Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Elusive Ragings - 3.5./5

This one fits well in the context of the album, for me anyway. I don't think it would be quite as strong as a stand alone track.

DaveJ likes this.
  2. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

“Elusive Ragings”: As Juan said earlier, it’s like nothing else in his catalogue. Cool stuff. It’s definitely a standalone, but a good one. Very strong 4/5.

DaveJ, pablo fanques and D-rock like this.
  3. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Elusive Ragings.

Like all the songs on this album I'm hearing it for the first time. It's a nice song, but doesn't engage me quite as much as Dance Between the Raindrops.

3/5

intv7 and DaveJ like this.
  4. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

The ratings for Elusive Ragings:

1-0
    2-0
    3-5
    5-4
    4-3

HitAndRun likes this.
  5. Turk Thrust

Today's song is Waking Mystery (the song starts about 15 minutes into this video):

I will repeat myself on this album as it's another song that is stretched beyond its natural length.

I also don't the tracks on The Prison are quite as distinctive as much of what Mike had done before. Due to the nature of the album, it was perhaps to be expected that the songs would drift into one to some extent.

3.5/5.

HitAndRun likes this.
  6. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"Waking Mystery"-3.75/5

HitAndRun likes this.
  7. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

"Waking Mystery"

This is another one I quite like. While I agree the melodies on these songs aren't so distinctive as his other work, there's a subtle quality to them that I like. I also like the way that the song just drifts a bit, and drifts out.

I'm playing the youtube video above, and the pedal steel work is really good. The keyboards on that version sound a bit 80s, but there are albums that suffer from that more. I guess this is one of the remixes, not the original album. The synth bass stands out a bit. But, it's OK.

Overall I find this an enjoyable track.

3.8/5

RobRoyF and Guy Smiley like this.
  8. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Turk nailed it with "repeat myself" - this almost seems indistinguishable from "Elusive Ragings" except not quite as catchy. Nez really was in fine voice during this period, though.

Regardless, I'm going to round down this time: 3/5

Guy Smiley and intv7 like this.
  9. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Waking Mystery - A lovely, lush song that works within the context of the storyline where the protagonist is awaken to a new world that has suddenly opened up around him. Red Rhodes pedal steel guitar playing really works here in conveying the wonder and emotions of the scene. 5/5.

10. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Waking Mystery 5/5. I started a post yesterday for Elusive Ragings but got distracted. 5/5 for that as well. It's just such a beautiful immersive album. The fact that the songs all blend into each other only adds to my enjoyment. Nez, as usual, was outside of and ahead of his time

Guy Smiley, D-rock and DaveJ like this.
  11. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

Missed a day but Elusive Ragings is a 5. Nez lyrics in this song are a deep as any, and that is saying something. I will give Waking Mystery a 4 as I am spinning side 1 now. The songs posted here are so much different than the original LP I have and listen. I think vocals, mix, pretty much everything, sounds almost like another song or someone else doing it. I do agree however that separating the songs is difficult and that in no way is negative. I remember thinking when I saw Nez was playing a tune in concert, maybe Maria's Theme, which is perhaps the best individual track on the LP, anyhow I wondered how it would mix with the other songs in the concert, being separated from other Prison songs. It was then, and still today that I realized that I have never played just a single song from this LP. I would do side one or side two at different times but I never dropped the needle on one song skipping the others. Not sure I can say that about any other LP ever.

12. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

Waking Mystery - 5/5

I’ve almost certainly played this album more than any other. Waking Mystery is a wonderful end to the first side. Bring on side two! :)

Guy Smiley, pablo fanques and D-rock like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Again, the songs lengths are also based on the reading. This album is a whole other animal. A beautiful one.

Waking Mystery 5/5

Love this song as well. Nez was in another dimension of time & space while writing these lyrics and music. He had tapped into universal creativity to its fullest.

"Soon the spirit will replace
    Substance found in time and space.
    Oh, my friend, you are quite fine.
    You see! There is no other mind."

14. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

Waking Mystery - 5/5

DaveJ and D-rock like this.
  15. TEDA

TEDA Forum Resident

Waking Mystery is 3/5

Just ok, a little didactic

16. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

"Waking Mystery" -- 3/5

Yep, very similar to "Elusive Ragings", just not as interesting.

17. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

“Waking Mystery” is another lovely piece that reminds of yesterday’s song a bit. As others have noted, Nez sounds great here, as does Red. I think he elevates this piece a bit.

Nice closure for side one (Something lost when streaming or listening to a CD, I guess). It’s another solid 4/5 for me.

At the risk of me repeating myself, this is an album where the whole will be of greater significance than its individual pieces.

RobRoyF, pablo fanques, DaveJ and 3 others like this.
  18. Bobby with a dollar

Bobby with a dollar Forum Resident

"Waking Mystery" is good but not great as a stand alone track. I'm going to join the 3/5 club on this one. Later, when we rate the album, I can see myself giving it a higher number than the average I give the individual tracks

DaveJ and Guy Smiley like this.
  19. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Agree with Guy re: the sum/whole/parts thing!

pablo fanques, Guy Smiley and D-rock like this.
  20. Turk Thrust

Today's song is Hear Me Calling (The song starts midway through this video):

This has a hint of one or two other Nez songs...or songs that Nez had covered perhaps.

A solid track and it's only a minute or so too long. :)

3/5.

21. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Nice. Like the layered vocals - reminds me of his '72-'73 vibe.

3/5

D-rock likes this.
  22. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

A song that almost defines Cosmic cowboy, Papa Nes. More western than anything else on the album, I love it.
    But you knew that, anyway.

A perfect fade in to Marie's Theme, too.

Hear Me Calling - 5/5

23. TEDA

TEDA Forum Resident

Here Me Calling is 4/5

There’s something extra about this one that pushes it to a 4. Maybe it’s that baseline.

24. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Hear Me Call - A beauty of a song, the most Country-like tune on the album. It’s almost reminiscent of ‘Tumblin’ Tumbleweeds’ in melody.

The layering of the instrumentation and vocals in the remix gives it a more ethereal tone. This song could easily stand on its own apart from the album and concept. 5/5.

25. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

5/5 for Hear Me Calling. Nice to get a dose of country here. Mixes well with the new age vibe of the whole project. Cosmic Cowboy indeed

RobRoyF, Guy Smiley and D-rock like this.