.

rocknrollforyoursoul and The MEZ like this.
  10. FredV

FredV Senior Member

You and I - Another highlight on ‘Justus’. I love the DJB&H original, but it’s so nice have an official Monkees version. The lyrics truly suits the bands’ history and they all play wonderfully on it. This also brings me back to the night of the Davy Jones memorial with Peter singing the lead. Glad Davy had another chance to shine on the album. 5/5.

11. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

Another Davy winner. Sorry folks. 5/5 from me. They kinda stacked the album with the best stuff right at the beginning, not counting Circle Sky. Again, Pete's playing is outstanding. Busy, but outstanding.

12. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Live version from the Today Show, 1997.

rocknrollforyoursoul and The MEZ like this.
  13. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

"You And I" -- 5/5

They turned a really good DJB&H song into a bona fide latter day Monkees classic. Peter's bass playing is worthy of mention here, and Davy and Micky turn out fine vocal performances. As has already been pointed out by many, Davy really shines on Justus, and this is one of the highest points on the album.

14. jfmlaugh

jfmlaugh Forum Resident

You and I is a 5/5 for me. Davy shines again and so does Micky! Always thought that what a great way to end the Monkees cannon...that is until we got the extraordinary effort in Good Times!

P.S Oh, What A Night is a 5/5 for me too. Have to give Davy some major props on this album!

15. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

You And I- The highlight of Justus. A huge improvement over the DJBH version. I truly wish all of Justus followed the same vibe that this song has 5/5.

16. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

This “You and I” is pretty good. It’s not in the same league as the 1969 song of the same name, but I liked it on DJBH and I like it again here. One of the better latter day Monkee shines.

Honestly, I think I might like the DJBH version better? Both are good, something about the DJBH version sounds better to me.

Davy sounds great on the 1996 version though and the other three play well too. Mike’s guitar is lovely.

I don’t know that I’d rate this with the very best Monkees songs from the 60s, but it’s a fine track. Debating between a very solid 3 and 4. Since it’s just the four of them playing I’ll round up and go with 4/5.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  17. FredV

FredV Senior Member

The 1997 TV special version of ‘You and I’ version comes in around the 6:35 point of the video. This is where the Dog Mascot first shows up. Trivia Note: The gentleman who’s at the door at the beginning of the special is John Brockman whose face graced the original ‘Head’ movie poster.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  18. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Well, you’re not wrong. Boyce and Hart, who wrote, were inspired after hearing”Paperback Writer” on the radio. They’ve always admitted that.

Taking inspiration from The Beatles, just as they took inspiration from Chuck Berry, Little Richard, etc., before them, is understandable. Take from the best! “Paperback Writer” is, along with its B-side “Rain,” one of the all time great rock singles.

“Clarksville” stands on its own though, and is its own song/story to tell. Bonafide classic too. Both hold up more than 50 years later.

19. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

This You and I is a 5. One of my favorite songs the Monkees ever recorded. The song may or may not be "better" than the earlier version but for a fan of the band, which is four Monkees playing music, it is automatically elevated in my book. I like the little differences in this song and as pointed out a bit earlier just from this CD, some remakes work, some do not, some of the changes are liked, some (Circle Sky for me and a few others) not liked as much. This song is nice work from a band that wrote, produced and performed this entire track.

factory44, The MEZ and dangiedr like this.
  20. dangiedr

dangiedr Senior Member

If the 96-97 reunion of all four guys would've only produced one new recording tacked on as the last track of a 30th Anniversary anthology , and "You and I" turned out to be that track, I would declare it a grand slam coda. I find this one to easily be the highlight of "Justus" and the one song on the disc to actually merit the "Headquarters 2" tag that was present in some of the pre-release hype. . I also enjoy the DJBH take on this composition, but feel the 96 arrangement wins the day, with Peter's bass work especially standing out. From a songwriting standpoint, I also feel this arrangement of "You and I" would not be out of place on "Good Times", and I think that's a good thing, indeed. 5/5

21. Bobby with a dollar

Bobby with a dollar Forum Resident

"You And I" is a very nice tune and Davy does a fine job on vocals. 3/5

22. wino14

wino14 Forum Resident

You And I best song on the album. Understated vocals by Davy(thank God), Great harmonies, gorgeous acoustic guitars and Peter smokin on the bass. This is a keeper for sure

5/5

23. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

You And I
    Definitely the best track on Justus. It's a clear improvement over the 70s version. They all knock it out of the park with this tune. Davy's singing and Peter's bass. A winner here.
    5/5

24. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

YOU & I ('96)

Not quite as good as the DJBH version with the Dolenz lead, but this is not bad at all. David sings it well and the musicianship is lovely. Also cool hearing a new verse as opposed to the early version.

4/5

25. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

'You and I' - good one. Like some have mentioned, I prefer the Instant Replay song of the same name. But this one comes off well. 4/5

Guy Smiley and The MEZ like this.