Rate Star Wars IX: Rise of Skywalker

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by btomarra, Apr 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Oh, dear.

What. A. Mess.

2. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

There should another choice: "The Last Jedi single-handedly killed the franchise so I didn't see it."

YardByrd and Stratoblaster like this.
  3. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

My Star Wars movie collecting ended at The Last Jedi (didn't buy it)

I was underwhelmed with The Rise of Skywalker as well. I enjoyed it more when I saw it at the theatre, but was aware the story wasn't hanging together,
    which is even more apparent on repeat viewings.

Not very good for me.

YardByrd and Purple like this.
  4. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I enjoyed it (ROS) a bit more than you, but my initial enthusiasm was tempered. Coming out of the first viewing I had it in the top three. Now i'd rank it safely in the middle,below Revenge of the Sith and TFA and above the Last Jedi. With the exception of Revenge of the Sith, all the Sequels still far outclass the first two Prequels. At least in my opinion.

It's just that with the advent of Disney + and the fact it'll be there soon enough more people will just wait until it comes there for rewatch. Blu-ray and DVD sales have fallen overall and continue to fall.

I work in retail and I've seen the trend. When TFA came out it sold like crazy. TLJ and Rogue One were also fairly strong. ROS is selling ok but not remarkable and with talking with people most will likely just catch it on Disney plus , if at all. However that's really the case for most movies. Digital streaming is now the increasingly the preferred method in home viewing. Physical media will probably always exist in some form but it'll be more niche as time wears on.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  5. FredHubbard

FredHubbard Forum Resident

missed opportunity. of all the Star Wars movies, THIS is the one that needs a directors / extended cut to iron out the glaringly bad editing and rushed pacing. I would love to see a 2:45/ 3 hour version. cant understand why this doesn't seem to be happening.

despite the above I enjoyed the ride in the cinema; saw it twice. intrigued to see my opinion of it when I get the dvd for home viewing.

Halloween_Jack likes this.
  6. Star wars 77

Star wars 77 New Member

It's okay. As you can tell by my username I'm a huge Star Wars Fan. I'm not a fan of Disney Star Wars. Legends forever!

YardByrd likes this.
  7. lastjedi

lastjedi Forum Resident

all the disney star wars movies have been crap.including the mandalorian series.i wish disney would make an animated star wars movie then we could have luke,leia and han all together again for a new star wars movie.maybe they could do a movie of shadows of the empire.

8. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

Yep. This tying up of the whole Skywalker saga really needed to be a two parter. As it stands it’s a non-sensical adhd mess of a film, albeit somewhat good looking in places. That cast deserved far better than they got.

9. RobCos02330

RobCos02330 Forum Resident

The best Star Wars since Empire Strikes back is happening right now on Disney+. The last four episodes-essentially a film- of the animated Clone Wars is better than anything in the last couple of decades. Easily. Same with the rest of the Clones series as well as the animated Rebels. Put Dave Filoni in charge of the franchise and you’ll have some good films and stories.

Motorcity supernaut and YardByrd like this.
  10. FredHubbard

No! Rogue One was ace

11. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I voted "Not Very Good..." I saw The Rise Of Skywalker at the theater and at the end I was left with little feeling about the movie. No excitement, little further interest, just the feeling of "That's the end...I'm done...I'll just read a manga instead..."

12. FredHubbard

Watching and enjoying it on dvd atm. Current annoyance though:: the Knights of Ren ship leaving a trail of dirty exhaust fumes behind it .

13. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Where's the option for "HOT GARBAGE!"?

It's a bad movie that I kind of like.

Purple likes this.
  14. Don P.

Don P. Forum Resident

I rented it last week from Amazon Prime and watched it three times and went in with exceeding low expectations. I wasn’t as bad as I expected, however it still wasn’t very good. It was definitely made for the fan base.

15. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster A skeptical believer....

The best I can say for this movie was that it was the best one of the three sequels...but that isn't saying much.

Frozensoda likes this.
  16. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I remember thinking after seeing it in the theater that it was good, not great. I've rewatched it a few times this month and I like it a lot more than I did at first. It still bothers me that the main plot twist comes out of nowhere, and feels a little to much like Harry Potter to me. But if you get past that it is a very good ending to the new trilogy.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  17. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident

Good, could be better. Felt like a wild Bantha chase.

