Rate Star Wars IX: Rise of Skywalker

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by btomarra, Apr 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile Thread Starter

One vote per forum member. You can change your vote. Made it fun.

2. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I'm still trying to scrape the Bantha Poodoo off my shoes.

It's painful to see the Star Wars of George Lucas sink to this.
    I can't believe he puts his logo at the start, it's so unworthy of the films he made.

Motorcity supernaut and YardByrd like this.
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Lucas doesn't own the logo: it's all Disney, all the time.

I don't think the movie is all that bad, but it is all over the map and the structure is weird and cluttered. But it's got some very good moments. I'm in the "very good/not great" category.

I'll be curious to see how well the Blu-ray sells, now that it's out.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  4. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

I voted "Very Good"

5. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I was high on it when it first came out but now I went with "good, could be better" after watching it again. Still not a travesty like The Last Jedi.

btomarra likes this.
  6. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile Thread Starter

Me, too. Good. It was all over the place. Felt like one chase after another.

7. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I only saw it the one time at the theater. I thought they did a good job mopping up the mess they were left with. I liked the Emperor stuff. I still wish Luke played a bigger role in this trilogy other than "Mr. grumpy pants/force ghost". Will have to pick up the bluray and watch it again and see how I feel. I was gung ho after Force Awakens but Last Jedi doused that fire but fast.

SJP likes this.
  8. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

Well, if you are going to say something “nice” about it.

And epic? Epic? EPIC! :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

9. I think it's better than the previous one,but bettering The Last Jedi wasn't very hard.

YardByrd and Purple like this.
  10. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

There were things I enjoyed, but I thought it was a friggin mess.

Purple, 4_everyman and Jrr like this.
  11. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

It was OK. Better than I expected.

12. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I rate TROS a solid 7 out of 10. When I came out of the theater back in December I would have rated it 8.5 or 9,but further viewings since have tempered that initial enthusiastic reaction.I still enjoyed it and I thought it was a decent end to the story that started in TFA.
    The film could have been a bit longer and the pacing in the first 45 minutes should have been slowed a slight bit. TLJ could have done with a shorter cut and this one could have had the run time that one had. Also,the Palpatine returning thing should have been been better explained within the film itself. I don't oppose his presence, but it could have and should have been explained a bit more.

Otherwise a fun,if flawed movie going experience . I picked the "very good, nice try"

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    The Hud likes this.
  13. David Campbell

I have a feeling people are going to wait this time around until it's inevitable appearance on Disney +. I don't think it'll touch the Force Awakens and the last Jedi in terms of sales. I myself debated buying TROS on Blu-ray and I've always bought the release of a new Star wars on disc the day it came out. Yes,even the prequels when they made it to DVD and SOLO. I ultimately ended up buying it to simply complete my Star Wars Blu-ray collection.

14. David Campbell

I'm not someone who gets off on bashing the prequels like some like to,but the argument could be made that George himself did more to "sink" Star Wars' level than anyone. Yes that includes Kathleen Kennedy,JJ Abrams and Rian Johnson.

I mean,if you actually think Attack of the Clones and the Phantom Menace are superiorly made movies compared to the sequels,I don't know what to say. The Sequels have their issues,but they are simply better made movies than the last three George made before he sold it to Disney.

Old Rusty, SJP and GullGutt like this.
  15. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

"Not very good."

I can't see that I'll ever put it on and watch it again. There's only SW, TESB, ROTJ, R1 & Solo I am ever likely to re-watch. It's like Doctor Who or any thing else that's been going on for years. Sometimes you have to get off the bus.

16. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I thought it was pretty good, I saw it 3 times in the cinema and enjoyed it all 3 times. That said, I think that the end was as compelling as it could have been. All the emotional conflict is more or less done with and there isn't enough tension to really keep you on your toes.

17. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I was referring to the original Star Wars films, not the prequels. I didn't
    say anything about Attack of the Clones and the Phantom Menace. But
    since you mention the prequels, I will add that as bad as they are, they're
    better than the Disney films. And thus far, although he blew it on the
    prequels, George Lucas remains a better director than Rian Johnson and
    J.J. Abrams combined. Intellectually he towers over them.

