Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I Believe You 1/5

Don't like it at all. The reviews thus far are very generous. I don't even think I ever been able to make it through a complete listening.

BZync likes this.
  2. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

"I Believe You" I think this is a pretty good Peter song. It's almost hypnotizing. In it's cacophony it comes across as a folk-pop-jazz fusion. It's definitely different and it's good to hear them taking risks and not just playing it safe. It's far from a great Monkees' song but it's a really good song on Justus. 4/5

3. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

Away and missed the last tune, neither Peter written track was outstanding for me. What I did like was the Davy vocal on a Peter tune, so I would have bumped it a full point up. As for "I Believe You" I remember when the critics were trashing the LP and this tune especially, Nez went off back on them. He mainly was saying that critics give them crap for being pop and manufactured , etc. but when they tried to stretch and do something different, like the LP, or perhaps real different - like this track, it is also trashed. I think that was in Rolling Stone but I could be wrong. Anyhow, I agree with the sentiment and thought it was an interesting song, not my favorite by any means as I actually love pop music along with my Nez country rock, etc. But I again give a bump for the effort. A 3. The next two tunes will boast my overall average for the LP.

Grand_Ennui and The MEZ like this.
  4. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Peter sounds good here, better lyrics than the last track, and his performances on bass and keyboards are pretty great. Micky also turns in a great performance on drums, very subtle but solid, and an interesting style which he doesn’t use much. 3.5/5

5. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

"I Believe You", waltz tempo Peter song. I like the vocal, production and instrumentation. Unfortunately the song itself isn't much. An extremely low 3/5 for the effort.

6. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

I like "I Believe You" because it's so uniquely Tork. I'd give it a 2.5 but will round up since it's definitely the weirdest and probably most interesting thing on the album.

3/5

7. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

I believe it was Entertainment Weekly and yes, Papa Nez really ripped 'em a new one. I think you can probably find the letter somewhere with a Google search.

8. I didn't mean to suggest that the Monkees had never done harder rock songs before—they definitely did. But I do think Justus has more examples of that than any other Monkees album (the harder version of Circle Sky, plus Admiral Mike, Dyin' of a Broken Heart, Regional Girl, and Run Away From Life).

9. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

The ratings for I Believe You:

1-3
    2-0
    3-18
    4-4
    5-3

Wil1972 and The MEZ like this.
  10. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

Today’s song is It’s My Life:

I think the album ends in fine style with these last two songs.

It’s My Life was seemingly again about Micky’s divorce, but it makes for a welcome change that he attempts to put a more positive spin on things here. To some extent, at any rate.

The lyrics are simple yet effective and the style of music suits the musicians more than some of the other tracks. It feels like they are within their comfort zone here.

3.5/5.

11. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

It's My Life
    This track has never held my interest. It's another song I usually skip on this album. I may need to revisit it again with a different approach. For now this is how I rate it.
    2/5

intv7 likes this.
  12. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

It's My Life...this is my first time hearing it. I really like it! 4/5

The MEZ and Grand_Ennui like this.
  13. FredV

FredV Senior Member

It’s My Life - The last in Micky’s mini cycle of ‘divorce’ songs on the album. Here Micky takes a more positive view by accepting his situation and moving on with his life.

It’s interesting to note that Micky stuck on a mini concept within the major concept of ‘Justus’ with his grouping of songs.

These are the most personal songs Micky has ever written and you have to admire him for sharing his heart break, anger and resolution so publicly. He definitely took lessons from John Lennon by expressing his pain without compromise. All the guys play well on it and Micky turns in a vulnerable performance.

Yeah, he could have written and performed songs wearing the wacky “Monkee Micky” persona, but instead, right or wrong, he presented to the fans the real Micky Dolenz. He deserves respect for his uncompromising honesty. It’s good that he ended on a positive note. 4/5.

BZync, jeremylr, zipp and 3 others like this.
  14. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"It's My Life"

Also my first time hearing it - I think it's my favourite of the Micky songs on this album, a pleasant ballad, but again it sounds a little anonymous overall. 3/5.

BZync, The MEZ and Grand_Ennui like this.
  15. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"It's My Life"- A solid 3.5

The MEZ likes this.
  16. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

'It's My Life' - nice effort from Micky. 3/5

The MEZ and Grand_Ennui like this.
  17. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

It’s My Life- The best of Micky's songs on this album. I don't care for the filter put on his voice. I respect that Micky was in a bad place emotionally during the recording of this album-we all have been through this kind of pain. However, the "angry Micky" just wasn't a good thing for Justus. This song was more reflective ,and it is better for it. 3/5

Guy Smiley, The MEZ and Grand_Ennui like this.
  18. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

It's My Life - 3/5
    While I don't think this is the best song on the album, this is certainly Micky's best Justus song in my opinion. It is quite pleasant sounding and it makes a nice change from the past few divorce songs of his on the album - while it appears to be about the same subject, this song sounds like it has more genuine emotion and heart behind it.

19. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

Not my favorite Micky track on the record but good enough to warrant a 3/5. Funny how I like this album so much although I haven't really given many of the last few songs very high ratings.

20. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

It's My Life 4/5

One of the few highlights of the album. I didn't notice any "filter" on Micky's voice.

Grand_Ennui, Guy Smiley and The MEZ like this.
  21. 905

905 Senior Member

5/5
    Another gem from Dolenz.

22. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

“It’s My Life” — 2/5

Meh. Not a highlight of this album IMO.

23. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

It's My Life. A solid 2/5.

24. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

It's my life-- 4/5. There's a lot I like about this one-- the self-reflection and Plato's famous allegory about shadows on the wall.

I remember reading at the time that Micky brought this one in late in the process of making the album, and the four guys quickly arranged it and put it together. This is a real "Headquarters 2" type track, in my opinion.

I also remember reading an interview with Davy from some years back where he said he was trying to get Micky to do this one in the Monkees concerts. To me this would have been a better choice for all than "Since I Fell for you."

25. Bobby with a dollar

Bobby with a dollar Forum Resident

I like "It's My Life", Micky does a fine job on this one. 3/5

Grand_Ennui, Guy Smiley and The MEZ like this.