Rate The Most Recent Movie You Watched

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Goat, Jan 25, 2021.

1. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Elizabeth 6/10
    Elizabeth: The Golden Age 5/10

2. Fabrice Outside

Fabrice Outside Forum Resident

a few posters already answered your question, so I don't have much to add, especially since there's probably a dozen books about this, etc...

anyway, the situation can appear very B&W (!) now but it wasn't at the time because of the general context .
    Hollywood's mission was to entertain (hasn't changed much if you ask me) and to sell their products, a huge market being Europe, that included Germany.
    As of the mid-30s to 1941, directors were suggested (or censored) not to stir up trouble or controversy.
    Also the general public was not excited at being informed WW2 is just around the corner

etc, etc, ...

so yes, a very courageous move on Chaplin's part, not only he declared war on nazi Germany before the US, he also took a huge gamble with his public image/career

The Great Dictator: The film that dared to laugh at Hitler

3. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Resistance (2020) Who'da thunk that odd mime dude was a war hero. 7/10

Alien Siege (2018) Now I don't mind a cheap dumb sci-fi action flick if it's entertaining, but this was far too ridiculous to take itself so seriously and wasn't entertaining in the slightest. I gave up after half an hour. 0/10

Darkest Hour (2017) Churchill saves the day. Enjoyable, if a bit hokey in places. 7/10

Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
    Icethorn and unclefred like this.
  4. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

Catch me if you can 10 out of 10
    One of Spielberg s best movies.

Tom and Leo should make another movie together.

Icethorn and MichaelH like this.
  5. a customer

You are wasting your time explaining something so obvious to someone who is curious..

Fabrice Outside likes this.
  6. georgebz1

georgebz1 Remember 1939. Stop Putin Now.

The Captain. The way it began, I thought the main character was going to be a good guy. I couldn't have been more mistaken. This movie goes from dark to darker to darkest. To learn at the ending that it's a true story made it even more depressing.
    3/10.

Icethorn likes this.
  7. What do you mean?

8. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

It's hard to tire of Churchill, one of the century's greatest men.

9. a customer

You are wasting your time explaining something so obvious to someone who is curious..

MrCJF likes this.
  10. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

I haven't seen the Brian Cox one yet, so I look forward to that.

unclefred likes this.
  11. Nodrog96

Nodrog96 Forum Resident

Rain Man - 35 years late to the party. 5/10

Looking For Mr. Goodbar - rewatched this again on YT in a ropey VHS copy complete with Dutch subtitles. Diane wonderful as always. Still a shocking ending. 7/10

Icethorn, EVOLVIST and a customer like this.
  12. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Shazam Fury of the Gods [2023]

Deary me. After the movie had finished I checked it's rating, and it was 12A. So fair enough, it's childish, the action is lame, and you never feel any threat. The story is just the same old same old, and Shazam just isn't a compelling super-hero. There's a really lame appearance of Wonder Woman half way through the movie in a restaurant where I guess they couldn't get the actual actress to appear, so it's always shot from her back or side, with the face out of view - it reminded me of the lame censored blocking they used on Eyes Wide Shut.

In the end, this was a silly film for children, which I guess doesn't make it a complete disaster. But for this adult, it's just not interesting.

2/10

unclefred likes this.
  13. nutsfortubes

nutsfortubes They tried to kill us, and we won!

The Red Shoes. 9/10

14. Yeah, it fundamentally makes no sense to me, even though you wrote it exactly the same way twice. I mean, I don't have to understand what you mean, but if someone at work has a question, and I know the answer, even if it may seem obvious, I'm not going to be a dick and not help them. Or, I'm a father, so my child comes to me and wants to discuss the holocaust - we're both Jewish - is it then a waste of time to have this talk?

That's what I'm getting at. I'm not picking on you nor being snarky; I'm merely trying to understand.

Hollywood and Hitler isn't such a cut and dried topic. It was stated upthread that Hollywood Jews were afraid of broaching the topic, but it was not because they feared for their own skins. Sure, Hitler banned Warner Bros. in 1939, after they fired the first salvo with Confessions of a Nazi Spy. It hit WB in the pocketbook, but Jack Warner (a Jew) greenlit the film, and it was common knowledge that Edward G. Robinson wanted the part precisely because he was Jewish, too. And remember, this film was based off of the real-life Rumrich spy case, which made national news the year before.

Taking a step back, one could say that Chaplin and UA were courageous, but they also had Chaplin's name, where domestically they'd make big jack off of the picture. Whether the comedy offended or uplifted, asses were guaranteed to be in seats. What's more, the film was just damn good - better than Robinson's film - so The Great Dictator is exalted to the lofty place where it belongs. It's simply that it wasn't any more courageous than it's predecessors; it was just done better, and more pointed, albeit the movies came out almost concurrently.

Except for Hitler's Reign of Terror (1934) which is the earliest and probably the most pointed American anti-Nazi film of all. It was an independent film, so box office stats are hard to come by, but word is that it was popular enough at the time for people to take notice.

Icethorn, unclefred and nutsfortubes like this.
  15. a customer

Can you just go away

16. Of course not. Let communication and diplomacy always reign. :)

Morpheus and unclefred like this.
  17. All The President's Men (1976) 7/10

[​IMG]

I love that '70's paranoia. It was all over movies of the era. The film has aged extremely well when it comes to exposing government skullduggery, yet not so well as to the breadth and depth of said maleficence. Watching it again, I kept thinking, if only these dudes knew what we know today. Now we have the internet. They had paper and pencils, yet they still rooted out the rats. In fact, I spent most of the film pining for the days when we navigated with paper maps, and we went to libraries, and kids carried textbooks home from school.

What a great cast! Jason Robards is my favorite in this film.

18. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

My Man Godfrey - 10/10

You put William Powell and Carole Lombard together and the rest doesn't matter.

19. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

John Wick 4 - 9/10. 1 point off because of a plot hole at the end.

John Wick shoots Marquis in the head, and everything is forgiven? What happened to rules?

Icethorn and RSteven like this.
  20. Man, the trailer looks dope! Don't waste my time, huh? Hmmm...

21. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Nighcrawler (2014) - really good drama with Jake Gyllenhaal. I think this may be his best performance. He's every bit as chilling as Deniro in Taxi Driver.
    8/10

22. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

"Follow the money"

georgebz1 and EVOLVIST like this.
  23. The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) 9.5/10

[​IMG]

Lightning in a bottle. Richard O'Brian would never reach the stratosphere again like he did here.

There's only a couple of duff numbers, otherwise the songs are all on-point...and beyond. A little sleazy, kind of trashy, often cheesy, yet always entertaining. Yeah, when I was a teen we'd go to the midnight showing, usually zooted. There were always a few feels to cop on stage; you know, being young, not getting into trouble, clean fun in the late '80s. The film is extremely well-crafted. Hello Dolly (1969) would be a perfect 10/10 for a musical, but this one is pretty close, for entirely different reasons.

Scopitone likes this.
  24. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

The Rundown- 8/10

The Rock and Christopher Walken are great. Rosario Dawson is annoying. Seann William Scott is mostly annoying but has a few decent lines. Well-balanced mix of comedy and action, with plenty of cartoonish violence and preposterous but entertaining fight scenes. Very cool to see The Rock fight Uncle Rico from Napoleon Dynamite.

Scopitone likes this.
  25. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I'll Cry Tomorrow (1955) - Blu-ray

7/10

Susan Heyward is excellent in this story about Lillian Roth the vaudeville performer. She was nominated for a Best Actress Oscar for this role.

[​IMG]