Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

I like the bridge a lot, but the '50s pastiche element of the verses coupled with the falsetto means that "Magic" has never had a long leash with me.

3/5

2. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Magic - I love the song and the video. I also love 50’s Doo Wop, so this song and the video imagery works for me. Getting used to Nesmith’s new musical and artistic direction took a little doing at the time, but it was worth it.

What makes Nez great is that he’s a creative artist who’s not reluctant to try something different. His work is slightly similar to David Bowie in this sense, as Bowie was another artist who was not afraid to take chances.

That in itself makes it a rewarding experience when you delve deep into Nesmith’s solo catalog. 5/5.

seeknom, pablo fanques and RobRoyF like this.
  3. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Coming late to the “Dance” party, but I agree there’s not much happening here lyrically. I guess Nez can write big, dumb (Not “stupid,” mind you), goofy rockers too.

The tune rocks, and it’s fun, but this is not a standout of the Nesmith catalogue. I won’t go so far as to call it “generic,” but this song could’ve written and performed by just about anyone. There isn’t really a distinctive hook here that other “dance” rockers from the 70s do (Think the Stones “Dance Little Sister,” or Van Halen’s “Dance the Night Away” from around the same time as Nez’s song).

Kinda like it anyhow, and it kicks off the album with a bang. Too bad it doesn’t have a fun video to go with it. 3.5/5.

4. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I like the 50s element(s) of the song...

D-rock and pablo fanques like this.
  5. Guy Smiley

Nez was going in a more lo-fi direction with that video. ;)

pablo fanques likes this.
  6. Guy Smiley

“Magic” is fun song, with a fun video (That he made later? It looks newer than either Rio or Cruisin’ somehow) to boot.

Not a masterpiece, but I do like it. Sometimes I like the falsetto, sometimes I find it a bit much. The overall 50s style works though. Solid 4/5.

HitAndRun, pablo fanques and RobRoyF like this.
  7. FredV

FredV Senior Member

There’s no proper video for ‘Dance’, but it is played during the end credits of ‘Elephant Parts’.

8. FredV

FredV Senior Member

‘Magic’ is one of the songs filmed exclusively for ‘Elephant Parts’.

D-rock, pablo fanques and Guy Smiley like this.
  9. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

Magic-- a solid 4/5

10. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

Magic was magic for me right away. This is one of the songs I sought out on the LP and would play a lot. I also thought maybe this would be a hit and return Nez to wild popularity, as in Monkees type popularity. Although that didn't happen he was getting some attention with the Cruisin' video being played around this time. A song we will get to shortly. 5 for Magic.

pablo fanques and RobRoyF like this.
  11. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Magic - 4/5
    This track works well. Near perfect retro-sound.

12. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

I don't mind it in a vacuum - I mean, I love early rock, doo-wop, etc. in general - but I'm just burnt out on the whole '50s retro thing that was going on in the '70s, culturally-speaking. The post-Watergate/Vietnam/Nixon thing of looking back to a simpler time or whatever. Happy Days-itis, I guess - that first wave of nostalgia from the boomers. It's a cyclical thing - and I'm a total hypocrite because I loved the whole retro '60s thing that emerged in the '80s when I was in high school. I mean, hell - that's probably why I discovered some multi-media creation that I've been dissecting on a message board every day for the last year and a half!

13. Guy Smiley

Link, please? ;)

14. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

You don't want to get sucked in to it - trust me! :laugh:

intv7, pablo fanques and Guy Smiley like this.
  15. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

When I first heard/saw "Magic" in the late 80s, I didn't care for it at all. But now I love it! It was probably his singing in falsetto was what put me off the first time around...but time can change one's opinion, that's for sure

4.5/5

HitAndRun, pablo fanques and FredV like this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Magic 4/5

This was the first solo Monkees album I bought back in the mid-80s. I really didn't think it was Nesmith singing. I kept reading the album credits that say vocals by Joe Chemay. I was so confused. Lol. Eventually I figured it out. My second solo Nez album was Live at the Palais. Kinda worked my way backwards.

Magic to me had a hit sound and quality to it. I had felt like I'd heard it before. It's a fun song, like the rest ... I agree though, the songwriting is pretty simplistic average compared to his previous work.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  17. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

Magic - 3.5 / 5

Grand_Ennui and HitAndRun like this.
  18. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

A day late...

“Dance” is fantastic. Unlike almost anything Nez has ever done. Back in 1979 this song, and especially his vocal, was SO unexpected! I love the guitar part that kicks in at about the 1:55 mark. I love this song.

5/5.

“Magic” is a fun song. Another unexpected vocal by Nez. Anyone here remember calling the Pacific Arts hotline for “irregular updates” on Nez back then? I called it over and over just to hear “Magic” play through to the beep at the end of the call.

4/5.

RobRoyF, pablo fanques and D-rock like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I only recall the Monkee Business Fanzine Hotline and the Rhino Monkees Hotline.

I did have a subscription and got the Pacific Arts catalogs. There was always a message from Nez in the intro. They sent me some brochures too. Used to talk to a guy there on the phone. Can't remember his name. Jim Cohen? We talked about The Garden and the original album art that was later rejected. He said he had a really cool poster of The Garden that has a hologram of the cover which is what the original album work was supposed to have. He said he may send it to me. Unfortunately, he must have changed his mind or couldn't part with it. Understandable.

20. Bobby with a dollar

Bobby with a dollar Forum Resident

"Magic" is a little more like it, I really like this song. Having been born in 1962 to an 18 yr old music loving mom I grew up on the sounds of the 50's and early 60's. I think that I destroyed all 200 of her cherished 45's on the Close-n-Play by the time I was five. 4.5/5

RobRoyF, pablo fanques and D-rock like this.
  21. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

I still remember dialing the hotline and hearing "Magic"! Kind of magical now that I think about it.

22. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

The ratings for Magic:

1-0
    2-0
    3-4
    4-10
    5-2

The MEZ and HitAndRun like this.
  23. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

Today's song is Tonite:

The word "eclectic" comes to mind again when thinking about this album, and Mike was very bold in many of his choices. Well...as bold as any multi-millionaire who has nothing to lose can be, I suppose. ;)

I appreciate the energy of this one and have always enjoyed the keyboard solo (by, I presume, John Hobbs) near the end.

I also always associate it with the Elephant Parts DVD which brings back fond memories.

4/5.

24. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

I love everthing about this, from the walking disco basslines to the synths to the ridiculously over the top vocal. An all-time great, and it's funny as hell.

5/5

25. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Tonight - Another great tune out of 'Infinite Rider'. The song on its own was fun, the video was even better with its playback of scenes from 'Elephant Parts' with additional bits. I love Nesmith's self-referring lyrics of people living inside the tube made up of little thin lines with blue fingers. It's perfect as the closing song of 'Elephant Parts' with its brilliant lunacy. 5/5.