Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Ed's October Cafe - 2/5
    Another incidental music track that does not do much for me. Sorry, Nez.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    HitAndRun likes this.
  2. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

I can handle dissonance with real strings but not fake ones - then it just becomes irritating. Especially cheap-sounding fake ones.

I can appreciate the compositional efforts going on here but the best I can say is that this sounds like a demo. The only thing saving it from el uno grande is the fact that there is some kind of vision behind this mess, but man is the execution putrid.

2/5

D-rock, HitAndRun, Guy Smiley and 2 others like this.
  3. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

The ratings for Ed's October Cafe:

1-1
    2-5
    3-6
    4-0
    5-0

HitAndRun likes this.
  4. Turk Thrust

Today's song is Rays:

When this album first came out, I would probably have spoken long and loud about the genius of this song.

Over time the faults have become more evident and they are mainly concerned with the production. If the synths had replaced with authentic instruments, then this might have been close to a classic.

It would have been interesting if they had attempted to improve on an imperfect later production like this on the new Dolenz Sings Nesmith album (which is not a complaint about the songs that we are getting).

3.5/5.

5. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

Rays - One Of the best two songs on the album by a (non-country) mile. Ideally, in my world, this would have been played by the Second National Band or at least the synths would have been dumped but either way, it’s a keeper.

Rays - 4.5 / 5

6. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

"Rays" -- 3.5/5

Definitely one of the better tracks on this album. When I first heard it, I was at least glad to finally hear Michael's normal singing voice make an appearance in something that sounded somewhat like a standard Nez song. However, its charm didn't really shine through until I saw him do it live with a full band in 2013. The album version, like the rest of Rays, suffers from the heavy use of synths, but there's a nice little song in there.

7. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Rays - I didn’t really appreciate the beauty of this song until I heard Nez perform it live with a full band on the 2013 Movies of the Mind tour.

Revisiting the studio version with the synths gives it an almost orchestral sound and I’d love to hear a version with a full, live orchestra.

Another Nesmith classic. 5/5.

Live Rays

8. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

“Rays” (The song) is... OK. Nice to finally have an actual song with Nez singing, free of any effects.

The synth-y production dominates, and as others note actual orchestration, or at least organic instruments, would’ve served the song better.

Dunno that’s there’s really much to this song lyrically either. “rays, phase, days...” seems kind of “moon, spoon, June” to me.

Beauty can found in a ray of light, such as a sunbeam, sure. Something seemingly simple, yet quite complex. But I’m not at all clear on what Nez is going for here. Anyone care to share thoughts?

Decent little song that sets a peaceful mood. 3.5/5.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  9. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Rays

This is a nice song, but the arrangement is not very good in my opinion. I'd like to hear the live version mentioned above. Or just an acoustic guitar/vocal version.

The backing here ruins the song for me. And I like synthy stuff.

2.8/5

RobRoyF, intv7, DaveJ and 1 other person like this.
  10. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

Rays is a 5. I immediately liked it from the first listen when the CD came out. I guess I didn’t really have a take on synths but will say that one day I was listening to E street radio and Nils Lofgren was guest DJ. He played several synth heavy songs and went on praising how great Danny Federici or Roy Bitton had played the parts. I immediately thought of what we had listened to here and how many negative reviews of synth parts we get on the thread. I suspect there are good synth parts and bad and maybe actual good or bad synthesizers and of course good or bad playing of those parts on synthesizers. Nils did point out how those synths created a mood for the song and I agree and like the mood these synthesizers have created for the song Rays.

11. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Rays - 3/5
    I enjoy this tune but not quite top shelf. I kinda have to be in the mood for it much like for some of the rest of this album.

HitAndRun, The MEZ, intv7 and 2 others like this.
  12. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

Rays
    4.5/5

more Real instruments would’ve given this one a full 5

HitAndRun, The MEZ and D-rock like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Rays 4.5/5

One of Nez's best. Like was mentioned above, this and another tune are the best songs on the album.

There is an alternate version that Nez has available on VR3D that has more guitar playing, still synth heavy but the guitar playing kind of balances it out a bit.

Videoranch - Rays 1.2003

I kind of get where he's going with the song, lyrically but I wish he'd explain it in true Nez fashion.

Nez Lyrics: Rays

The Lyrics of Michael Nesmith

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  14. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

That live version Fred posted is pretty much perfect and totally bringing me back to that night. I keep looking for myself in there - I must have been just off camera. I can't say that "Rays" was the highlight of the show but it was definitely an unexpected perk.

Anyway, the studio version... a better vocal but way too overwrought. How about some drums? Even fake ones like Paul Leim used on the '13 tour? Any sembance of rhythm at all here would be nice and could even propel the song a little bit. The melody shines through better on the live version just because it can breathe a bit without those technicolor sheets of synth strings washing over everything here. I agree with Fred - I'm glad it was played live because it definitely gave me a better appretiation for the song.

3.5/5

15. Turk Thrust

The ratings for Rays:

1-0
    2-0
    3-6
    4-3
    5-2

HitAndRun and The MEZ like this.
  16. Turk Thrust

Today's song is Bells:

I like this more than some of the instrumentals on the album and there are some nice melodic ideas.

There are also some less impressive production touches and it sounds horribly dated (a constant complaint...).

This could have come straight from Ferris Bueller's Day Off and has movie soundtrack written all over it.

3/5.

HitAndRun and Guy Smiley like this.
  17. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

"Bells" -- 2/5

Sounds like Yanni meets Cypress Hill. And there's some more of that synthetic dissonance that JuanTCB was referring to a couple tracks back.

Not anything I've had much interest in going back and listening to since 2006.

18. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Bells - A pleasant instrumental, has a soothing quality to it, and I agree with Turk that it has a nice melody running through it. A tad repetitive, but it’s still fine. 3/4.

D-rock likes this.
  19. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

Bells 3/5

HitAndRun likes this.
  20. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Cypress Hill - hahahaha, perfect! I got a bit of a House Of Pain vibe when DJ Nishwash dropped the beat, too.

This sounds like Danny Elfman with a hangover. Whatever Mike was going for here... I just don't hear it. 2/5

21. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Bells - 2.5/5
    This is just OK - not great. More background music type of track. Not a memorable track for me.

HitAndRun likes this.
  22. Guy Smiley

Oh, now I gotta hear this...

Just did. Pretty much as you described it, though Cypress Hill mostly gives way to Yanni pretty quick.

This is the longest track on the album, and it shows. This might’ve worked as part of a film score, but here, in this context, it drags a bit.

I haven’t really hated anything on Rays, but I like some more than others. This one’s an “other.” 2.5/5.

HitAndRun, pablo fanques and intv7 like this.
  23. Guy Smiley

“DJ Nishwash”... Elfman after a bender. You guys are killing me today.

Truth though. Even for Nez this a really unusual album.

24. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

Other than going on a bit too long I like Bells. I Like the melody and again without vocals my rating just can’t go above a 3.

HitAndRun, pablo fanques and D-rock like this.
  25. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Bells 4/5

Another tune that has me feeling it's ebb and flow and a nice climatic section. The bells remind me of "Life Becoming" from The Garden.

HitAndRun, pablo fanques and JJR like this.