:cool:

18. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident

Yeah, this is exactly what I've been saying all along, except I now called it the Sith saga.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    MekkaGodzilla likes this.
  19. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I'd rate it 1 out of 10. I'm surprised a screenplay that bad makes it into production with expensive special effects. But I've said that about a lot of movies over the years.

20. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

It's a mess. It's like they had a list of cool ideas which they absolutely had to stick in, even if it doesn't make sense and comes out of nowhere:
    • Palpatine's cool. Let's bring him back!
    • Remember how Palpatine uses Force Lightning which gets turned against him after 30 seconds? That worked so well in Jedi and ROTS!
    • What if every space ship in the galaxy suddenly turns op to help the Resistance?
    • Let's stick Lando somewhere in the script!
    • Let's kill Chewie!
    • Let's NOT kill Chewie!
    • Let's erase C3PO's memory, killing all the memories he made in the past 8 movies!
    • Let's restore C3PO's memory!
    • Let's make Rey the strongest Jedi ever,in the history of Star Wars, even if she barely had any training/guidance/experience!
    Truth be told, some of these plots could have worked if there was some foreshadowing in the past movies. Palpatine coming back to live could have been very interesting as a plot thread throughout the 3 movies with TFA hinting at 'a secret sithproject' with Kylo/Snoke gathering intel and TLJ, revealing the project is to resurrect Palpatine with the Resistance learning about this and coming this close to preventing the resurrection. This creates anticipation:
    • Is Palpatine as strong as before or weaker/stronger?
    • What is the connection between him and Snoke?
    • What will the Palpatine/Kylo relation be? Similar to Vader or not?
    Instead we got an opening crawl in the vein of:
    "Hey guys! Palpatine's back!"

No build up, no explanation. Throwing away any potential investment the audience might have had.

21. Warzawa

Warzawa The Starman

Palpatine was one of the if not THE most powerful Sith Lord ever according to the Lore... In the Expanded Universe he came back in a short mini series called Dark Empire, plus Plageuis and his quest for Immortality and midi chlorian manipulation, so for me it was no surprise.

Having Rey being a Palpatine was a disappointment I read originally she was going to have a connection to Kenobi but it would have been better if she had no connection to a established house.

It was a good movie could have been better could have been worse, Novelization goes a bit more into a few things mainly Palpatine's return.

David Campbell likes this.
  22. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

It's a Star Wars film. None of it is that good.

23. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

After Empire, the series took a nose dive and never recovered.

YardByrd and agentalbert like this.
  24. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

It's an interesting discussion to be sure, but when looking at the original trilogy, I like all 3 movies. That being said, I do think the 1st part of ROTJ with the rescue from Jabba's palace is very good. It has so much atmosphere and tension.
    I don't dislike the Ewoks and while the forest planet is very refreshing, it does mark a tonal shift.

Mechanical Man and FACE OF BOE like this.
  25. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Loved episode 7, was bored senseless by episode 8 and came into 9 with no expectations whatsoever. The "revelation" of Palpatine's resurrection in the opening crawl made me groan, it felt like a cheap cop-out and I dreaded what lay ahead if that was gonna be the creativity level, but for the most part I ended up having fun. Things kept moving for the duration, and though there were stupid problems along the way I took them in stride and had fun. Except for the last 20 or 30 minutes, the final ultramega climactic battle, which felt rushed, like they were having to tie everything up and shoehorn all manner of stuff in before they ran out of film stock or something.

On the strength of those first three quarters of the movie I went to watch it again a couple of weeks later. This time though, without the surprise factor, I could only see how messy it all was. Frankly, this saga deserved better.

So my vote today is "not very good". I consider the sequel trilogy a mess as a whole, despite the fact that I'm happy with episode 7.

As far as Star Wars go, at this point I look at the original trilogy as the classic albums, so to speak. Episode 3 can be the spinoff band, episode 7 the reunion album, and Rogue One the bonus tracks.

FACE OF BOE, polchik and TrekkiELO like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.