Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Rating Poll: DAYS OF FUTURE PASSED by the Moody Blues?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Kelly, Jan 13, 2021 at 1:57 PM.

1. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade Thread Starter

Next up is the Moody Blues 1967 album DAYS OF FUTURE PASSED. This is kind of the ultimate combination of rock and classical music. It was both critically acclaimed and popular, though it took some time to really take hold in the US.
    The Track Listing:
    Side One
    1."The Day Begins"
    "The Day Begins"
    "Morning Glory"
    2."Dawn: Dawn Is a Feeling"
    3."The Morning: Another Morning"
    4."Lunch Break: Peak Hour"
    Side Two
    1."The Afternoon"
    "Forever Afternoon (Tuesday?)"
    "(Evening) Time to Get Away"
    2."Evening"
    "The Sunset"
    "Twilight Time"
    3."The Night"
    "Nights in White Satin"
    "Late Lament / Resolvement"

2. Brian Kelly

Previous results:
    Beach Boys: BEACH BOYS TODAY (98 votes) 4.11
    Beatles: PAST MASTERS VOLUME 1 (179 votes) 4.33
    Beatles: PAST MASTERS VOLUME 2 (145 votes) 4.72
    Beau Brummels: TRIANGLE (60 votes) 4.27
    Beau Brummels: BRADLEYS BARN (17 votes) 3.23
    Cream: DISRAELI GEARS (264 votes) 4.35
    Kinks: KINKS KONTROVERSY (77 votes) 4.00
    Kinks:KINKS KRONIKLES (145 votes) 4.86
    Kinks: MUSWELL HILLBILLIES (136 votes) 4.08
    Left Banke: WALK AWAY RENEE/PRETTY BALLERINA (50 votes) 4.40

3. Brian Kelly

5/5
    This is one of my favorite albums and routinely turns up in my 10 favorite album lists. I love the mix of rock and classical music. I love how the music shifts for the different parts of the day. The Moody Blues vocals are also among my favorite group vocals.
    A CLASSIC!!!!!

4. Big Pasi

Big Pasi Forum Resident

4/5

Don't care for the classical music bits. And Peak Hour isn't to my liking very much.
    Otherwise 5/5 material. :righton:

5. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident

An excellent album from the Moody Blues. Definitely going in a different direction than anyone else at the time.
    Always loved Days of Future Passed and the same goes for most of their catalogue. Great band.

Mr. LP Collector and Brian Kelly like this.
  6. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Great landmark record by a great band.

7. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

An album that a rock fan teen could use to demo to their disapproving parents, and say, "rock isn't all what you think it is. Listen to this."

8. Dandelion1967

Dandelion1967 My Favourite Parks Are Car Parks

5/5 My favourite Moodys album along with To Our Children's Children's Children.

9. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Tea-sipping bad boy!

5/5 - ambitious, beautiful, and fully realized. A classic.

10. Thievius

Thievius This is my sweet custom title, yo

Exceptional, 5/5.

11. Considered a classic, but content wise there really isn’t much there.

12. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

Can't get through it.

13. David Stilesson

David Stilesson Well-Known Member

I lament that one of the great band names was squandered on an act whose output struggles to fill one-half of a greatest hits disc. I've never jumped tracks as much as I did exploring MB's album discography; certainly an overabundance of emasculated fluff. Shame Dvorak's name is even remotely associated with this travesty of a supposed concept album.

14. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

One of the best things ever recorded... 5/5

15. mwheelerk

mwheelerk I think we were meant to be but we did it wrong

Mike McMann, bhazen and Brian Kelly like this.
  16. The Dark Elf

The Dark Elf Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

5/5 -- One of the most beautiful rock albums ever released. And you can't use the term "beautiful" for many albums. Add in the word "grandeur" as well. This is an album that bridges generations and spans genres; in fact, the longtime (and decidedly conservative) classical musical critic of the Detroit Free Press, the late John Guinn, said simply that 'Days of Future Passed' was an album he 'cherished', and that speaks volumes for the reach of this recording.

Mike McMann, Two Sheds and No Bull like this.
  17. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

ex

Magical!

No Bull likes this.
  18. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

One of my very most favorites, one of the best I’ve ever heard. A true masterwork IMO

19. John54

John54 Senior Member

5. My favourite track is Evening (Time to Get Away), which probably isn't the favourite of too many others ...

20. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Got it.
    Apparently you need to hear more “ manly” music, and I always like to help so I found a band right up your alley! Enjoy! :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021 at 10:41 PM
    The Dark Elf likes this.
  21. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Forum Resident

i don't care much for side1. I never play it.
    Side2 however i adore with a passion. every single song on side 2 is brilliant. starting with the hit tuesday afternoon to the end with knights in white satin. however my fav track is "the sunset" the lyrics..the tabla indian type bass? the echo on pinder's vocals at the end of each phrase. wow.

also i had a 1969 usa deram press mint and the mofi 80s version(slightly noisy) and now i own the speakers corner.

i recommend the speakers corner over both. i never owned a uk original. but the original usa press is a bit muddy and the mfsl is a bit weak sounding lacking bass. it does sounds very clear and crisp though. however the speakers corner sounds like a modern audiophile reissue done by analogue productions type of sound. I much prefer it.

As to original mix and the remix? both are equally good imo and the differences are meh.

No Bull likes this.
  22. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

I love it. My favorite track. It is magical. It is like it sweeps you away to another place and time.

Mr. LP Collector, pinkrudy and John54 like this.
  23. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

5/5. Their best, and it's in a class by itself (largely due to the presence of the London Festival Orchestra). The 6 other concept albums that followed it were more self-contained with all instruments played by the band, and all very good, but they blend together to a great degree. DOFP stands out from the others.

24. scoutbb

scoutbb Forum Resident

So, what did you rate it?

Glenn Christense likes this.
  25. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I agree with @pinkrudy that “ The Sunset” is amazing.
    I love the entire album though .

I’m always proud to mention that I saw the Moody Blues in Oct, 1968 and among other songs, I got to see them perform “Another Morning”, “Peak Hour”, Tuesday Afternoon”, “Nights in White Satin” and possibly “Twilight Time” from the album when they were young and fresh and Mike was there with his Mellotron of course .

The reason I say that they “possibly” played “Twilight Time” is because I wrote down all the titles of songs they played when I got home, but for some reason I wrote down “end of second song, side two” for that one! :D I still have my little song title list written in pencil .:p

Jon H., Mr. LP Collector and pinkrudy like this.