Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

"Tomorrow's Gonna Be Another Day" is fun, and it's got really cool guitars and a sexy R&B/psychedelic/garage rock ala Wrecking Crew vibe. I can give it no less than a 3.5/5, which you can round up to 4.

2. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

I like "Tomorrow's Gonna Be Another Day"! It might not be the best song on the album but I often put it on mixtapes and playlists of songs by The Monkees that I really enjoy. A solid 4/5 from me.

Wil1972, The MEZ, robargebl and 3 others like this.
  3. elvismcdouglas

elvismcdouglas Forum Resident

My apologies for a brief thread-sidetrack, but I have always tried to remember the praises Little Steven sang the Monkees on his radio show, Underground Garage. This was years ago, and I can't locate his opinions anywhere online. Did anyone catch that particular show or know (in summary) why Little Steven loves them so much (and which albums)?

The MEZ likes this.
  4. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I give "Tomorrow's Gonna Be Another Day" 2.5 out of 5. I like the tremolo guitar and the energy, but the melody is lacking.

The MEZ and D-rock like this.
  5. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

Tomorrow's Gonna Be Another Day is good, but not very memorable. Pleasant album filler.

3/5

The MEZ likes this.
  6. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

TGBAD just a decent mid-sixties rocker. If it had been released a year later, would it seem dated? I give it a 3/5 only when in comparison to some of the future album tracks we will be rating.

7. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

4/5
    Love the harmonica in Tomorrow's Gonna Be Another Day. Great vocals. Fun song.

8. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

I think they made the right choice. “Horses” is OK, but nothing special IMO. Don’t understand the love for that one. It’s another early track I think maybe has sound quality issues too. Never sounded right to me.

Now, if you’re talking about “I Wanna Be Free” (Not “Tomorrow”) being a 1/5, I agree completely.

But to each their own. The differing opinions make this interesting.

Can’t imagine anyone’s going to praise “The Day We Fall In Love” though.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    Bill Diercks likes this.
  9. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

The UG channel definitely gives The Monkees a lot of love. Great channel. Stevie’s great, and I’ve noted before what a big fan I am of Chris Carter’s British Invasion.

Would love to see Stevie throw his influence behind getting The Monkees in the Hall of Fame. He stumped for Darlene Love (Who deserves inclusion) and got her in.

905, elvismcdouglas and mrbobdobalina like this.
  10. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

There's bound to be at least one.

11. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

"Tomorrow" is just aight for me-- I much prefer "Teardrop City" as Clarksville retreads go. Still, I'll give it 3/5.

Co-writer Steve Venet was the brother of Capitol/ Beach Boys producer Nick Venet. No idea how he hooked up with Tommy Boyce.

There's a couple of cool contemporaneous versions out there. Here's one from Sunset Strip garage legends The Sons of Adam:

pablo fanques and The MEZ like this.
  12. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

And one more by Sir Walter Raleigh and His Cupons. Born Walter Dwayne Midkiff, Sir Walter would move on to greater things (including some Monkees sessions) once he changed his name to Dewey Martin.

13. mrbobdobalina

And one by the Astronauts:

RobRoyF likes this.
  14. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

Here's where you can make a tv show and record connection. Valerie Kairys who was practically a supporting cast member was married to Nick Venet.

15. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

I do not know why he loves them so much but if you look at my posts, I have been sharing the Underground Garage DJ's opinions on the Monkees for the past several years. Little Steven as you know, but others may not, will give history lessons on everything from gangsters to literature and music. He has spoken on Boyce and Hart, the Monkees as a whole, the movie Head and probably other aspects of the group and it is always a positive view. The DJ's especially Michael Des Barres, the Mighty Manfred, Kid Leo and then Drew Carey all talk well about the Monkees again my older posts have quotes. Also, now on the Underground Garage is Rodney Bingenheimer who is a DJ who played the Monkees constantly for the past 50's in LA. Little Steven likes good music and the Monkees (whomever was playing) made good music. The best part is, they play the music alongside their 60's contemporaries with never a snide comment in doing so. Definitely worth a preset.

16. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

The ratings for Tomorrow's Gonna Be Another Day:

1-1
    2-2
    3-11
    4-7
    5-2

The MEZ likes this.
  17. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

Today's song is Papa Gene's Blues:

A cracking early piece of Nesmith songwriting and it says a lot that he would still sing it in his solo shows decades later, even when he was not performing any other Monkees songs. It says just as much that some other members would also perform it even when they were on bad terms with Mike.

The words display the lyrical dexterity that we would come to expect from him and he crams an awful lot into less than 2 minutes.

The alternate version is also pretty cool and in any form this is worth 5/5.

18. music4life

music4life Senior Member

A solid Nez classic! I give it 5/5

19. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

5/5.

I'm very tired of this song now. But this was the tune that caused the 11-year-old version of myself to become a Monkees fanatic when I heard it on a rerun during the mid-1970s. Could not get the chorus hook out of my head. The local record store had no Monkees records, so I took a portable tape recorded and started recording songs off episodes after that.

20. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I love this song, great through and through. 5/5, though I much prefer the mono mix as I don't like that vibraslap constantly sounding in the right speaker throughout the entire track. On the mono mix, it only appears on the intro.

21. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

YEEEEEHAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    a great tune to introduce the public to Michael Nesmith 5/5.

22. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

5/5
    Great country rock song right off the bat.

This and the next song are my 2 favorites on the 1st album.

Small disclaimer that Mike is my preference for Monkees songs......whether he wrote them or sang lead vocal........and a lot of Davy songs are not my cup of tea. Not 100% either way, but will show up

23. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

24. mrbobdobalina

World, meet Mike Nesmith. And he arrived fully formed. Those lyrics, that melody. Sheer brilliance. 5/5.

25. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member