Dismiss Notice
We are rebuilding the search index and other forum caches this morning. Search results may not appear correct until indexing has completed, and the forum may respond a little slower than normal until this has finished.

Rating POLL: Let It Be

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hombre, Nov 22, 2020 at 7:55 AM.

1. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Forum Resident

Oops--yeah, I forgot to mention "Dig It" as another track I'd not rate a 5, but again, like "Maggie Mae" it's more of a "skit" sort of thing.

I actually forgot "Dig It" because in its case, I always forget that it's even listed as a separate track. I always think of it as a weird intro to "Let It Be" (that's usually cut off when "Let It Be" is played on the radio--like the intro to Guess Who's "American Woman" or Rod Stewart's "Maggie May" (with the exception that those aren't jokey, of course)). The fact that the "Hark the Angels Come" comment is immediately before "Let It Be" always cemented this idea for me--I always saw that as akin to a sarcastic introduction to a tune in a live setting, as a way to lighten what's otherwise a relatively serious, (lyrically) "heavy" tune.

2. Hombre

Hombre Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not one of the best Beatles albums, but in my opinion the result was quite good taking into account that it's an unfinished project. Different versions of "Get Back" and "Let It Be" (an undeniable classic) were previously released as singles; I think these album versions have their own merits, not better or worse than the corresponding singles. Other relatively important songs are the acoustic "Two Of Us", the pseudo-psychedelic "Across The Universe" and the orchestrated ballad "The Long And Winding Road". The rawness of the performances does give the album some charm, beyond Spector's hand. The Beatles goodbye, who were already disbanded when this album was released.

BeatlesObsessive likes this.
  3. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Forum Resident

Let It Be comes across to me as something more in the vein of McCartney's first four post-Beatles albums (McCartney, Ram, Wild Life, Red Rose Speedway). There's an informality/playfulness to a lot of it that's similar to those albums, plus it has a similar sound, similar sorts of arrangements, some casual experimentation, etc. I'd be curious to see if there's much correlation between opinions on those four McCartney albums and Let It Be.

Duke Fame and Hermes like this.
  4. Olivier Northern Son

Olivier Northern Son Forum Resident

I think most artists can kill to write songs like Let it Be, Get Back, The long and winding road, Across the Universe...
    5/5

Let it be is a different album, but all Beatles albums are different, indeed...

Hombre, fmfxray373, abzach and 3 others like this.
  5. Hermes

Hermes Past Master

3/5
    They are so tired. The song writing is okay. Macca is okay. Lennon sounds almost retired as a beatle, clearly under the influence of a foreign power. Sad story..

Big Blue, angelo73 and Hombre like this.
  6. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

I’d like to give it a 3.5/5

I feel like 4 stars is a bit too much, and 3 is not enough. 3 1/2 is just right to me.

DTK and Hombre like this.
  7. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

4/5

Side 1:

Two Of Us --- A
    Dig A Pony --- A-
    Across The Universe --- A+
    I Me Mine --- B-
    Dig It--- they should have used the long, unedited version of this, if they had I'd give it a B+
    Let It Be --- A-
    Maggie Mae --- C

Side 2:

I've Got A Feeling --- A+ ... I love the counterpunctural (or whatever the correct term is) vocals section
    One After 909 --- B+
    The Long And Winding Road --- B+ ... thank you Phil "Six-Shooter" Spector -- this sounds much better with the choir
    For You Blue --- B+
    Get Back --- A-

Criminal Offense: not including "Don't Let Me Down" on the album (which was only 35 minutes long, there was plenty of room for it... I'd also replace "Maggie Mae" with "Suzy Parker" [aka "Suzy's Parlour"]).

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020 at 9:37 AM
    DK Pete and Hombre like this.
  8. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

One classic (Let it Be), two contenders (Across the Universe, Long and Winding Road) and a fistful of outtakes that all don't hang together very well. Still some craftsmanship here, but no magic at all. Better than the White Album, but hard to give it more than 2/5.

Hombre likes this.
  9. LandHorses

LandHorses Forum Resident

5/5 - I love this album. Phil Spector did a very good job with it......especially the decision to use some rooftop songs. For as much as Paul said the string arrangement on “The Long & Winding Road” was the final straw, when he plays it in concert, he has Wix emulate those parts.

I prefer Let It Be to either of the proposed Get Back albums and Let It Be Naked.

“Dig A Pony” is among my favorite Beatles songs.

10. adm62

adm62 Forum Resident

Despite about 3 classics, probably their worst effort 3/5.

Hombre likes this.
  11. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

While the music isn't the strongest they ever put out, the original purpose and atmosphere behind the album puts it at a 4/5 for me. I can't quite figure how well the album has aged, musically, the three big hit singles on it notwithstanding. But when I first heard it in 1970 I thought it was a very exciting album. I felt as if I was very briefly taken into the studio with the band and combined with its' overall background, it felt very fresh and different to me. Two favorite songs, Two Of Us and I've Got A Feeling.

12. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Let it Be Naked, while having some nice remixes, is totally void of the atmosphere in the original album...even with the Spector production, it gives a truer feeling than Naked does which in many spots, is actually far less "naked" than the original.

