Rate: Guns N' Roses 1987 Album "APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION" POLL:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Feb 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

Appetite for Destruction
    [​IMG]

Alternative cover
    [​IMG]
    Original cover, which was replaced shortly after release.

[​IMG]

Raunchy rock n' roll this album rocked in 1987--1989 and today 2021. Over 30,000,000 sold many felt the power of this album.

Gonna spin this original 1987 lp sometime this weekend. Love this album great times indeed 1987-1988.

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

6/6.

Not a band I love overall - very spotty output otherwise - but a top-notch album...

KeninDC, Stanton56, J_D__ and 7 others like this.
  3. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis

I voted awesome. All day. Every day. One of the best albums ever made, anywhere, ever. Not a weak track on it. No there is not. Don't anyone dare suggest that You're Crazy is a weak track.

4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

5/6

Excellent album. Not that I'm playing it especially often but it's a really good album!

J_D__ and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I'm not sure what happened, but I turned off GNR.
    Back in the late eighties this would have got a 6.... today I feel like it's a 4.... but it's probably really a 5 :)

6. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

It’s a good album! So I guess I vote 3 out 6!

7. I'd rate it a 20 out of 10 if I could.

8. graveyardboots

graveyardboots Resident Patient

My favorite Guns n' Roses album for sure. "You're Crazy" certainly isn't a weak track at all although I personally prefer the Lies EP version.

9. Django

Django Forum Resident

Its a classic album, but like all classics in hindsight they are a few weaker tracks. Anything goes, think about you & you're crazy.

10. Awesome!

11. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

It was a kick ass awakening. 6/6

12. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

Lies version is great.

The Fox Late Night Show is my favourite and definitive version complete with Axl forgetting some of the lyrics.

13. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

One of my favorite albums of all time. So good! So great!

14. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

The coda of Rocket Queen is as impressive as anything on this 6/6 album.

15. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

One of the best albums of the 80s, bar none. A grittier, sleazier, junkier version of anything the Stones or Aerosmith did in their heyday. (Before anyone gets his knickers in a twist, note that I did not say "better.") For better or worse, it created a subgenre of the Southern California hard rock sound established by Van Halen.

And then it all went steadily south. If I had to pinpoint a moment the decline, it was probably when Axl sang Free Fallin with Tom Petty at the MTV Music Awards.

GnR was better than the sum of its parts (as their solo efforts, Velvet Revolver, and Axl Rose's Guns N Roses Inc. LLC prove) and the debut was the height of its power. Lies felt tossed off (in a good way) to capitalize on the band's popularity. Illusion was bloated and self-indulgent (there's one excellent album in there). Chinese Democracy is, well, Chinese Democracy.

Thank you for attending my TED Talk.

16. paradox55

paradox55 Forum Resident

Top shelf; an all time classic!

17. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

Only part of your post I disagree with is Illusion. They are both awesome albums. My personal fave being Vol I. I also really like CD. Free Falling was ok...I enjoyed that performance. Wouldn't say it represented any sort of decline (the decline was happening long before then). If you believe Axl the decline began after they got back from the hell tour. lol

BoogieFish likes this.
  18. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

I was a good little boy before I bought this album.

See - the PMRC were right - dirty music CAN corrupt children's fragile little minds!

19. Bhobb

Bhobb Crate Digger

3. I heard this for the first time when I was 54. Except for "Child","Jungle", and "Brownstone" I thought it was pretty pedestrian hard rock. Now, if I'd heard it when I was 14, I'd have been all over it like a cheap suit.

Soundslave and NudieSuitNezHead like this.
  20. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

We can agree to disagree on Illusion. I still say there's one killer album among the 30 (!) tracks between I and II

It's a fair point to say the decline started before Axl's duet with Tom Petty, but to my mind that performance was the moment when the band well and truly jumped the shark. The Hell Tour was Fonzie's approach to the ramp. The MTV Music Awards was his apex over the tank. It was just such a "WTF?" moment, in that it would have been difficult to combine two singers more diametrically opposed in style and demeanor. (That's not to say that can't work. See also: Run DMC and Aerosmith.) I'd also argue that, as I remember it (been many years since I've heard it) Rose's caterwauling didn't suit the song.

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt likes this.
  21. CHIP72

CHIP72 Forum Resident

You don't think Axl Rose's cameo on Don Henley's 1989 album The End of the Innocence (specifically the song "I Will Not Go Quietly"), which was released about three months before the MTV Awards show, wasn't already an indicator?

22. “Excellent”. Probably the best straight-up hard rock album of the ‘80s. I bought the album shortly after it came out, and despite their getting lumped in with the glam metal bands of the day GnR definitely stood out as a rougher take on hard rock than what other bands were doing. I was actually surprised when the album exploded as big as it did a year later; I figured GnR were destined to be a mid-level act.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  23. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

As a rock/metal album it is excellent but for me it's a 3/6.
    On many songs, Axel's voice (screeching in the higher registers) is like fingernails on the blackboard for me.

24. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

That's what I like about him. :)

Purple Jim likes this.
  25. CHIP72

CHIP72 Forum Resident

I've never been a big Guns 'N Roses fan, so 3/6 for me. I remember when I first heard them, when the local radio station put "Welcome to the Jungle" into its regular rotation in late 1987, a few months before they broke big. To me, the song clearly had a harder edge to it than most of the pop metal that was ridiculously pervasive on commercial rock radio radio in the 1987-1990 time frame, so it stood out a bit in a good way, but I thought it was merely a good song, not a great one. The other hits off the album, excluding the minor hit "Mr. Brownstone", are generally no better and to me a little worse than "Welcome to the Jungle".

My biggest issue with Guns 'N Roses is I really don't like the sound of Slash's guitar. He has some great riffs, but his guitar tone sometimes ruins it for me. The best example of this is probably "Sweet Child O' Mine", which has an excellent main riff, but to me the notes are too high and sound too showy. The underlying rhythm guitar playing the same riff in some parts of the song sounds a lot better. If another guitarist (heck, many other guitarists) could play Slash's riffs, I think I'd like Guns 'N Roses better.

I personally like the Use Your Illusions albums better, as uneven and at times ridiculous as they are, though I haven't played even those albums for many years. ("Civil War" remains a great song though, one that even Slash's guitar sound couldn't ruin.) To me, the best album, or at least the album with the most standout tracks, that came from the Guns 'N Roses camp was Izzy Stradlin's self-titled debut (Izzy Stradlin and the Ju Ju Hounds). It sounded like the son of Keith Richards' Talk Is Cheap album, though Stradlin's album isn't quite as good as the Rolling Stones guitarist's 1988 release. It is still strong though.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.