Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Thank you very much @Turk Thrust for your excellent management of this thread and your tireless work.

I presume that we all reconvene if another album is released.

2. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Thanx for the long ride @Turk Thrust . I appreciate your time and efforts.

It's hard to believe that this thread started in March '19, so it's older than 2.5 years here in Oct 21. I enjoyed participating and reading other fans' comments.

***Edited, @intv7 pointed out my error!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  3. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Of the 4, Davy continued to act the most, either on stage or occasional TV appearances. While for the others, there were fewer TV appearances as actors. Micky and Mike were on the directing and production side of things for quite a while. And lastly Peter mostly stayed in music, with a rare occasional TV appearance, same with Mike and Micky.

They all were typecast after the show ended - then getting acting gigs was often difficult. Davy was by far the most popular member and I think that alone helped him get more acting parts over time.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    jeremylr, pablo fanques and HitAndRun like this.
  4. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Thank for starting it Turk, it’s been a wild ride. I know not everyone has them, but it would be nice to discuss the Justus and Heart & Soul Home Videos too. We might even look into the Rhino Monkees documentary and the Daydream Believers bio movie. Just suggestions

Again, Thanx for the Ride.

5. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

@Turk Thrust, thanks so much for all the work that went into doing this. It's been a blast reading everyone's thoughts.

6. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

2.5 years, even!

7. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

hahaha, I am bad at math. Not sure why I shorted it, but it has been indeed a long ride.

HitAndRun likes this.
  8. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

2020-2021 has been a blur... :laugh:

HitAndRun and RobRoyF like this.
  9. David Austin

David Austin Eclectically Coastal

Thanks for a great thread. I haven't really participated much since we came to the end of the albums bearing the name 'The Monkees', but I've been keeping an eye on others' contributions.

One thing I've discovered, which is a little bit sad, is that I'm not the big Monkees fan I thought I was. Yes, I'm still a fan, but this thread has helped me put things into perspective: There's so much they've done that I either don't really like or that just disappoints me.

I've also discovered that I don't always follow the majority opinion. For example, while I recognise Michael Nesmith as a great talent, most of his work is not to my taste. And while I have nothing personal against Davy Jones (I met him once, briefly, and he seemed likable), I don't think he contributed anything at all to The Monkees that works for me. So, that leaves Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork. Peter Tork was a good songwriter and a good instrumentalist - he should have been much better utilised in The Monkees. Micky Dolenz was (and remains) a great vocalist (just so long as he doesn't get too excited in a high register) and he always had an energetic on-screen presence.

Anyway, I'm not going to end on a negative note. 'Alternate Title' and 'Pleasant Valley Sunday' are great singles. Headquarters is a great album. Some episodes of the series are amusing. Head is a worthwhile experience of a movie. And while I wish the concert I attended on their 1989 UK tour (just the three of 'em) could have been forgettable (sorry), I went to see them again (all four) on their 1997 UK tour, and that was a real once-in-a-lifetime event - fantastic! And then there's Good Times.

jeremylr, HitAndRun, RobRoyF and 2 others like this.
  10. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Yes it looks like we've made it to the end!

Turk! Thank you so much for getting this started and your day-in, day-out efforts in keeping this thing running. Two and a half years! This started a couple of weeks after my last show and a few days before my next one - not a bad way to fill my Monkee downtime. It's been incredibly fun and an invaluable learning experience. Had this thread not existed, I'd have never bothered listening to "Can She Do It Like She Dances?" and my life would be poorer for it.

And it's been so much fun hanging with the regulars in here every day - Guy, Intv, Rob Roy, Sally, Fred, Hit And Run, JJR, Ennui, D-Rock, Pablo, M.M. - I loved reading all your opinions and thoughts and thanks for putting up with my daily blathering. Hopefully, I'll see you all again if we get another Super Deluxe.

Time to pack it up - goodbye, goodbye, goodbye!

[​IMG]

11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

They also developed reputations during the Monkees time (and beyond) as being difficult. Combined with the fact that they weren't exactly Shakespearean actors, it meant acting gigs would be limited.

jeremylr, HitAndRun and RobRoyF like this.
  12. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Goodbye, Goodbye, Goodbye. :wave:

13. TEDA

TEDA Forum Resident

Thanks @Turk Thrust for keeping this thread going and for being so thorough!

14. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

Thanks to all! It’s been a fun ride.

it’s helped me find some nuggets in the solo catalog I did not appreciate before.

I’m still amazed how many times Davy hit the record button. Wow.

15. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes. Let's hope that Micky still has another album left in him (and that the offcuts from Micky Sings Nesmith are released).

Guy Smiley, RobRoyF, jeremylr and 6 others like this.
  16. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Major Kudos to @Turk Thrust and all the contributors to this amazing thread. I’ve learned a lot which I didn’t think was possible 2 1/2 years ago. Beyond stoked to be seeing Mike & Micky again this Sunday at The Town Hall in NYC. Anyone else here attending? I’d love to say Hello! Hello! Hello!

Cheers!

17. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Will you eventually do a final tally of the rankings of their group/band songs, solo outings, and the TV show?

HitAndRun likes this.
  18. Turk Thrust

Sorry, but won't have time for that. I've barely even had time to watch the episodes recently.

RobRoyF, Grand_Ennui, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  19. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Fair enough :)

It's been a good run though...

20. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

This thread lasted longer than the TV series did. Quite an accomplishment!

21. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

As well as going back over past albums, I'm enjoying listening to this right now.

22. Obviously hadn't checked this thread in a while—didn't know that October 18 was the last day. @Turk Thrust, thank you so much for your tireless, consistent work over the last 2 and a half years (!) to keep this discussion going and on topic. I didn't comment much once we got to the solo stuff, but I've had a lot of fun in this thread, and learned a TON. Thank you also to everyone who participated!

DaveJ, Turk Thrust, HitAndRun and 3 others like this.
  23. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

I think we can still post our thoughts concerning recordings and albums, especially for any of the newbies that came along in recent times.

24. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

I want to thank @Turk Thrust for running this thread, a place where I could reacquaint myself with and expand my knowledge of Nez's music and other work (and the other Monkees) before Nez's passing.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
    Guy Smiley, DaveJ, jeremylr and 5 others like this.
  25. Turk Thrust

Yes, it's a very sad day but at least Mike achieved so much over the past several years of his life.

At one stage it seemed like his music career might be pretty much over, so great that he would tour in so many incarnations and that several of these concerts could be captured for posterity.