Rate The Most Recent Movie You Watched

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Goat, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

lots of fun! 8/10
    [​IMG]

2. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Everything Everywhere All at Once - 9/10
    Massive Talent - 7/10
    The Menu - 5/10
    White Noise - 6/10
    Glass Onion - 8/10
    The Fabelmans - 9/10

Morpheus, Gasman1003 and Michael like this.
  3. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Atomic Blonde - there might be a decent espionage movie in there but for stupid fight scenes and hard to make out dialog.

Interesting subject though, chaos at the collapse of the Wall.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  4. Michael

I like the Michael Keaton "White Noise" movie! I'm sure you are not referring to that one. : )

5. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Everything Everywhere All at Once - 10/10. Endlessly inventive.
    The Banshees of Inisherin - 9/10. Would be 10/10 for Colin's performance and the donkey, but the others don't quite measure up.
    Bullet Train 5/10. Amusing diversion, but tries a bit too hard.
    The Menu - 9/10. A perfect skewering of food culture and excessive wealth.
    White Noise - 4/10. Not my kind of comedy. Others thought otherwise.
    Glass Onion - 7/10. Still not quite sure what I thought of this. Rating may end up lower eventually.
    The Pale Blue Eye - 6/10. Relies too much on a twist ending, still worth it for Harry Melling.
    Violent Night 8/10. Knows what kind of movie it is, and delivers.
    Avatar WoW - 6/10. 9 for the visuals, 3 for the plot.

JohnK

6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Tar. 5/10 for being insufferably precious and erudite.

7. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

"Erudite" as a pejorative?
    Hmmm ...

Alert and Ghostworld like this.
  8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I feel I can say openly that having spent five years among a circle of ethnomusicologists, architects and artists from the university when I worked in Princeton, NJ.

It gets cloying.

9. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

The Pale Blue Eye. 7/10. Acting and characters are better than the story.

wolfram, RSteven and unclefred like this.
  10. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

The Dark Tower 3/10
    Last Night In Soho 7/10

11. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

"Till" at the cinema yesterday - 8/10

12. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

Lawrence of Arabia 6/10
    Peter O Tooles performance seems laughable today . The film easily an hour too long .

Bridge over river Kwai 10/10
    Alec Guiness falling on the detonator is corny.
    Still a great movie
    Bridge explosion reminds Me of the wild bunch Bridge scene

13. Michael

Road To Perdition 9/10 ...a revisit.

MHLumber and Gasman1003 like this.
  14. '05Train

'05Train Crashin' & Flyin' & Livin' & Dyin'

Fletch for the first time in at least a decade, maybe two.

8/10

Even though I've seen this movie at least 40-50 times during college, it's still funny. It's a damn good story (book's better, but still), and Chase is perfect in the role. Really enjoyed seeing it again.

Micah and RSteven like this.
  15. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie - 5.5/10

After finishing the amazing series I was excited to see there was a movie, but it was kind of disappointing. I don't want to spoil anything either. Suffice it to say, too many flashbacks that made the overall plot structure kind of confusing, and it didn't add much to BB. Just kind of meh.

unclefred likes this.
  16. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

A Man Called Ove (2016)

This is the original Swedish film upon which A Man Called Otto with Tom Hanks is based. There are some differences, and there are some things that are exactly the same. But the films are equally good, because this is just a very, very good story.

7/10

DLD and Gasman1003 like this.
  17. I remember watching that in a second run theater as a kid. It was a double feature with “The Giant Gilla Monster”.

Michael likes this.
  18. Yeah…it was. It was also too long by 25 minutes to make its point. Still, I enjoyed watch Cate play an insufferable pretentious twit.

19. Michael

both are a lot of fun...I love the look.

wayneklein likes this.
  20. Alf.

Alf. Forum Resident

Live Now Pay Later (1962) 10/10

[​IMG]

I'm on an Ian Hendry kick at present. This is his first film as lead role; and maybe his best ever. It's a dark-humoured satire on the nascent - soon to be rampant - consumerism which followed post WW2 austerity in Britain. Hendry plays a roguish salesman, who's speciality is selling - and bedding - women stuff on the 'never-never'. It's a melange of comedy, farce, pathos, and tragedy. Virtually all the male characters are 'on the make'; most of the female ones get life's short end of the stick.

There's a great cast. John Gregson as shop manger spiv; June Richie as Hendry's on-off girlfriend; and Liz Fraser as doomed wife of corrupt Geoffrey Keen, are particularly good. It's Ian Hendry though who effortlessly steals the show. He's a natural comic, but also excellent when poignancy is called for. Ian gets the opportunity to strut his clown skills (he was actually mentored by Nicolai Poliakoff, aka Coco The Clown, in the mid-50s), plus there's a fabulous set-piece where he enacts a Chaplin homage with Richie. A wonderfully entertaining film; plenty of laughs, yet some very sobering moments as well.

21. CharleyRay

CharleyRay Forum Resident

Evel Knievel 1971, starring George Hamilton (gag). Did Evel Knievel really act like that....smart one minute....stupid the next?

22. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

No Reason (2010)

Pretentious drivel German extreme horror movie. Probably the most violent that I've ever seen, but all that mutilation and blood and guts isn't disturbing if you don't care about anyone on screen. Great practical gore effects though. But that's basically all this is, a gore effects demo reel.

Note that I turned it off before it was over, but I saw enough to know that it sucks. 2/10

23. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

new Avatar. big meh. glad i spent only senior citizen discount for it

24. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

If you're curious about how smart Knievel was, you might want to check out Viva Knievel, which starred La Evel himself. I'm sure that will answer your questions. :laugh:

With Marjoe Gortner as the bad guy, Leslie Nielsen as another bad guy (funnier here than in his comedies) and Gene Kelly in his penultimate performance as a mechanic (and his final performance? Xanadu. Didn't go out with a bang, alas).

[​IMG]

CharleyRay likes this.
  25. Michael