Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think somehow we missed this song when doing this thread. It's fitting today at any rate:

Guy Smiley, DaveJ, RobRoyF and 7 others like this.
  2. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

Thought this crowd would appreciate this video I saw on fb:

But I love writing wrongs!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  3. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Agree. Writing Wrongs didn't belong in there. It's an awesome tune.

Guy Smiley, RobRoyF and DaveJ like this.
  4. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

RobRoyF, DaveJ and BobT like this.
  5. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Good one, Sally. This is hilarious. I wish I was good at editing videos, I could make something similar.

Anyway, whoever put this together was quite clever. They did get most of the bottom of the barrel tunes and Yes, I would have left out Writing Wrongs.

6. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

This is so good. Yeah. I agree. I love Writing Wrongs (and a few others) but this is so funny.

Guy Smiley likes this.
  7. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

I agree and like those two performances. But the video quality is terrible compared to the rest of the Blu-ray set.

8. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

This is my favorite negative review. Sorry to dig up old posts, but I might want to frame this one.

9. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Thanks for the reminder- I'm not sure I really expressed myself clearly enough on this review:laugh:

RobRoyF and seeknom like this.
  10. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I think that may be because the '33 1/3 RPM' special was shot on video, where the TV series itself was filmed.

11. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

But the Glenn Campbell show used video too and it looks much better than 33 1/3.

[​IMG]

12. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

A very late correction to add. I thought Kicking Stones was a Boyce/Hart penned song, as it does sound like something they would have written. I looked it up online and wiki says this song was written by Lynn Castle and Wayne Erwin.

I miss replying to this thread nearly every day a while back. It was a lot of fun Thanks, Turk. :)

13. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

We can resurrect this thread when the SDE of Headquarters is released and do a song by song rate and review of the new set!!

14. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Great idea, I will partake. :)

Guy Smiley and D-rock like this.
  15. Good idea, @D-rock! I miss this thread too, RobRoyF, and was surprised to see an alert that something had been added to it. IIRC, "Kicking Stones" was the only song Castle and/or Erwin ever contributed to the Monkees. And I know it's a weird song, and lots of Monkees fans don't like it, but I do.

16. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Love Is Understanding

I couldn't tell you which episode it is, but a 1967 episode of What's My Line? features Lynn Castle as a contestant. She was a noted Hollywood hairdresser who wrote songs & sang. She was signed to Lee Hazlewood's LHI label. On the show, John Daly mentions her writing a song that the Monkees recorded. They never mention the title or whether it had even been released. It only took 20 years!

jeremylr likes this.
  17. FredV

FredV Senior Member

The song was ‘Kicking Stones’, i.e. ‘Teeny Tiny Gnome’.

18. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

:righton:

19. Turk Thrust

An interesting idea. If people would like to discuss it, we could do. In what way would people like to discuss it? A day each for all 101 songs? :)

20. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

As Peter says to Hank when asking if the name of Micky's song is There's A Way "Why Not"?:D

Guy Smiley and D-rock like this.
  21. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

:laugh: As much as I miss talking a Monkees song a day, there's not very much that's actually new to the set in terms of "new songs" that we haven't already covered. And the ones that are new are instrumental backing tracks that feature no Monkee involvement. Not to mention that the Jan-Feb '67 Kirshner material was largely awful! :shh:

22. Good2BAnywhere

Good2BAnywhere Forum Resident

Perhaps we could discuss new 7a releases - Micky’s EP & Peter’s EP, for example?

Crimson Witch, jeremylr and D-rock like this.
  23. Turk Thrust

Yes, that was my concern, too. Of course, we could discuss those songs again and maybe link to new mixes and alternate versions that were included. It depends whether people are interested.

24. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Definitely interested in the HQ SDE reviews, even in some of those backing tracks.

Guy Smiley likes this.
  25. Turk Thrust

I will post a few songs that we missed over the next few days just to see how much interest there is...

Today's song is Soul-Writer's Birthday:

I know that Mike copyrighted this song in 1967, but I'd be interested to learn whether anyone else has any more info.

A fun listen and the most interesting inclusion on the Dolenz Sings Nesmith EP. I think it was the correct choice to omit it from the album, though, as it's not quite up to the high standard of what did make the cut. I don't hate the effects that are applied to Micky's voice, but it would be nice if one day we hear a version that sounds a little more natural.

3/5.

jeremylr, RobRoyF, Guy Smiley and 5 others like this.