Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Micky at his most refined and professional - it suits the song well.

3.5/5

HitAndRun and pablo fanques like this.
  2. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"Somewhere Out There"-3.5/5

3. Bobby with a dollar

Bobby with a dollar Forum Resident

Micky's vocal delivery is much better on "Somewhere Out There" but overall, the song is just too mellow for me, heck, it's way too mellow for my Sun. morning hangover mix. The song is nicely done and gets a 3/5 even though it's really not my thing

4. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Somewhere Out There - 3.5/5
    Nicely done and subdued. Enjoyable for me.

5. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

The ratings for Somewhere Out There:

1-0
    2-0
    3-6
    4-3
    5-1

The MEZ and HitAndRun like this.
  6. Turk Thrust

Today's song is Put On a Happy Face:

We take another step down here imo...

Micky is back to over-emoting and, while I can understand it, I'm not sure this song needs such enforced jollity. The lyrics and tune are upbeat enough as it is, without the need for the vocalist to add extra positivity with the delivery.

The cutesy production doesn't help matters, and I'm not sure of the wisdom of Micky's scat singing towards the end. It kind of feels like the producers needed to be a little stricter in terms of reining in Micky's more excessive tendencies.

I do like the fact that he covered Dick Van Dyke on this album, even if the results were mixed...

2.5/5.

7. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Put on a Happy Face

Well, there is definitely variety on this album. Cheesy, though slickly done, intro and then kids. It makes me dread the reappearance of the kids, but the interjections around the solos appear to work. They do appear later but not too much, and not sickly sweet.

I do feel that once this song was chosen, that an unstoppable process was set in motion that landed us with the finished result.

The scat singing was OK, and Micky doesn't over-do the vocal. His performance suits the song.

The production is well done, but for a style that I don't really like.

2.8/5

RobRoyF likes this.
  8. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Put On A Happy Face - From the Broadway musical ‘Bye Bye Birdie’, originally done on stage and film by Dick Van Dyke.

A fun number, and it’s charming hearing Micky’s daughters joining in. I think the scatting adds to it.

As a theater buff, I think Micky’s rendition of the song is fine. 4/5.

Here’s Dick Van Dyke with the original Broadway cast of ‘Bye Bye Birdie’ performing the number on the Ed Sullivan Show.

RobRoyF, pablo fanques and HitAndRun like this.
  9. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

I just listened to Micky scat yesterday on the M and M show CD, which is my driving music the last few months. I think he enjoys that and think he thinks he does a good job at it. Sounds better to me on Alternate Title and Goin' Down, it is not bad here but I can see where both Turk and HitAndRun are coming from. I would guess I will never listen to this particular track again but I do think Micky performed it as they wanted, just not my thing.

HitAndRun likes this.
  10. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

I really like this! I don't mind the kids or scatting (I can't believe I just wrote that), I love the arrangement, and while Mick's hamming it up, he's got a bit of a rough/bluesy edge in his voice - I mean, he could have gone into full cartoon mode and that would have made this unbearbale but instead he finds an interesting balance that's not part of his usual repertoire and it definitely works.

4/5

11. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

This one has a bit of character to it. I'm in a good mood today so another 4/5 for me.

If this came on while I was in a foul mood, it wold probably annoy me pretty quickly though, ha ha .

RobRoyF and pablo fanques like this.
  12. Grand_Ennui

"Put on a Happy Face"- 2.75/5

pablo fanques likes this.
  13. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Having thought more about this, I want to bring my vote up to:

3.5/5

I've decided I like it more now that I've thought about it a bit.

RobRoyF likes this.
  14. Turk Thrust

The rating for Put on a Happy Face:

1-0
    2-1
    3-2
    4-3
    5-0

HitAndRun likes this.
  15. Turk Thrust

Today's song is You're Never Full Dressed Without a Smile:

A fitting song thematically to follow yesterday's track, and Micky's performance is more of the same. Again, it's not to my tastes and is too OTT for me.

Obviously I can't complain too much about him giving theatrical performances on a Broadway album, but I think he and Davy were always at their best when they toned it down.

2.5/5.

16. FredV

FredV Senior Member

You're Never Full Dressed Without a Smile: From the musical ‘Annie’. This is a unique arrangement for the song, done in New Orleans Mardi Gras style. Micky’s performance is wonderfully theatrical and it works. Another one he should do in his ‘A Little Bit Broadway’ show. 4/5.

The original ‘Annie’ Broadway cast performing the song.

pablo fanques, HitAndRun and RobRoyF like this.
  17. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

This is the song that I am least familiar from the CD. I surely prefer it to the one Fred posted, which definitely is not my thing. Given what we have heard so far, Micky has done a good job with the material and adapted the songs to fit him and for those who are not big Broadway fans as well.

RobRoyF likes this.
  18. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Put On A Happy Face - 3/5
    This is not the type of music I seek out. Even so I can enjoy it once in a while. It' fun. Micky does a good job here.

You're Never Full Dressed Without a Smile - 3/5
    What a jazzy number here. I haven't listened to this album all that much overall. Perhaps I could change my mind. Perhaps getting a little older makes me appreciate it a tad more.

pablo fanques and HitAndRun like this.
  19. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Much like yesterday, I dig it! Mick finds the perfect balance between schmaltz and r&b, the arrangement is great, and the backing vocals are the icing on the cake.

4/5

pablo fanques and HitAndRun like this.
  20. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

You're Never Fully Dressed Without A Smile

Actually I like the jazzy style of this one. More variety for the album. While Micky hams it up a bit, I think it suits the song better than some of the others. I like the bit where the backing vocals fade in.

This could work well as a change of pace on a more rock/pop album.

3.2/5

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  21. Bobby with a dollar

Bobby with a dollar Forum Resident

"You're Never Fully Dressed..." is my favorite song on the album and almost always makes it onto my solo Micky sampler cd's. Another fine backing track with vocals that don't make me cringe for a change. 4/5

22. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

Well, for 25 years I thought this album was just sort of meh... yet, here we are and I'm giving another track a 4/5?

At the time of this album's release, I was ready for some rock and roll from Micky. But since we've gotten that since then-- I think I can appreciate this record a little more (even if I find the production a little slick in places.)

23. Grand_Ennui

"You're Never Full Dressed Without a Smile"- 3/5

HitAndRun likes this.
  24. Turk Thrust

The ratings for You're Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile:

1-0
    2-1
    3-3
    4-4
    5-0

The MEZ and HitAndRun like this.
  25. Turk Thrust

Today's song is NeverEnding Story:

I never thought I would see the day when this composition would become trendy, but I guess that's what happened due to Stranger Things (though not this version obviously).

The original Limahl has plenty of cheesy 1980s charm, and a fair amount of quality due to it coming from Giorgio Moroder.

I think Micky's version is a successful update, and it has a sense of dignity and elegance about it. The slower tempo isn't necessarily an improvement on the original, but it does mark it out as something different.

A low 4/5.