LandHorses and Hombre like this.
  13. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i also rate the white album and MMT 1 and 2. i would throw beatles for sale , and a hard day's night in my top ten.

Terrapin Station likes this.
  14. Marvin

Marvin Forum Resident

3/5 though I might have opted for 3.5/5 had it been a choice.

Some great songs on it but overall, probably my least favorite Beatles album (not counting YS).

Hombre and Purple Jim like this.
  15. Fishoutofwater

Fishoutofwater Forum Resident

I love it. i am not a huge Beatles fan although i have all their albums. Its my fav Beatles album. My gran bought it for me on day of release when i was in Germany. I like Naked to. I just enjoy today as i did on day of release:love:

Hombre, abzach, Sear and 1 other person like this.
  16. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

1. Two Of Us - (3.5/5 decent tune, but hate Paul’s “You and I have memories” bit. Makes me cringe.)

2. Dig A Pony - (2/5 I may be in the minority but I just never liked anything about this song.)

3. Across The Universe - (4.5/5 Love the song, but prefer some of the other versions.)

4. I Me Mine - (3/5 Just ok to me.)

5. Dig It - (4/5 Not really a song, but has a certain quality that I like... I, uh, dig it!)

6. Let It Be - (4/5 I know it’s a classic but too gospel-y sounding for my taste)

7. Maggie Mae - (2/5 No comment)

8. I’ve Got A Feeling - (4.5/5 My favorite track on the album, but I’d have loved it more if they tracked a better produced version for Abbey Road instead.)

9. One After 909 - (3.5/5 Cute, but I prefer the 1963 take. Also, I’m not a huge Billy Preston fan.)

10. The Long And Winding Road - (3.5/5 Pretty song, but production sucks. With or without the strings and choirs. As with I’ve Got A Feeling, I think this would have been better if redone for Abbey Road with GM at the helm.)

11. For You Blue - (4.5/5 Simple yet satisfying George song. I like it.)

12. Get Back - (4/5 Another “classic” that I like overall, but not one of my favorites.)

carlwm and Hombre like this.
  17. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

:wtf: :doh: :faint:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020 at 9:49 AM
    Aftermath and DK Pete like this.
  18. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Paul McCartney was in terrific form here. 3 of the greatest songs of all time. John has a couple of great ones too. Easily 5/5 and still better than any Rolling Stones album. Just wow!

DK Pete and abzach like this.
  19. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

I rated it good .... but always with an asterisk! *the Beatles are my fave band, 10 out of 14 full songs ain't bad, good BUT might have been REALLY good if they'd FINISHED the album.... completed the songwriting, PRACTICED & REHEARSED the songs and performing live, and then recorded a live straightforward album with a good feeling towards the Beatles! No cruise ships or Tunisian ampitheaters necessary. Just put the sitar, the heroin, and the Yoko down and pick up yer guitar for a few weeks!

That being said... the album as is is an easy listen. it goes down as nice as an early Beatles album without the bright kiddie energy. it has moments of energy all it's own especially on the three(or four) rooftop tracks which rank among the best of their work and an album full of them knocking out tracks like that would make the world a better place. otherwise the songs are pretty and loosely fun OR some on their way to completion McCartney tracks. It's 35 minutes that won't offend you. Had Harrison or Lennon succeeded in completing more songs in a Beatle context this would be in the top three of their albums(as ABBEY ROAD as we know it would not exist). Had it never happened and the band had fragmented then McCartney would have had a killer set of songs by year end that he could have recorded in his sleep and launched his solo career in enviable fashion!

20. 3coloursbeige

3coloursbeige Forum Resident

Always really liked it. The album only suffers in comparison to what came before. I've Got a Feeling may be the best 'rock' song they ever did, and the loose/scruffy/ad libbed feel make it a fun, easy listen to my ears...4/5

Hombre and abzach like this.
  21. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Paul backed themselves into a corner with the "no overdubs thing". The filming and album would have been much better if it was just documenting them working on a normal album (from basic tracks through mixing) instead of trying to film and record it live.

The whole Spector thing is blown out of proportion - he really only layered on orchestra to Long and Winding Road and Across the Universe. I think he overdid it on Long and Winding Road (harp and other vocals), but I think he did make it a more commercial song.

However, it would have gone down as one of their finest if the cover was better, they flushed out All Things Must Pass for George, and Martin produced it.

It's also better than people tend to give it credit for.
    Three #1 hits.
    Let It Be
    Long and Winding Road
    Get Back

plus three others of high quality:
    Two of Us
    I've Got a Feeling
    Across the Universe

22. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer Forum Resident

Good, but not great. 3/5

Hombre likes this.
  23. Talmi K

Talmi K Forum Resident

Spector version: 4
    Naked version: 5

Hombre likes this.
  24. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Forum Resident

Anyone notice that John does almost all the studio banter? And plays bottle neck slide guitar! And there is a lot of John and Paul singing together too.

25. Hombre

Hombre Forum Resident Thread Starter

Spector also added orchestra to "I Me Mine" and "Let It Be" (the single version features more subtle orchestration).

ralph7109 likes this.