Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Little Red Rider 5/5

Great end to the triptych. Nice bass. Rocking song. Like the alternate version on Monkees SDE of Present too. FNB does is best though. I was so thrilled to here the triptych during the Movies of the Mind concert in Cleveland.

RobRoyF, The MEZ and Guy Smiley like this.
  2. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

A great tune with a totally killer groove - the Johns deliver here in a huge way. The whole arrangement is pretty great, actually - an excellent reimagining of Mike's '69 take.

5/5

The MEZ, pobbard and Guy Smiley like this.
  3. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

I believe that if the horns version of "Little Red Rider" had been released in 1969, if might have done better than Good Clean Fun.

4. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

I prefer to think of it as a sordid little grief hole! ;)

DaveJ likes this.
  5. Turk Thrust

The ratings for Little Red Rider:

1-0
    2-0
    3-2
    4-1
    5-12

The MEZ likes this.
  6. Turk Thrust

Today’s song is The Crippled Lion:

I think this version is a sizeable step up from the earlier Monkees-era attempt.

It’s much more accessible, Mike’s voice sounds more natural and the tempo adds a little extra life to the song.

A quality production, aided again by the exemplary musicianship.

5/5.

The MEZ, JJR and Guy Smiley like this.
  7. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

"The Crippled Iion" Yet another Nesmith masterpiece. Love every version I've ever heard of this song but this is my favorite. 5/5

The MEZ, JJR and Guy Smiley like this.
  8. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"The Crippled Lion"- A solid 5/5

Great cut...

9. FredV

FredV Senior Member

The Crippled Lion - Wonderful song, well played by the entire band. The lyrics harken back to the earlier pre-Monkees song ‘Wanderin’.

Red Rhodes pedal steel guitar adds to the tunes’ melancholy. The version recorded during The Monkees period is very close to the finished FNB one which edges it out.

A definite winner. 5/5.

10. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

"The Crippled Lion" -- 5/5

An excellent example of Nesmith's superior songwriting ability. This is a perfect track.

11. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

What more I can say that hasn’t already? This “Lion” isn’t crippled. It soars. 5/5.

12. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Crippled Lion 5/5

pablo fanques, The MEZ and JJR like this.
  13. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

I really dislike the Monkees-era version of this song - something about the melody and chord progression just drives me up a wall - but the FNB take moves the song along and also has a rhythm section that's being quite rhythmic, thank you, so it's far more palatable.

Still one of my least favorite Monkees/solo crossover tracks, but if I have to hear it, this is my go-to.

3/5

The MEZ likes this.
  14. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Crippled Lion - 5/5

Perfect song - not fond of the odd title. A wistful song that I always enjoy. Quite heartfelt the way Nez sings it.

15. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

I am a Crippled Lion fan as well, especially this rendition. When a tune is a 5 it is a 5, and this one is.

16. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

The Monkees version is good; the FNB version is a whole head taller - better, more memorable arrangement fitting the song. Note-perfect all around as this killer LP side continues.

For Nesmith, one of his finest compositions ever.

5/5

pablo fanques, RobRoyF, intv7 and 2 others like this.
  17. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

This is cool:

18. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

This is from Red Rhodes' 1973 solo LP, Velvet Hammer in a Cowboy Band. The LP is post-FNB, produced by Nesmith. It's a interesting and pretty worthwhile companion to this era for Nez.

Red Rhodes - Velvet Hammer In A Cowboy Band

As far as I can tell, it's never gotten a CD or proper digital reissue, which is a shame, but all of the songs from it are available on streaming services as part of grab-bag Rhodes' compilations, in so-so fidelity (undoubtedly quick-n-dirty vinyl rips).

19. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

Crippled Lion-- 5/5

And where my foot steps down is where it's home…

20. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Red Rhodes also performs the instrumental version of ‘The Crippled Lion’ on the new 7a Records release of ‘Cosmic Partners’. You can hear it on this sampler video.

21. Bobby with a dollar

Bobby with a dollar Forum Resident

I really like the FNB version of "The Crippled Lion", it's much more lively than the Monkees era take on it, which is kind of bland. I have to give this a 4.5/5 only because it doesn't quite measure up to the opening 3 songs, still damn good though

22. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Fine, fine album. Hope we’ll take a day to discuss it here. If you’re a Nez fan (And you must be if you’re reading this) definitely pick this up!

23. FredV

FredV Senior Member

24. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

From the excellent Velvet Hammer In A Cowboy Band and, If I’m not mistaken, (and I could be) isn’t that an example of Red’s use of a Leslie speaker? I believe he deployed it on the album. The backing band is the Countryside house band. What a shame we only got to hear them on a few albums and singles.

On to song in question. The Crippled Lion - 5/5

That was so easy. I’m biased but in my opinion nobody does country rock as well as Papa Nes. A simple but heartfelt lyric, great melody and playing that is of the highest level.

I like it.

Oh, and let’s not forget the version from the Gretsch concert, added to Live At The Palais as a bonus cut. It falls below the FNB and Monkees versions but it was just great to hear Mike back in concert again.

25. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

If you don't like the "Crippled Lion" title, what's your take on "Papa Gene's Blues", "Daily Nightly", "Tapioca Tundra", "Good Clean Fun", etc. ? :)

pablo fanques, D-rock and RobRoyF like this.