Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

Magnetic South

Calico Girlfriend
    Nine Times Blue
    Little Red Rider
    The Crippled Lion
    Joanne
    First National Rag
    Mama Nantucket
    Keys to the Car
    Hollywood
    One Rose
    Beyond the Blue Horizon

Non-album tracks

Smoke! Smoke! Smoke!
    Rose City Chimes

Loose Salute

Silver Moon
    I Fall to Pieces
    Thank for the Ride
    Dedicated Friend
    Conversations
    Tengo Amore
    Listen to the Band
    Bye, Bye, Bye
    Lady of the Valley
    Hello Lady

Non-album track

1st National Dance

DmitriKaramazov, RobRoyF and The MEZ like this.
  2. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

Today’s song is Calico Girlfriend:

I couldn’t find a solo studio version on Youtube, so I had to link to a recent live performance. We are primarily discussing the Magnetic South version, however.

A fine way to start Mike’s solo career proper and I think the song works better here than it had as a samba.

The quality of the musicians he was working with is immediately apparent and Red Rhodes naturally shines.

A breezy and energetic album opener.

4.5/5.

3. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

Finally, back to material I know and can comment on! Woo-hoo!
    "Calico Girlfriend" - Great song, terrific album opener and a super shot across the bow announcing Nesmith's real solo career. The First National Band were an awesome backing group for him. All in all a high 4/5 from me.

4. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"Calico Girlfriend"- I give it a solid 3.5/5

pablo fanques and The MEZ like this.
  5. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Calico Girlfriend - At last we properly launch into Nesmith’s 70’s post-Monkees solo material. And what a great way to begin! Nez pulls no punches, he’s finally free to do the kind of music he’s been wanting to do.

The First National Band is great, especially the amazing Red Rhodes who takes ‘Calico Girlfriend’ and every song on ‘Magnetic South’ to a whole new level.

It’s fascinating to note the parallels between ‘Magnetic South’ and The Monkees last Album ‘Changes’ to the Beatles ‘Let It Be’ and the first ‘McCartney’ album, as they all were released pretty much around the same time. (I’ll save that discussion when we talk about ‘Magnetic South’ in whole).

My rating for ‘Calico Girlfriend’ - 4/5.

6. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Calico Girlfriend - 4.5/5

This is one of my favorites from Nez. Just a great, fun song. I prefer the Monkees-era arrangement one slightly over this one, even so this one with Red Rhodes on the steel pedal guitar is enjoyable. So many of these tracks feel ethereal to me. The first 4 Mike solo albums (FNB/SNB) are among my favorites for Mike's solo output.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    pablo fanques, The MEZ and Guy Smiley like this.
  7. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

"Calico Girlfriend" -- 5/5

Great start to the album. Red really shines here, and to my ear, this is the way to arrange this song.

8. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

While Calico Girlfriend on Magnetic South is a great tune, my favorite will always be from Live at the Palais. An LP which delivers 5 after 5 for me. This version I do like a bit better than the Monkees era track as I always (as many people do) enjoy Red Rhodes' efforts. I will give this a solid 4.

The MEZ likes this.
  9. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

Calico Girlfriend-- 5/5!

The MEZ and Guy Smiley like this.
  10. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

“Calico” is nothing short of 5/5. Great arrangement, vocal, and Red Rhodes takes this to another dimension entirely. “cosmic partners” indeed!

FYI, for those wondering what the hell “Calico” means in the first place (from Wikipedia):

Calico (/ˈkælɪkoʊ/; in British usage since 1505)[1] is a plain-woven textile made from unbleached and often not fully processed cotton. It may contain unseparated husk parts, for example. The fabric is far less fine than muslin, but less coarse and thick than canvas or denim, but it is still very cheap owing to its unfinished and undyed appearance.

The fabric was originally from the city of Calicut in southwestern India. It was made by the traditional weavers called cāliyans. The raw fabric was dyed and printed in bright hues, and calico prints became popular in Europe.

Printed calico was imported into the United States from Lancashire in the 1780s, and here a linguistic separation occurred, while Europe maintained the word calico for the fabric, in the States it was used to refer to the printed design.

So, there you go... Apart from this song, I’d always associated the term with cats. Also from Wikipedia:

These colorful, small-patterned printed fabrics gave rise to the use of the word calico to describe a cat coat color: "calico cat"

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    DmitriKaramazov, JJR, RobRoyF and 2 others like this.
  11. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

5/5 for CG

pablo fanques and The MEZ like this.
  12. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

...and I’m BACK! Wonderful effort to kick off Nez’s post Monkee career. Like George Harrison, he had a backlog of material that either wasn’t right for the group or there just wasn’t enough room. Calico Girlfriend is a little of both. I don’t see this one as ever having been a serious contender for a Monkees LP and it’s all the better for it as the new arrangement and the inclusion of Red Rhodes make all the difference. 5/5

13. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

Yeah, though ten Nesmith writing credits makes financial sense and he did produce other artists around this time such as Penny Arkade and the Corvettes.

