Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Surprised Wax Minute hasn't received all 5s. What a great song and who else could have sung it with perfect range.

The version from the Zig Zag concert is pretty amazing with just Nez & Red. The unedited version from that concert is even more entertaining.

2. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

The ratings for Wax Minute:

1-0
    2-0
    3-1
    4-6
    5-10

The MEZ likes this.
  3. Turk Thrust

Today’s song is Bonaparte’s Retreat:

A rather nice cover of a standard and I prefer this to Glen Campbell’s later hit version.

Like most songs on this album it is stretched to its maximum possible length, but I think it works quite well in this arrangement. The stretches of semi-noodling lead to the chorus feeling like it has a little bit more energy when it kicks back in.

3.5/5.

The MEZ and RobRoyF like this.
  4. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

Another song that I enjoy with the volume up. I wish we had more of the stretched out Second National Band but sometimes life is hard. I recall being surprised when I head John Peel play this on his late evening Radio One Show. He said that he really liked it and described it as “psychedelic without drugs”. I don’t know about that although I know what he meant. I wasn't a regular listener and I never caught him playing Papa Nes again. He always had a place in my heart though, even when he “went punk”, as he was very complimentary about The Monkees’ Listen To The Band 45 in his column in Disc & Music Echo.

Bonaparte’s Retreat - 4/5

5. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

"Bonaparte’s Retreat" -- 3/5

This is a neat little psychedelic treatment that works well in the context of the album. Never been a favorite of mine, but I enjoy it.

pablo fanques and The MEZ like this.
  6. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

"Bonaparte's Retreat"
    My favorite song on the album. I know it's an older country song but man, Nez really makes it his own, a country-psychedelic masterpiece. My favorite cover song Nez ever did. What else can I say? I really really love this song. 5/5

7. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Bonaparte’s Retreat - Another favorite from the 'Tantamount' album. I love how the song starts slowly, almost like the band is just tuning up, and then the first verse kicks in loudly. A great performance by Nez and the band, with Red Rhodes playing a nice solo. We're in Pink Floyd country again. A tune I'd love to hear Nesmith and the FNBR tackle in concert. 5/5.

8. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Bonaparte's Retreat - 4/5

One of the highlights for me on this album. It fits in well with most of the other tracks. Nicely done cover.

pablo fanques, The MEZ and DaveJ like this.
  9. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

Bonaparte's Retreat - 4/5

10. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

Really enjoy the beginning, building up part as well as the rest of the tune. While most of the arrangements on this LP include some unusual choices, sounds, etc. they work for me even though they are not more traditional on say Nez' first three offerings. Another solid 4 on TTT!

Guy Smiley, DaveJ and The MEZ like this.
  11. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

5/5 here for Bonaparte. I used to work on a “Great Entertainer” station that played standards from the 40’s, 50’s and 60’s and Kay Starr’s version from 1950 was in regular rotation. Some years later when I finally acquired the Nez albums on CD I got a kick out of hearing his version and it’s always a welcome highlight when listening to TTT

12. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

"Bonaparte's Retreat"

I like. Not familiar with any other versions, though.

4/5

13. Bobby with a dollar

Bobby with a dollar Forum Resident

"Bonaparte's Retreat" is another 4/5 for me. I guess the reason I gave this one and "Wax" 4's instead of 5's is because 1) the weren't written by Nez and 2) compared to a large portion of the songs on the first 3 albums these just don't quite measure up to a top rating, very, very good songs that miss the coveted "5" by a slim margin (for me anyway)

DaveJ and pobbard like this.
  14. "R" Ed

"R" Ed Forum Resident

Bonaparte’s Retreat - 4/5

Love the double track at times with Nez and the Nez back up singers...LOL. I could really see FNB doing this one. Great song

15. Jumping a head I think but does anyone have the McCabe’s live show that 7A put out last year? Curious about how it’s mastered.

16. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"Bonaparte's Retreat"- 4.5/5

17. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

I love this one. It embodies what I like most about the album (stretch waaaaay out and get weird) and the layered harmonies are killer.

4.5/5

Guy Smiley likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Bonaparte's Retreat 3/5

Nice vocals by Nez, nice playing by the band .. Just don't care that much for the song. I rarely skip it though.

19. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

I think it sounds fantastic, but most of my listening is not on high end gear so I’m not sure that I’m qualified, or even allowed, to comment on it. I consider it a wonderful recording that holds up well. Highly recommended.

Grand_Ennui, pablo fanques and D-rock like this.
  20. FredV

FredV Senior Member

It was taken directly off a soundboard recording and slightly edited to eliminate excessive audience chatter. What you’re basically hearing is the show as it was recorded.

21. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Don’t know any other versions, but this is yet another cosmic slice of Nez-icana. The vocals and harmonies are great. Was wavering between 4 and 5, but screw it: 5/5.

22. Turk Thrust

Here is Kay Starr's earlier (and rather different) recording:

pablo fanques likes this.
  23. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Here’s Glen Campbell’s live take.

24. FredV

FredV Senior Member

If I may expand on my earlier comments on the song: I listened to a few other versions of 'Bonaparte's Retreat', including the ones by Kay Starr and Glen Campbell, and Michael Nesmith's take on it still astounds me. He takes a fairly well-known Country song, rearranges it with his little touches, and makes the song completely his own.

That's why it's not wise to dismiss a song Nez covers just because he didn't write it. A good singer will give a good performance of a song. A great artist will take that same song and put his unique signature on it and totally owns it as if he wrote it.

Not saying anything against the other Monkees who are all talented in different areas, but this is why Nesmith stood out from the rest of the group. When he puts his stamp on a song, doesn't matter if he wrote it or not, it's his.

25. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I know I read this somewhere -- that after "Do It In The Name Of Love"/"Lady Jane," Screen Gems sent a letter to "Mr. Mickey (sic) Dolenz" informing him that they were releasing him from his contract.

intv7 likes this.