1. We are experiencing extraordinarily high traffic at the moment due to the outage this morning, plus we will be running a few processes in the background to rebuild server caches. The forum will be responding a bit slower than normal until this has passed. Thank you!

Rating POLL: Abbey Road

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hombre, Nov 21, 2020 at 8:48 AM.

1. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

And also side two. :D

Fischman likes this.
  2. Bungo

Bungo Forum Resident

Tied with the White Album for my favorite Beatles album. Of course it's a 5/5.

Hombre likes this.
  3. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Forum Resident

One of the many great things about the Beatles' version of "Maxwell" is that Paul seems to have had in mind a tuba playing the bass part--and he captured that vibe perfectly, including an unusual bass timbre that while it doesn't sound exactly like a tuba, it abstractly captures the gist of one. I think at some point he was thinking of the tune as if a brass & percussion ensemble (with a bass drum player, a snare drum player, etc.) were doing it, and I can also easily imagine choral parts that aren't there, but the arrangement conveys all of that that while being far sparser than one might expect. The sparseness reminds me a lot of the "Come Together" arrangement.

angelo73 and Big Blue like this.
  4. Tom Vinson

Tom Vinson Well-Known Member

4/5

A work of great art to be sure, but as hard as I try to be free of any bias, the complete ubiquity of the album (radio, college dorm posters) has dampened its charms a bit. That being said, The Beatles' Abbey Road does not need me to defend it, and I'm ecstatic that it exists. It is also, paradoxically, the Beatles album I own the most versions of, so what am I even talking about?

Instant Dharma and Hombre like this.
  5. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

It’s interesting that one of John’s gripes was that they ‘spent more money’ recording MSH, since they basically had unlimited studio access to EMI Studios after Revolver.

For all John, George and Ringo complain about Maxwell, it only took three days from start to finish, and John isn’t even on it.

True, they played it a bunch in January, but they played a lot of stuff that never went anywhere, too. Do you suppose they confuse Maxwell with Obladi Oblada?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020 at 7:16 PM
    Hombre and Hermes like this.
  6. drsmuts

drsmuts Well-Known Member

Yeah it's got a few weak tracks on side 1...but Something, Here Comes..., I Want You and the Medley more than make up for these.

5/5

Hombre likes this.
  7. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I’ll be curious to see where we go tomorrow in this series... or are we rating Let It Be, even though it was not released in the ‘60s?

angelo73 likes this.
  8. hangwire13

hangwire13 Forum Resident

4/5 from me, a casual Beatles fan.

Hombre likes this.
  9. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Um, Excellent

Hombre likes this.
  10. Hombre

Hombre Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, we'll rate Let It Be tomorrow, the last Beatles album of my list.

Actually this series involves albums by '60s groups, but that doesn't exclude some records released in the early '70s by the same artists.

carlwm and Big Blue like this.
  11. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Thanks for clarifying! I just wasn’t sure if ‘60s groups meant only their albums from the ‘60s.

Hombre likes this.
  12. Mackaveli

Mackaveli Well-Known Member

Golden Slumber's/Carry That Weight/You Never Give Me Your Money suite is a mini masterpiece of music

abzach likes this.
  13. Mackaveli

Mackaveli Well-Known Member

Rubber Soul?

14. Hombre

Hombre Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think it was Paul who said it was recorded in three days. But I guess that's documented.

15. Another Steve

Another Steve Forum Resident

Around here, one in a three way tie for first place among the Beatles albums. 5/5

fallbreaks and Hombre like this.
  16. yesteryear

yesteryear Forum Resident

I honestly don't listen to The Beatles nearly as much as I once did.. but when I do, it's Side 2 of Abbey Road.

I still consider that medley to be among the great musical works of the 20th century.

Hombre and Mackaveli like this.
  17. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

5/5
    Side 1 is a 4/5 with three classics (Come Together, Something, and Octopus Garden) mixed with three that are more of a mixed bag, but side two is just magnificent, starting off with my favorite George Harrison song, leading into the long medley that takes a hodgepodge of songs and bits of songs and makes them into musical magic. I still get pumped every time I hear the "Oh yeah, alright, are you gonna be in my dreams tonight.." leading into the drum and guitar solos and the great finish still gives me chills.

Hombre and Lemon Curry like this.
  18. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Something and Here Comes the Sun are great songs. I don't care much for them at this point, but they are undeniably 5/5.
    I dig Bathroom Window, and Octopus' Garden is fun, but the rest of the album strikes me as meh - to meh +. Don't really have much patience for it.
    Overall, I guess 3/5 for Abbey Road.

Hombre likes this.
  19. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Forum Resident

a masterpiece for sure but there are other albums i love more. so im going with 4/5.
    I think the white album is more ambitious and better. white album is a 5/5.

Hombre likes this.
  20. Bhobb

Bhobb Crate Digger

5/5 for me, plus I never get tired of looking at the cover.
    I wonder how Her Majesty voted? I've heard she's a pretty nice girl but somewhat taciturn.

angelo73 and Hombre like this.
  21. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Excellent. Probably my favorite Beatles album, period.....

Hombre likes this.
  22. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

3/5 (good)

Hombre likes this.
  23. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

I listened yesterday for the first time in c. 30 years plus (I’m not really a Beatles fan) via amazon music. (Apologies to the vinyl club).

I found it surprisingly enjoyable.

3.5 plus

The big ‘but’ is that once was enough and I’m not twitching to listen today.

I’ve listened to Gerry Rafferty City to City that I’ve just rebought, 4 times in last 3 days.

Maybe Gerry is just less demanding

Hombre likes this.
  24. Archguy

Archguy Forum Resident

The Beatles: Abbey Road (1969)

Side 1:

Come Together A+
    Something A+
    Maxwell's Silver Hammer A
    Oh! Darling A
    Octopus's Garden B-
    I Want You (She's So Heavy) A+

Side 2:

Here Comes The Sun A
    Because A
    You Never Give Me Your Money A
    The Sun King B
    Mean Mr. Mustard B
    Polythene Pam B
    She Came In Through The Bathroom Window A
    Golden Slumbers A
    Carry That Weight B
    The End
    Her Majesty

My rating: 5/5 (excellent)

---------------------------------

'Maxwell' should probably be an A- but I made it A to spite all the haters. Didn't grade the last two snippets on the album because they're not really songs imho, though I am glad for the last bit since the FF already did the self-important grandiose finale bit on Pepper. Anyway, one of the greatest albums of all time.

25. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

One of my favourite Beatles albums, gotta go with 5/5.