Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Wasn't Nesmith a millionaire by then?

2. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Yes, and he was running his Pacific Arts video company and the tour conflicted with his business schedule as I mentioned earlier.

Guy Smiley and D-rock like this.
  3. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

He didn't need the money, besides which he couldn't break away for the length of time needed to go on tour. However, he often has said he was interested and wanted to do it, but couldn't commit to it.

D-rock likes this.
  4. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Thanks! Disappointing, but now I know.

5. Guy Smiley

Yet another Monkees oddity, albeit a minor one.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  6. Guy Smiley

To be fair, the date on today’s pick makes it way out of sequence too. :D

7. Guy Smiley

Liked in general, but mostly for your use of the British-ism “Naff.” Love that.

Laineycrusoe likes this.
  8. Guy Smiley

I... I give up. :shrug:

I mean, you’ve heard “The Day We Fall In Love.” Right?

Grand_Ennui and MarkTheShark like this.
  9. Guy Smiley

MTV Christmas Medley. Love it back in ‘86, as I was indeed a Monkee Maniac at the time.

Watching it now? Sure. The guys are having fun, Peter is good on his brief moment with the Lennon song (More of it would’ve been nice), and the Nez “surprise” is still the best part.

Well... That, and seeing Martha Quinn again. :love:

3/5, for pure nostalgic charm.

JJR likes this.
  10. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Just to reiterate, I like ‘Love’s What I Want’, but I understand why it was regulated to bonus track status.

Have I got a great Martha Quinn story for you! You can find it in my book. (Shameless Plug) :winkgrin:

Guy Smiley likes this.
  11. Beatmusicfan

Beatmusicfan Forum Resident

MTV Christmas Medley- In this thread, I’ve looked back on the 1986 reunion performances and now realize how bad the arrangement of the songs were. I think someone briefly mentioned that the success of the tour was perhaps due to audiences wanting to SEE the Monkees instead of hearing them perform their songs like they were recorded. I strongly agree with this assessment.

This video/medley is an extension of that. Obviously, the vocal performances are secondary to the video antics. Having Nez’s participation further tips the scale in that equation. I can’t seriously grade the vocals, but for what it is, the vocals get a 1/5 and the video antics get a 3/5 for a 2/5 average.

12. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

In his autobiography Micky was pretty scathing about Davy...

He said that Davy had had some issues with managers and business people in the past and they had left him embittered. Micky said that it became unbearable to work with him in the 70s and that he was drinking heavily, was suspicious of everyone and everything and would be late for performances and rehearsals.

Then in the 80s he blamed Davy for screwing things up with Arista and MTV and said that he and Davy were at each others throats by 1989 when Micky decided he didn't want to continue with it.

13. Turk Thrust

The ratings for MTV Christmas Medley:

1-3
    2-6
    3-2
    4-1
    5-2

14. Turk Thrust

Today’s song is Unwrap You at Christmas:

My favourite of the new originals and a fun and energetic way to kick off the album.

Micky sounds very good here and it is another strong production.

Not Andy Partridge’s greatest song, but a good one all the same.

3.5/5.

Guy Smiley, pablo fanques and FJFP like this.
  15. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

"Unwrap You At Christmas" -- 3/5

Another Andy Partridge song, and like "Love's What I Want", I don't feel it's really up to par with what I expect from him. It's catchy, for sure.

Like most of Christmas Party, this sounds more like a like Fountains of Micky track than it does "Monkees".

BZync and D-rock like this.
  16. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I recall hearing something about Jones having one, but didn't know Micky had one.... Do you recall the name/year of release?

17. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"Unwrap You At Christmas"

Have to admit, when this first came out I tried to listen to it, and couldn't get through the whole thing - which pretty much ended any chance that I might buy the album. Got through it this time, but it's the kind of pastiche that Andy P could knock out in his sleep, and it's far too corny for me to take, however frivolous it's meant to be. 2/5.

JuanTCB, D-rock and BobT like this.
  18. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Unwrap You at Christmas-I have to agree with ARL above. This is is just very corny, and it tries too hard. Sorry, this one is barely a 2/5 for me.

D-rock and ARL like this.
  19. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Unwrap You At Christmas - I love Christmas and I’m a sucker for Christmas music, so this album and my love for the Monkees is a double header for me.

I like the song, it’s fun, a tad naughty, and Micky gives a good performance. It’s a bit similar to ‘Christmas Is My Time Of Year’, but it holds up on its own for me. 4/5.

Here’s the animated video for the song with the album mix. The previous one posted is the single edit mix.

20. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Micky did not.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  21. FredV

FredV Senior Member

D-rock and RobRoyF like this.
  22. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

My bad. Thanks for the correction

23. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Unwrap You at Christmas - 3/5

This song is pretty good - not that crazy about the lyrics. A solid start to the album overall.

intv7 and pablo fanques like this.
  24. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

Unwrap You At Christmas 3.5/5. Count me in as another one of the suckers for Christmas music. Fun song. It's great to have an entire album of Monkees Christmas music finally.

25. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Totally unremarkable but my main takeaway is that it could be a LOT worse.

A high 2/5.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    D-rock likes this.