Guy Smiley likes this.
  14. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

Well, I’m in a bit of a pickle now. There are only a few tracks between Calico Girlfriend and Lampost that I won’t score as a 5.

Oh well! Here goes....

Calico Girlfriend - 5/5

:) More later.

pablo fanques, The MEZ and Guy Smiley like this.
  15. Guy Smiley

“Palais” is so interesting to me, in that Nez “rocked up” all those earlier songs for that tour. At the time I first heard it (1987 or so?) I liked it more than the FNB sound. My young ears just didn’t fully appreciate the “country” of country-rock the way I do now.

I lean more towards the studio stuff now, as Red’s a vital part of the songs IMO, but I still like Palais. Wish Nez liked it more. I think an expanded edition (If the tapes exist — Iain Lee, are you out there?) would be sublime.

More when we get to that album.

JJR and pablo fanques like this.
  16. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

Seems like it’s just me and you, Guy. The US must be having a lazy morning.

Re your Calico post, are you familiar with the silver mining town of Calico?

The song was originally part of the Ballad of Calico album that Mike Murphey wrote for Kenny Rogers & the First Edition but this is the keeper from Murph’s debut album. He also does What Am I Doin’ Hangin’ Round on it. If you haven’t heard this album, it’s great.

17. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

I spoke to Al Perkins a few times when he toured with Kevin Montgomery. Of course I mentioned Palais and his face lit up.

As you say, more later.

18. Guy Smiley

I am being lazy too... Spending time here on this forum, all morning, having just finished a Monty Python’s Flying Circus mini-marathon on the IFC channel. Should really get moving, go the gym, do something with this day.

I did not know about that mining town! So maybe Nez’s song refers to that, rather than the (brightly patterned) clothes his girlfriend wears?

Will give this a listen. Hearing Murphey’s “What Am I Doing Hangin’ ‘Round” will be a treat. I don’t know Murphey well, beyond what Nez has covered.

That, and “Wildfire.” But I’ve tried my best to forget that one. Sorry. :hide: Looking forward to hearing this album though.

DaveJ likes this.
  19. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Calico Girlfriend
    5/5

What a way to start off his proper First National career.

(I kind of wish this was a separate thread).

20. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

Just to be clear, when I said “it’s the keeper” I was saying that I prefer Muphey’s version over the Kenny Rogers.

Note: there is no filler on Geronimo’s Cadillac!

pablo fanques likes this.
  21. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

If you could take Mike's vocal and acoustic from "Samba" and graft it on to London/Ware's rhythm section, that'd be my ultimate version. But Red probably gives this version the edge, regardless - that pedal steel is just insane.

5/5

22. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

"Calico Girlfriend". Get ready, because I think the first side of Magnetic South is as perfect as a single side of any LP can be. While "Calico Girlfriend" doesn't quite reach the heights of the songs to come, it's so close that it's still...

5/5

...for me.

Related: Circe Link covered "Calico Girlfriend" on her 2013 solo album, and parts of her arrangement (namely, the distinctive backing vocals) were incorporated into the version the FNB Redux has played in recent years. (Circe Link is a fairly prolific recording artist, and of course a member of the FNB Redux, part of the Mike & Micky revue, and longtime partner of Christian Nesmith!)

intv7, JJR, Guy Smiley and 3 others like this.
  23. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Calico Girlfriend 5/5

The beginning of the triptych. And a great beginning as well. The locale of Calico makes much more sense now.

I do really like Mike's Monkee version but the FNB is well polished. I love how Red is the lead player in the band. Nez was never that good at lead guitarist so Red was perfect leading on the Electric Hawaiian Pedal Steel Guitar.

Was that a first for a band to do that?

Dr. Pepper, DaveJ, JuanTCB and 3 others like this.
  24. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I love her vocals and on a lot of the Circe Link albums she uses vocal layering.

... which makes me really wish Nez had used Circe Link to provide music for "The Ocean" since he didn't feel the need to bother (except with genetic synthesizer noises).

What an awful way to end such a wonderful trilogy. What was he thinking? Oh well, more about that much later.

pobbard and DaveJ like this.
  25. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

The Michael Nesmith Album By Album Thread

Just not done song by song which I prefer better :) Although that's a great thread!

The MEZ, DaveJ and Guy Smiley like this.