Rate The Most Recent Movie You Watched

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Goat, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Armjim

Armjim Music is indeed a gift from Heaven

Society of the Snow: 8/10. This movie about the Andes plane crash is of course based on the true events that occurred beginning October 1972. Well filmed and acted, but a little long as there is a lot of sameness. Some of the events I did not know about or had long forgotten; harrowing and emotional.

2. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Anything For Jackson * * * * 1/2

Nightmarish! I don't usually rewatch movies right away but this one may well be an exception.

Last edited: May 18, 2024
    unclefred likes this.
  3. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

The Coffee Table. Dear God...

4. Complier

Complier Senior Member

I watched "Caddyshack" this morning for the first time in years.

So many classic one-liners.

unclefred and RSteven like this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Enemy Mine 8/10
    [​IMG]

6. Jayson Wall

Jayson Wall Forum Resident

The Out of Towners (1970) – 16mm LPP print / Projected at 1.37:1 – The story is very basic, Jack Lemmon and Sandy Dennis play the Kellerman’s from Ohio, who are heading to NYC, so Jack can take an interview for a VP job with his plastics company---as everything goes wrong the moment they step on the plane. It's just a hilarious comedy from Neil Simon that has been a favorite of mine since I saw it on KNXT-TV as a kid. In fact,
    I showed it to my son this evening, who is about the same age as I was (10) when I first watched this, and he also loved it. A classic that is somewhat overlooked today.

***1/2 out of ****

[​IMG]

7. hfarrior3

hfarrior3 Worst pressing ever ...

Ice Station Zebra 5/10

8. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes": Being generous giving it a 7/10... More worthy of a 6.75/10.

RSteven and MichaelH like this.
  9. Scopitone

Scopitone She had ribbons, ribbons, ribbons

Raka deserves an 8 on his own.

MichaelH likes this.
  10. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Fair enough.

Scopitone and MichaelH like this.
  11. theflattire

theflattire Forum Resident

Zero Dark Thirty
    10/10

unclefred and Spitfire like this.
  12. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Over the last week or so…..
    Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes (cinema), 8/10 - had a free ticket and enjoyed it more than I thought, as it’s not normally my kind of movie.
    La Chimera (cinema), 8/10 - quirky Italian drama about a bunch of robbers who steal from ancient tombs in Lazio. Josh O’Connor from The Crown stars as a British archaeologist with treasure divining powers, speaking (kudos to him) fluent Italian. Quite funny, and interesting. Good crowd covering all adult age groups and various nationalities at the independent I saw it in.
    Spider-Man across the Spider Verse (streaming on Sky) - 8/10, not too much of a plot, but the graphics/animation/colourisation are just superb. I can see why folk were tipping it for a 2024 Best Animation Oscar (but am happy the Japanese one did win).
    The Idea of You (streaming on Amazon), 7.5/10. Anne Hathaway’s heavily plugged movie about her chance romance with a boy band singer. Of course it’s corny. Sensitive too. A bit of a guilty pleasure, I’ll admit.

RSteven, Scopitone and brownie61 like this.
  13. MomcheMusic

MomcheMusic Musician/Producer/Music Fan and Collector

I watched Arthur (1981) recently. I hadn't see it in a very long time, and I barely remember seeing it as a child -- but I kept seeing the ad go by while looking through the films to stream. It's worht it's price in gold just for the performance by John Gielgud.

[​IMG]

pwhytey, MichaelH, unclefred and 2 others like this.
  14. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I Saw the TV Glow (2024)

Slow-moving, evocative movie about how TV can help you come to terms with your sexuality. Very David Lynch-like, with a dash of David Cronenberg sprinkled in. Described as sci-fi horror, but far more the former than the latter. It was OK overall, but the movie's open-ended finale left me wanting to know what the main character would do next.

Scopitone and brownie61 like this.
  15. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

One with Nick Nolte.

Peaceful Warrior (2006) 7/10
    [​IMG]

Dan, a college student and a world-champion gymnast, is disturbed and wants to add some meaning to his life. A chance encounter leads him to discover an enlightened way ahead.

Scopitone likes this.
  16. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I simply thought the concept is an oddball. Next up should be Ghostbusters Goes Hawaiian. or maybe bring in Chevy Chase and make it Ghostbusters Vacation.

17. unclefred

I enjoyed that as well. The quality of the actors was surprising for a lower budget Canadian film. They do make a lot of good stuff up there.

Chemguy and RickH like this.
  18. unclefred

I haven't seen that yet. I just read Annie Jacobson's book, Surprise, Kill, Vanish and apparently CIA operatives had identified and were set up across the street from Bin Ladens residence years earlier and President Clinton would not sign off on the assassination. Does the movie cover that?

19. Armjim

Armjim Music is indeed a gift from Heaven

Upgrade: 7.25/10. Watched this on Netflix last night. Sort of like the Six Million Dollar Man if he was created 70 years later. Surprising how much technology that seems so recent in our lives was in this film from 6 years ago. Not a great movie, but was entertaining. Wrapped it up in a hurry, but it was a decent watch, and at well under two hours, perfectly timed.

formu_la, brownie61 and Scopitone like this.
  20. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

The World (film) - Wikipedia
    Chinese movie that has very "weird", and unusual pacing, it would be easy to cut 30 minutes out of it because of shots where not much is happening, dead silence, but it gives the movie a sad feeling to me.
    People trying to connect and failing, and yet there are small acts of kindness scattered all through the film.

21. theflattire

theflattire Forum Resident

No, but the movie sort of emphasizes that they did not have real confirmation he was in there and they were watching the place for a while.
    Based on what I read hard to accept the movie for what really happened. Not the raid itself, but the behind the scenes stuff was probably best guess.
    Probably there's a lot of intelligence stuff that won't come out for a long time.

unclefred likes this.
  22. unclefred

Annie says that the hit was carried out by Seals team6 (I think) but that it was a CIA op, using Seals. Apparently you need the CIA or intelligence to run the op to keep it under title 15 for legal reasons. Military ops are under Title 10, under which it's illegal to run a kill op in a country we are not at war with. Interesting fact-we (as of the writing of the book) have operators at various times in 134 countries.

23. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Madame Web
    6/10

This is the only Marvel property (so far) that I knew nothing about.
    Terrible box office aside, it's a solid comic book flick. I think like a lot of female led superhero projects, this was review bombed by incels more than people judging the movie itself. I'm knocking a few points off as I think the editing could have been a little tighter and cleaner. It felt like they were trying to add excitement instead of letting the story be the story. My other issue is what is the villains name? Who are the other girls? While we know their proper names, their secret identity names are never stated.
    It's one thing if your watching a Spider-Man movie, most people know the basics. But Madame Web? Maybe spoon feed us a bit.

Scopitone likes this.
  24. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

The Nun II
    8/10

25. Fahzz

Fahzz Forum Resident

Challengers 8.5- would have been 9 if I could hear all of the dialogue. Is a bad sound mix in movies a thing these days?