Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

Zip Ribbon - 4/5

Dynaflow - 3/5

Friedrider - 2.5/5

Carhop - 2.5/5

I much prefer to play the album in full rather listen to individual tracks, with the exception of the couple of vocal numbers. Zip Ribbon is a strong opener but the next three don't do much for me.

D-rock, JJR and HitAndRun like this.
  2. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I told you, I’ve got a million of ‘em! :D

D-rock and HitAndRun like this.
  3. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Carhop kind of gets on my nerves when it goes into that herky-jerky... verse? Who knows. This is one I definitely prefer to just kind of forget to pay attention to in the context of the full album.

2.5/5

D-rock and HitAndRun like this.
  4. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Carhop

This is difficult to evaluate due to the sound quality of the clip. I agree with what has been said. There are some good musical ideas, but it doesn't really get anywhere. Unlike the previous track I don't really imagine this one having a vocal line. It is what it is, and while the piano is well played, for example, there needs to be more.

2.8/5

RobRoyF, D-rock and DaveJ like this.
  5. Bobby with a dollar

Bobby with a dollar Forum Resident

"Carhop" - I agree with the others in that it gets a little repetitive and the synth horns don't help. Maybe my least favorite tune on side 1 (tracks 1-6) 3/5

HitAndRun, D-rock and DaveJ like this.
  6. NudieSuitNezHead

NudieSuitNezHead No Michael, "teriyaki" is NOT 13 letters...

I just play them all on random shuffle...

HitAndRun and DaveJ like this.
  7. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

“Carhop” is heavy on the synths again... But I don’t dislike that here. There’s nothing terribly interesting, let alone innovative, about this. Just a fun little rollicking number.

Still don’t understand the point of any of this, but I like it just the same. Taking it one track a time for now, but I suspect the whole may be greater than the sum of its parts.

We’ll see if that’s true once we get to the back half. 3/5.

RobRoyF, DaveJ, HitAndRun and 2 others like this.
  8. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

The ratings for Carhop:

1-0
    2-5
    3-4
    4-1
    5-0

HitAndRun likes this.
  9. Turk Thrust

Today's song is Boomcar:

Another song that is not top-tier Nez, and again the dated production and instrumentation doesn't help.

This is at least quite good fun and feels like Mike tapping into his frivolous side. The lyrics come across as a little half-finished and throwaway, but they bring a smile.

Mike's voice is a little frayed here and there.

3/5.

The MEZ and HitAndRun like this.
  10. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

Ah, Boomcar. I remember the excitement when Rays was announced. I remember asking Videoranch one key question: is there any pedal steel guitar on it? The reply still amuses me: “Wait until you hear Boomcar blasting out of the clubs”.

When it came out I asked a friend’s son who was very much into the London dance club scene about it. He just smiled and said it sounds like his dad trying too hard.

Well, I quite like it (and I don’t do dance clubs) so.... Boomcar - 3/5

jeremylr, The MEZ, HitAndRun and 6 others like this.
  11. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

Boomcar is one of my favorites on the CD. I like the groove and especially like the refrain part. I can see why someone would say something about it being played in clubs although until I read DaveJ, I never really had thought about it that way. Maybe I was too old then and definitely too old now for that. Kind of like Cruisin with a faster tempo. This is a 4.

12. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Boomcar - This is another song that has a Santana/Latin groove to it. I love the way the music builds during the middle parts, Nez and the band sound like they’re having fun with this one. 5/5.

The MEZ, HitAndRun and pablo fanques like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Boomcar 3/5

Not a big fan of this tune but it's not horrible or u listenable. I don't skip it.
    It was excluded on 'Symphony of Rays', which I listen to more often than 'Rays'.

HitAndRun and DaveJ like this.
  14. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

"Boomcar" -- 2/5

Makes "Tahiti Condo" sound like "Propinquity".

15. Bobby with a dollar

Bobby with a dollar Forum Resident

"Boomcar" I like quite a bit, the heavier beat and some nice keyboard sections make it an album favorite. 4.5/5

I had a pipedream a few years ago where I imagined the M.M.P. version of the Monkees were playing some summer festivals as the "heritage" act and for the encore at Bonnaroo brought Run-D.M.C. out for a "Boomcar" / "Mary Mary" collaboration. It, of course, brought the house down. Pretty strange huh?

16. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Carhop - 2.5/5
    This is just OK, maybe a bit too long. It really does not hold my attention much.

Boomcar - 3/5
    An added plus to this one is a Nez vocal. I have to be in the right mood to really dig this track, which is what I would say about a third of this album.

HitAndRun and pablo fanques like this.
  17. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I always thought he sold himself short on what he did within the context of The Monkees too...

18. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

This kind of sounds like it could be on Stranger Things Have Happened.

Mike's voice sounds pretty good in places and I like the rhythm but there's just way too much going on here for what really isn't much of a song at all - all frosting, no cupcake.

I know it'll be rounded down but I just can't give this a 3. 2.5/5

D-rock, HitAndRun and pablo fanques like this.
  19. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

“Boomcar”... A little Santana (Minus the guitar heroics) meets War meets... Yeah, I really dunno. It’s not bad, but it’s also my least favorite track from Rays thus far.

FWIW, I can’t imagine hearing this in a dance club (Not that you’ll ever find me at one, so... :shrug:). The idea of someone’s dad trying a bit too hard to make a dance hit seems closer to the mark.

So there’s a car/driving theme to this album. Got it. But beyond that I’m not sure what Nez was going for. It’s a fun little album so far. Not much more than that, but for a (then) 62 year old country rocker it’s kinda ambitious.

Juan’s right. 2.5/5.

D-rock, HitAndRun and pablo fanques like this.
  20. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Boomcar

The rhythm is immediately interesting, and the organ solo is good. But, like others, I don't hear enough of an actual song here. Nez's vocal is fine.

3.1/5

RobRoyF likes this.
  21. Turk Thrust

The ratings for Boomcar:

1-0
    2-3
    3-5
    4-2
    5-1

HitAndRun likes this.
  22. Turk Thrust

Today's song is Best of It (it starts at around 3:45):

If this is Best of It, then what does Worst of It sound like??? ;)

I think Mike played all of the instruments on this, but he might have used his time better by focusing on the songwriting. A dull and repetitive instrumental which could be the least worthwhile piece on the album.

It sounds completely out of step with the period it was released and feels like Mike trying too hard to be something that he wasn't.

1.5/5.

RobRoyF, intv7 and HitAndRun like this.
  23. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Best of It

I really like the rhythm guitar. Simple but effective. But, I'm then left waiting for the track to begin, and it doesn't.

2.5/5

RobRoyF and D-rock like this.
  24. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Spot on

Best of It 2.75/5

HitAndRun likes this.
  25. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Best Of It - A little Electronica with a bit of guitar thrown in. Would have fit into a small scene on a movie soundtrack. 3/5.

HitAndRun and D-rock like this.