Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. FredV

FredV Senior Member

D-rock and RobRoyF like this.
  2. BigManRestless

BigManRestless Forum Resident

Doesn't quite hit the top spot, a high 3/5

3. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Well, I've read posts elsewhere that seem to say "Christmas Party" is basically a Micky Dolenz Christmas CD, so there's that :)

D-rock, RobRoyF and Hooperfan like this.
  4. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

Mainly, except for the two great Nez and family contributions and the already released (reworked?) tracks from the others. I talked about this in the Christmas Party CD thread that Micky has been pretty much up to sing anything - Carole King, Kids tunes, etc. So if Micky wanted to do a Christmas LP and Nez agreed to contribute, the rest became pretty logical since a Monkees CD probably sells more than a Dolenz solo release. This is not a bad thing, I don't think but some may think so.

I listened to Christmas music around Christmas since I was a kid, so it is a tradition and I still have the now very old LP's. Now even my kids are grown but we break out those LP's, some newer music on Target CD's and Christmas Party is added to that mix. Unwrap is a 4 for me. I like the song and only a few low points on the CD for me and based on all my other posted scores in this thread everyone can figure I will give Nez songs high marks, so the low points become obvious.

Also, kudos to Turk Thrust for having the foresight to start the thread, timing it so we are discussing Christmas Party at Christmas - brilliant.

5. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Couldn't have said it better.

Unwrap 2/5

... I also don't care for Christmas music outside of Dolly Parton's Christmas music and Enya's "... And Winter Came"

ARL likes this.
  6. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

My tastes in Christmas music really only lean toward Alvin and The Chipmunks, Buck Owens "Santa Looked a Lot Like Daddy", and Chuck Berry's "Run, Run Rudolph"...

The Chipmunks because they're goofy enough, and with Buck and Chuck, the songs they did still sound like their normal records, yeah, Christmas themed, but to me they still sound like what you'd expect those guys to sound like at that time in their careers. Elvis' Christmas music from the 50s is somewhat okay too, for the same reasons I like the songs by Buck and Chuck, they "sound" like Elvis.

D-rock likes this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I like Elvis's Christmas stuff too

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  8. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

9. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

I’ll admit when this album first dropped last fall I was beyond disappointed, especially after the amazing Good Times which felt like the best possible way for this band to bow out. I didn’t even bother to listen to it at all last holiday season and the disc sat in my CD rack, dormant for over a year.

Thanks to this thread I would see the occasional praise given to it in advance of our discussion and figured “Well these guys really know what they’re talking about so maybe I’ll try again”.

I’m presently up to my 3rd spin within the past two weeks and though not a masterpiece, I’m definitely digging it. Really the only criticism is the absence of any other Monkees on each track. Micky sings with his usual 100% commitment and it’s a pleasure to spend the holidays with. ‘Unwrap..’ isn’t the greatest thing Andy Partridge ever put to paper but it’s catchy and fun and a 4/5 for me now

10. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Unwrap You At Christmas is the first of many 5/5’s on this album for me. I guess I’m just easily impressed (and a bit starry eyed) when it comes to The Monkees, but I think this is an excellent song.

11. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

Unwrap You At Christmas

Even the sleighbells can't save this one.

2/5

Keith V likes this.
  12. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

Unwrap you at Christmas. 2/5

13. BZync

BZync Senior Member

The Christmas CD wasn't an auto purchase for me. But I have downloaded two tracks. Unwrap You is one of them. Nothing spectacular but a fun lighthearted romp.

This thread is giving me the opportunity to revisit each track, so I may download a few more before this exercise concludes.

14. 905

905 Senior Member

2/5
    The two points are for Micky's still great voice.

JuanTCB likes this.
  15. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

'Unwrap You at Christmas' - I enjoy this one, and it's a good opener for the album. 3/5

pablo fanques likes this.
  16. David Austin

David Austin Eclectically Coastal

'Unwrap You At Christmas' sounds alright (more-or-less) for a Christmas song, but the lyrics are a bit off. Did Andy Partridge really write this? Perhaps he phoned it it in while concentrating more on making (Christmas) plans for Nigel. Here we have a song that represents a rather odd and unsatisfactory relationship; he objectifies her, and she keeps him waiting all year. (I'm the only fella in our house, and my wife and daughters think this is tosh at best.) How annoying that it's so catchy!

FJFP likes this.
  17. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

"Unwrap You at Christmas". A decent hook but it isn't strong enough to carry a 3:30+ song. And the lyrics... maybe if a woman was singing them, OK, but here...

2/5

18. jfmlaugh

jfmlaugh Forum Resident

The track by track evaluation for this album is going to be interesting and probably all over the place! I loved it from the start and the more and more I listen to it, the more an more I like it. But like I said before, I love Monkees Christmas 4/5.

19. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

"Unwrap You At Christmas" - Ok, confession time. I don't like most Christmas music. I got the Christmas Party album though because it's The Monkees. So if my ratings seem a little low it's just because I'm not a huge fan of this kind of music in general. Anyway, this one isn't too bad. It's nice and poppy sounding and Micky sounds good on it. 3/5

Bobby with a dollar likes this.
  20. I can see why some people view it that way, but it has two new Nez tracks, one new Peter vocal, and two Davy Jones oldies thrown in. Plus, if you get the Target Exclusive edition, you get Riu Chiu, which has all four guys, and Christmas Is My Time of Year, which has three of them.

I LOVE Elvis's '50s Christmas music. His first Christmas album, Elvis' Christmas Album from '57, is awesome. He totally did those Christmas songs in Elvis fashion. My regular rotation at Christmas is that Elvis album, Bing Crosby's White Christmas, the Vince Guaraldi Trio's A Charlie Brown Christmas, Christmas With Johnny Cash, and now Christmas Party.

Unwrap You at Christmas

Now that I’ve become familiar with all of the songs on this album, I’m not sure I would’ve picked this song as the first single, but I still like it. It’s solid. I’ve had it stuck in my head (in a good way) a few times. And I like the concept of a guy receiving his woman as a Christmas present—that’s a pretty good gift!

Grand_Ennui and pablo fanques like this.
  21. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I’m just a little surprised that no one had posted the Andy Partridge demo of ‘Unwrap You At Christmas’ from the RSD Black Friday double vinyl 45’s yet. :whistle:

22. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

Unwrap You at Christmas - 3/5
    I find this song to be a bit forgettable and not particularly strong, but not poor though and I don't skip it. It's bouncy and upbeat and it's performed well, but overall I think it's just an okay song.

23. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

Unwrap -- 3/5. It's pleasant and poppy, but nothing exciting.

24. TEDA

TEDA Forum Resident

Unwrap You is 2/5

This song is just too corny for me.

This album has some good tracks on it but the lack of collaboration/participation on each other’s tracks makes the whole thing kind of a letdown after Good Times.

We now know what Peter’s situation was, so it’s understandable.
    Also we know that Nez might have been a little disappointed with production on IKWIK last time so collaboration was not going to happen. So we get the best that is possible given this all

25. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I'm not even sure I can rate anything on this album with the exception of the 2 Nez tracks. The only songs I return to.

Grand_Ennui likes this.