Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Diary - A lovely cover of the Bread song. The double tracked vocals work in the chorus and Micky’s performance is excellent. Always good to hear a nice rendition of an unfamiliar song. Micky owns it. 5/5.

HitAndRun, pablo fanques and The MEZ like this.
  2. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

One of my sisters had the Best of Bread, so I’ve heard this song thousands of times. Micky’s is a good version and I can see now that this release is a half a step above King For A Day and will be my next purchase. This next tidbit is related to our topic in a couple ways: my favorite David Gates written tune is Been Too Long On The Road. The Mark Lindsay version, who also has ties to the Monkees especially Micky as they duetted on Steppin’ Stone during one of the many oldies tours. Monkees also appeared on Raiders show back in maybe 68-69. (Don’t have Sandoval book handy). Raiders have an eclectic catalog like Monkees and Lindsay’s solo stuff is kind of like Micky’s - other famous writers, standards, mellow pop tunes. Worth checking out. Back to the task at hand, this song is a good solid 4.

RobRoyF, HitAndRun and jeremylr like this.
  3. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

Surprisingly I was not familiar with this song before this record came out. I have probably heard it before and didn’t realize it. I’m not familiar with a lot of breads music in general.

4/5 for me. Micky sounds great. It might be his best performance on the record. Oh— What the heck.. I’ll give it a 4.5/5 lol

4. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Diary

I agree this is a good song, and I really like this version. The production makes the song, which though good could tend towards a boring arrangement, more interesting. I like the small touches that to my ears sound a bit psychedelic - though there are few keyboards and it's mostly guitar based. Great vocals from Micky, as is typical on this album.

4.2/5

5. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Diary 2.5/5

HitAndRun likes this.
  6. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Not a fan of the original but M.D. really makes this one come alive. The arrangement, the Beatles-by-way-of-Jeff Lynne production, and Mick's vocals all work really well here.

4/5

7. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

"Diary" -- 4/5

I do not know the Bread version, but this is an excellent track on this album. Really well done all around -- the production is tasteful, the playing is great, and Micky's vocal is just so strong. Agreed that this is -- easily -- the best song we've heard so far on this album.

HitAndRun, The MEZ and pablo fanques like this.
  8. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"Diary"- 3.25/5

HitAndRun likes this.
  9. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Diary - 4/5
    Stand out track in my book. Very strong vocal - just great.

HitAndRun and The MEZ like this.
  10. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

HitAndRun likes this.
  11. Turk Thrust

The ratings for Diary:

1-0
    2-1
    3-2
    4-6
    5-1

HitAndRun likes this.
  12. Turk Thrust

Today's song is Many Years:

In the link that I posted above David Harris talks about writing this song (originally during a Toto session) about the first date with his wife. He also mentions it not fitting in with the concept of Micky singing songs from his own personal history, but him agreeing to sing it anyway as a favour.

While not a classic piece of songwriting, I still think this is a decent song and Micky sounds fine as always.

Some interesting musicians also feature on the album including Vicki Peterson of The Bangles.

3.5/5.

13. Turk Thrust

And the bonus tracks for this album Unlucky Stars and Magic To Do don't appear to be online at the moment. If anyone has access to those, it would be appreciated.

HitAndRun likes this.
  14. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Many Years - A really nice tune, it has a Paul McCartney/Beatles vibe, love the jangling guitars which adds a bit of 1967 Monkees to it as well. A pretty cool song. 4/5.

Added Note: The song sort of reminds me of tracks from Ringo Starr’s excellent Time Takes Time album, this one in particular with the jangling guitars. Another album worth checking out.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  15. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

"Many Years" -- 3.5/5

Really strong power pop tune here. As nice as some of the covers are on this album, hearing something like this makes me wish he had done a full album of original compositions and/or songs like this which weren't already known hits.

16. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

A nice tune, a really good arrangement, and oddly kind of a subdued, anonymous lead vocal. All in all, though, just slightly sterile - it feels like it was created in a power pop lab.

This kind of seems almost like a template for what was perfected a few years later on Good Times. 3/5.

17. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

Solid album track 4/5

HitAndRun and pablo fanques like this.
  18. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Many Years - 3.5/5
    Nicely sung by Dolenz. Quite enjoyable and relaxing. It might work as a tune to fall asleep to and I mean that as a compliment.

HitAndRun, pablo fanques and JJR like this.
  19. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

I really like this tune. Opening reminiscent of an REM tune or two, refrain (I guess that what part it is but an expert can correct that) sounds like the Shorty Blackwell parts. Solid 3.5

HitAndRun likes this.
  20. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Many Years

I think this is a good song, and it's been given a good arrangement. However, I don't think the vocal melody is quite enough of a standout. However, the arrangement and Micky's performance make the most of it. I think.

3.3/5

21. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"Many Years"- 3.75/5

HitAndRun likes this.
  22. Turk Thrust

The ratings for Many Years:

1-0
    2-0
    3-6
    4-3
    5-0

HitAndRun and The MEZ like this.
  23. Turk Thrust

Today's song is Sometime in the Morning:

The world clearly didn't need another version of Micky singing this song, and yet I think this might be an improvement on either of the King for a Day variants.

The purity of Micky's voice is placed front and centre, and the backing track is gorgeous.

4/5.

24. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

"Sometime In The Morning" -- 4/5

Seeing this song in the tracklisting literally made me laugh out loud when the album was first announced. This had to be a joke, right?

Luckily, its inclusion is more than justified, as it leaves the two versions he'd done the year before in the dust. It's great! Very tasteful take on this song, and Micky sings it so well. One of many highlights on Remember.

25. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Sometime In the Morning - 4/5
    Well done, another one that almost sounds like a lullaby in this arrangement.