No, I'm not someone who gets off on bashing the prequels and sequels,
    but Disney's Star War films are risible. I realize that the fans will always
    make them out to be better than they are. There is no limit to the values
    fans project onto them. But in this instance, there is absolutely nothing
    to justify their praise. The Disney films stink. The Rise of Skywalker is the
    worst yet. It's utter garbage. I say this because it is deserved, not because
    I get off bashing prequels and sequels. For example, I think Tarzan and
    the Lost Safari (1958), Tarzan's Greatest Adventure (1959) and Tarzan the
    Magnificent (1960) were the best films in that long-running franchise since
    1934's Tarzan and His Mate, and I'm not a Tarzan fan.

18. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

After getting Disney+, I’ve watched all of the films in release order. I may be in a minority, perhaps because I was never that invested in the original things and had only previously seen one of the prequels but I couldn’t see much wrong with TLJ. For the most part, I enjoyed TROS although the last 10 minutes seemed to go on for an hour and it seemed as though Abrams thought he was filming one of those awful slo mo beach barbecue scenes they used to fill out episodes of Lost when they’d run out of plot. Having Charlie from Driveshaft there didn’t help.

all in all, I’d say it sits with III, IV, V, VII and VIII as a decent addition to the cannon.

David Campbell likes this.
  19. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Had this discussion last night and came to the conclusion that Last Jed is the best sequel trilogy film and Rise of Skywalker is, uh, the hardest to defend. :D

20. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Last Jedi was so horrifically awful that Rise of Skywalker initially felt better than it was (it felt... medicore!) at first, but reality set in on a second viewing It's not very good. I have a bad feeling about it.

polchik, jamesc, raye_penber and 2 others like this.
  21. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

Very Good.

Bantha Poodoo was and is Force Awakens to me. The Last Jedi - good, could be better.

22. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Upon review at home I'm going with a generous "good". Better than "Last Jedi" but the sewage spill was too big of a mess to mop up in a single film. It felt rushed and the return of the Emperor reveal during the crawl seemed lazy. Too many cooks in the kitchen. The new trilogy is a disjointed mess of a thing, which is a shame as "The Force Awakens" seemed to promise a much better trilogy of films than what we received. I liked the Emperor sequences, that's about it. You can't go home again.

jamesc, Purple and Halloween_Jack like this.
  23. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

I understand the hate for the Last Jedi, but the hate is so f'n over the top. I neither love or hate. I thought was too long, but had some really good moments.

The problem with the new trilogy was that it wasn't mapped out and the shift in directions etc are problematic. It doesn't mean that the most recent two aren't enjoyable on a certain level.

David Campbell and BeatleJWOL like this.
  24. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

The Good:
    Rey & Ben's character arcs were nice - this was some of the better acting in the trilogy
    They kept the plot thread count relatively low - we like seeing these characters together, keep them together
    Set design and staging were really great
    They did the best they could with Leia

The Bad:
    Bringing back the emperor - I understand they had to as they had no secondary antagonist, but c'mon, you can't un-kill a character that major with a couple of lines of explanation
    The corresponding explanation of Snoke was dumb as well
    Lando wasn't used very well
    Stop introducing new "force powers" that people could have been using all along
    Poe's love interest, forgot her name, was unnecessary, yet another character to talk about for two scenes then forget

The Ugly:
    Plot-problems-a-rama - the emperor manages to build the largest fleet in history with nobody noticing? The entire fleet has one point of failure? An ancient dagger shows where a navigation beacon will show up? Lando manages to assemble a huge fleet from the entire galaxy within hours?

I think the entire trilogy shows the problems with not having a plot ahead of time. 1/3 of Rise of Skywalker should have been in Last Jedi. Chunks of Last Jedi should have been in Rise of Skywalker. It's all a mess because nobody knew what was supposed to happen.

Frozensoda likes this.
  25. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

My problem with bringing the Emperor back and making him Rey's Grandfather, is then if you come at these films NOW, watching them in order, it is no longer the Skywalker saga, but the Palpatine saga.

Granted he's barely mention, if at all, in Star Wars, but in the prequels Palpatine looms LARGE and by making him some hidden grand puppet master of the last three films is just so disappointing. It's not even a cop out that neatly wraps up any/all unanswered questions, it is just LAME.

And those of you who are all like, "Ooooooh! It was SO GOOD to see Palps back!" can fuque right off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.