Rate The Most Recent Movie You Watched

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Goat, Jan 25, 2021.

1. [
    next up on my list on 4K along with Starman from the Columbia boxed set.

2. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

Arthur (1981) d. Steve Gordon

[​IMG]

This is another film that seems to be a bit forgotten today. Dudley Moore was never better than he is here: he's consistently hilarious as the drunken Arthur, but he also adds a sensitivity and folornless to the character. He has some lovely and quite insightful moments, and I especially love the line: "Not everyone who drinks is a poet. Some of us drink because we're not poets."

The supporting cast is outstanding: John Gielgud fully deserved his Oscar and Liza Minnelli is perfectly cast (and very funny) as the romantic interest. It loses steam towards the end (the final act is a bit silly) and it's only serviceably directed and photographed, but it's still a very entertaining film. I hadn't watched it for about ten years and I laughed out loud many times, and also found it unexpectedly moving.

8/10

3. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

From Prime. I watched the first half Django before becoming bored and turning it off -- 6/10 for the first half.

Django Unchained (2012)
    [​IMG]

I would have given it a 5 rating, until I watched. . .

Jurassic World Domination (2022). This is a 5/10 (which may be too generous).
    .[​IMG]

4. primitivesludge

primitivesludge Forum Resident

I know this is 'the last film' but the last two were an interesting double bill of 'is she going mad or is it something else?' films - Gaslight (1944, dir: George Cukor) and Mothers' Instinct (2024, dir: Benoit Delhomme) - both of which are period films for about 60-70 years before the film was made.

As is par for the course, the older film was darker, more sophisticated, and more tightly constructed. Ingrid Bergman plays the woman married to a sneaky cad, unable to stop her husband's meddling. The newer film had good turns from Jessica Chastain and Anne Hathaway and certainly tries to be 'Hitchcock-y', but a slightly silly ending mars an otherwise enjoyable ride.

I'd go 8 for Gaslight and 6 for MI.

Boom Operator and pwhytey like this.
  5. You are too kind to The Killer. I’d give it a 3 only because of Michael Fassbinder. This is what Fincher chose to do instead of Mind Hunter?

theflattire likes this.
  6. Expect for the sentimental ending I’d give it an 8.5 out of 10.

7. I failed to rate each movie I see ( I use 1-5)

Red Rock West 4, transfer 4
    Phase IV 3.5, transfer 4
    Manchurian 4, transfer 4.5
    Mountains 4.5, transfer 3.5
    Aliens 4.5, the 4K transfer 3.5
    The Abyss 4, transfer 4.5

8. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

I wasn't able to watch a lot of it, but did get some of 'The Greatest Story Ever Told' -1965 this afternoon. What made an impression on me were the vistas and scenery in it. The land and backdrops to the biblical scenes were more impressive and less claustrophobic(?) than other 'gospel' films. In fact, it's almost as if the land in which the story took place was that of Robert E Howard's mythical Conan world rather than the ancient near east. This may be worth getting on BR just for that.

Boom Operator and Morpheus like this.
  9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The Ten Commandments 10/10

10. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I really enjoyed The Killer, thought it was great. I don't understand modern Hollywood's obsession with under-lighting scenes though, to where you can't tell what the hell is even happening.

11. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

The remake is an embarrassment, but the original is good.

Boom Operator and pwhytey like this.
  12. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"Cry Macho": 8/10

MichaelH and Michael like this.
  13. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

I avoided the 2011 remake like the plague. I think Russell Brand is a complete tosser and there was also the "why?" question, which hangs over every remake.

MichaelH and wayneklein like this.
  14. Sometimes a remake or something that adapts the original novel/play/story will being something new to screen as part of the adaption. Doesn’t happen all the time but, admitted, most remakes are worthless.

MichaelH and pwhytey like this.
  15. Surprisingly, I enjoyed Django more than you did but I’m also a fan of the Django movies which it cleverly plays homage to and I loved Christoph Waltz one of our best character actors.

pig whisperer likes this.
  16. Thelonius Monk

Thelonius Monk Forum Resident

HOnestly, no, I actually hated it.
    I thought he went from brilliant to pretty much played out in one film and never came back.

17. Thelonius Monk

Why it's fallen out of favour? Maybe if you believe, as i do, that taste has been declining since the 80s, then the explanation is obvious.
    But, OTOH, I haven't seen it recently, but I remember at the time, it seem to delve into new territory around divorce. LIke talking about divorce was a big deal back then, now it's pretty much normalized, not "subject worthy."

wayneklein and pwhytey like this.
  18. Thelonius Monk

[​IMG]

Hmmm, no rating but:
    I think this is "weaker" Hitchcock.
    To be fair, I watched it over 3 nights, two installments on a tablet, in hospital for serious surgery, the 3rd night at home on the PVR.
    How wacky is that?

I adore The Birds--it's one of my alltime favourite films and certainly my favourite Hitch--so this is the same writer and has some of the same "melodrama" as the Avian horror show. I found it so compelling at the beginning, but by about half way through all the accumulating plot twists made it seem lurid and melodramatic. I found Danvers mesmerizing at the beginning, but almost comically overplayed as the film went on--she was reminding me of GLoria Swanson in Sunset Boulevard, with all those open-your--eyes--as-wide-as you-can--and-then-even-more looks.
    Maybe the last scene could have been re-scored to the Talking Heads Burning Down the House?

I often see this high up on "rank Hitchcock" lists, and I don't think it belongs there.
    I thought of starting a rank your Hitch thread here, there must be one already?

I feel The Birds is constantly under-ranked in both "critic's" and everyday internet Joe's list, and I want that changed!

19. Just watched the 4K it does hold up pretty well. Hoffman’s character comes across as very self centered (something that struck me at the time as well). He does engender sympathy by the end when he realizes it isn’t all about him.

pwhytey likes this.
  20. I’m assuming it was Rebecca you’re referring to as the picture didn’t come up. I agree. I feel it is an overrated Hitchcock and as much a Selznick picture as a Hitchcock picture. As a melodrama it is interesting but it lacks much of the stronger personal elements of later Hitchcock films or the thriller approach he used both earlier and later in his career. I do find it ironic that it became a Best Picture winner(back then called Outstanding Production) but Hitch didn’t win Best Director. It is one of Hitch’s gothic psychological thrillers (Under Capricorn another one).

Thelonius Monk and pwhytey like this.
  21. Michael

my wife and I loved this.

MichaelH and Grand_Ennui like this.
  22. Michael

without the Dino's they would be all junk...they are the true stars of the show...period.

pig whisperer likes this.
  23. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

The Last Picture Show (1971) 9/10

24. jon10g

jon10g Forum Resident

On The Waterfront 9/10

25. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

The Menu. Excellent dark comedy/societal horror. I will give it a 90.

RSteven and brownie61 like this.