Rate The Most Recent Movie You Watched

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Goat, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Control

2. Burnout

Burnout Deadbeat

God’s Angry Man - 1981 - 6/10
    AKA - Glaube und Währung - Dr. Gene Scott, Fernsehprediger

[​IMG]

How angry? Pretty darn mad if those donations start to dwindle.
    Early Werner Herzog documentary profiles Dr. Gene Scott.
    One feels Herzog filmed this for European audiences, trying to explain US televangelists.
    Chances are, Scott gave him access, whereas contemporaries such as Oral Roberts, Jimmy Swaggart, the Bakkers, or Jerry Falwell would not.
    This makes an interesting curio, catching Scott before his larger reach in the 1990’s.
    His show was a constant stop during late night channel surfing.
    An extremely intelligent man, if he was preaching or giving lessons, I would invariably listen for a bit.
    If he was asking for money, I would continue changing channels until I found an old movie.
    Subs = https://subscene.com/subtitles/gods...dr-gene-scott-fernsehprediger/english/2926942

unclefred likes this.
  3. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

i used to watch his show late at night in the mid 80's. It was audacious and humorous. he also, as you said, was bright and interesting, knew the development of doctrine/theology and loved to skewer those he thought were in error. I think his daughter took over after he died.

Burnout likes this.
  4. Burnout

Burnout Deadbeat

The Bukowski Tapes - 1987 - 7/10

[​IMG]

Accurate rating if you are a hardcore Bukowski fan.
    If you are going Buko – who? - however, then drop score to a 5.
    Long series of interviews by director Barbet Schroder done around the time he filmed Barfly, ostensibly of and about the skid row poet of Los Angeles.
    Bukowski rambles at length on varying topics: inferior peers, smog, alcohol versus marijuana, the horses, crazy women, his gradual fame, the meaningless of life, ugly people, shallow people, futility. At times insightful, other times nonsense, drunkard warbling.
    Favorite bit was watching him drive about the old neighborhood in an open convertible, pointing out landmarks, telling stories.
    Most infamous bit was him getting physically violent with girlfriend (later wife), Linda, and cameras turning off.

One of my regrets was never having trekked to Bukowski’s East Los Angeles home while I lived in LA during the late 70’s.
    I certainly went to other writers, and I prowled east Hollywood Boulevard a couple times a month.
    Too busy chasing leg and getting high. Stupid stoner.

unclefred likes this.
  5. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

Patton 10 out of 10

Boom Operator likes this.
  6. DavidWo

DavidWo Active Member

Black Adam 7/10

7. Burnout

Burnout Deadbeat

Enola Holmes 2 - 2022 - 7/10

[​IMG]

No, this is not canon, but a sequel to the 2020 film.
    This outing, Enola launches her own detective agency, landing a client searching for a lost sister.
    The trail leads to the match factory and the music hall.
    Meanwhile, her famous older brother investigates a massive money fraud.
    As before, handsome production values and a fine score.
    The plot is clever, well written and a solid mystery.
    Familiarity with the first film unnecessary, though it will help.

Uncle Miles and Fabrice Outside like this.
  8. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

fear No evil, one of those horror/thriller TV movies that were popular at the time, 1969. Starring Brad Dillman, Lynda Day George and a good turn from Carol O'Connor. I'd never seen it and it was pretty good, although predictable, but the ending was a bit nonsensible. So with that ending I'll go 2.5 stars. Worth a watch if you enjoy those TV movies.

[​IMG]

Burnout likes this.
  9. Rycherocker634

Rycherocker634 Forum Resident

Demolition - Jake Gyllenhall 9/10

10. Fabrice Outside

Fabrice Outside Forum Resident

Still hoping for a Blu ray release :confused:

Lightworker likes this.
  11. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Wes Anderson's Life Aquatic w/Steve Zizzou. 8.2/10

Yes, should be funnier. Yes, too many too long scenes between Ned and 'Cubby'. Yes, relies too much on Bill Murray. But there is such a particular vision and sensibility expressed here - not just in the production design (which you'd expect), but the wry cynicism exploring how 'heroes' have their own problems - that I grade upwards for its ambitions even though it only works intermittedly.

12. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

The soundtrack choices are amazing, as usual.

13. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

So, I'm not even sure why this was a thing, but I decided to watch Total Recall. That is, the original 1990 version, and then into the 2012 remake. I remember seeing the latter years ago, and hating it. Still, it was on my mind to do it, so there ya go.

Turns out, I was harsh on the remake. I mean, there's no good reason for it existing, but then again it's not actually terrible either. It's greatest error is in being made, and following up on the Director, seems he went straight to TV after this one. It was a box office disaster too. But really, it's a fun enough watch. Not that I'd watch it instead of the original, with all it's clunky charm. And Arnie! But for a modern slice of action/sci-fi it's an okay ride.

Original 8/10
    Remake 6.5/10

RSteven and Burnout like this.
  14. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I posted this in another thread (my bad), but the most recent film I have watched is Fifty Dead Men Walking. An excellent gritty thriller about an IRA member (Jim Sturgess) who is feeding info to the Brits. On a 5.0 scale, I rate it 4.7998, give or take a thousandth.

Burnout and Fabrice Outside like this.
  15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

A Country Christmas...a 5 out of 10.

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

my wife and I have this on our watch list...thanks for the positiveness. ; )

Burnout likes this.
  17. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Black Hawk Down - one of the best War movies ever made. I've read 2 books about the engagement and the movie does an amazing job of telling it like it was (although they spared the audience from some of the more horrific events). If I recall correctly, the movie only won an award for sound, this flick will test any system! Out of curiosity I checked out Mogadishu and was surprised to find out we still have troops there, and very recently there was a car bomb attack resulting in numerous civilian deaths. This situation is still happening!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
    unclefred and Burnout like this.
  18. MysteryMen 7/10.
    High Plains drifter 10/10
    Rollerball 7/10

RSteven likes this.
  19. Would love a 4K of this film.

20. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

I watched Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoise last night.
    I'm not sure what to rate it as I think it deserves a re-watch a few months from now!
    It was amusing at times and interesting for sure but for the most part I didn't really get it.
    I had to read up afterwards to figure out what it was about and what the filmmaker was getting at.

Panama Hotel and Burnout like this.
  21. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Come now, Mystery Men is a 10!!!

22. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Mr. Furious wouldn't like the 7/10 score!

Vaughan likes this.
  23. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Yes, Africa is still trying to shake off colonialism in some respects, and is still being exploited by 1st world Countries (ref. Meloni's recent slapdown of Marcon) and is still trying to reconcile tribal history and long term animosities resulting from artificial if not arbitrary superimposed national boundaries. You can get an excellent first hand sense of this in the post WWI environment (to see a bit about how far back this goes...) in Elspeth Huxley's "On the Edge of the Rift" (a better book imo than 'Flame Trees of Thika', her vibrantly descriptive prose and droll elegance, skewering the British as she revels in both African and English Tradition is a joy to read. A great movie remains to be made....)

A lot going on there that never gets in the U.S. or Canadian News, knowing some of the context makes Black Hawk Down an even better watch

Chazro and Burnout like this.
  24. DVEric

DVEric Satirical Intellectual

The last movie I watched is rated R.

brownie61 likes this.
  25. Burnout

Burnout Deadbeat

House Of Terrors - 1965 - 6/10
    AKA - Kaidan Semushi Otoko / 怪談せむし男

[​IMG]

After Yoshi’s husband dies – insane – in her father-in-law’s medical clinic, Yoshi learns he had a rural mansion.
    Complete with taciturn hunchbacked servant, and a creepy aura.
    The grieving widow arrives, followed by her father-in-law who puts the moves on her, a doctor, a niece, and still more visitors. Why so many? Because this is a one way house. Hungry.
    Stunningly shot in a high Gothic style. Deep shadows, odd angles, amidst a swirling, chilling sound mix.
    Acting borders on melodrama, which mars this, and the directing is ofttimes over the top.

unclefred likes this.