Dismiss Notice
We are rebuilding the search index and other forum caches this morning. Search results may not appear correct until indexing has completed, and the forum may respond a little slower than normal until this has finished.

Rating POLL: Let It Be

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hombre, Nov 22, 2020 at 7:55 AM.

1. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

4/5
    It could have used "Don't Let Me Down". Even though that isn't a personal favorite, it is a good performance, fits well with the album, and gives John another song.
    NAKED at least got it right including it, but then they cut "Dig It" and "Maggie Mae" which takes away some of the laid back feel to the album.
    A double LP of LET IT BE with all kinds of unreleased stuff (not just the "Fly On The Wall" disc) is badly needed.
    Perhaps when the Peter Jackson movie comes out?

2. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

For whatever it's worth, the LIB album-to me, anyway and much like Sgt. Pepper-was more than just about the individual songs. It was about the way the overall atmosphere of the album came across given all the songs and performances as one "project". I'm not comparing it to the quality of Sgt. Pepper..I'm just saying that the songs on the album-particularly the ones that sound a bit "rougher"-were to portray an album "in the works" rather than an album of slick, finished finely produced music. But even if you're going to look at it in terms of classics, I'd say about half the album is made up of them:
    Two Of Us
    Across The Universe
    LIB
    TLAWR
    Get Back
    ...so then, these are complemented by some very strong live performances of songs not *as* classic but noteworthy nonethelsss, IMO. I think it's an undereated album much like Beatles For Sale once was.

BeatlesObsessive and Hombre like this.
  3. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

4/5 No Beatles album gets lower than 4/5 from me.

4. Hombre

Hombre Forum Resident Thread Starter

The album version of "Get Back" works quite well as a closer, though, with that John's final statement. And sound-wise, I tend to prefer the album version, even though it seems to be the same performance used for the single.

5. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

I don’t hear much of a difference in the Let It Be orchestration.

And talk about subtle, I hear far more organ than light orchestration on I Me Mine.

He really only layered his wall of sound technique on those other two tracks.

Hombre likes this.
  6. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

All of this...

BeatlesObsessive and DK Pete like this.
  7. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

..true be that...and for a number of other bands, that "4/5" would be a "6/5".

8. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

9. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

...well.....not better than Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers but, ok.:cool:

10. Hombre

Yes, "Across The Universe" and "The Long And Winding Road" were more heavy-handed by Spector.

The orchestration of "Let It Be" in the album version certainly sounds more prominent to my ears; but now you make me doubt whether it actually features extra orchestra or not.

DK Pete likes this.
  11. Maggie Mae gets a B and Dig A Pony gets a C?
    I don't dig it !

DK Pete likes this.
  12. Shaker Steve

Shaker Steve Beatles & Elvis Fan

Just about makes 3/5.

Hombre likes this.
  13. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

"....and Abbey Road as we know it would not exist".....once again, everything in "The Beatles' Story" seems to have happened for a reason which more often than not led to the "best ending/result".

Hombre and ralph7109 like this.
  14. Hombre

I'd have given the same rating (3/5) to this album if it had been done by another band. But I don't give 4/5 or 5/5 ratings so easily. Still a rating depends on each one's criteria, since I may enjoy this album as much as you do.

DK Pete likes this.
  15. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

2/5... loathe the title song and LAWR with and without Spector's overdubs... love Two of Us and Pony... like 909 as a song, but not this version... Get Back is ok but Lennon's wimpy lead really ruins it for me... wish Paul had played the lead instead, more assertive and aggressive when given the chance...

Hombre likes this.
  16. angelo73

angelo73

Sad indeed.

17. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

It does. Phil juiced it up.

Hombre likes this.
  18. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

"...the whole Spector thing is blown out of proportion.."...could not agree MORE!! The over-production, if you want to call it that, is on all of TWO songs and Paul used the example of one of them to complain and eventually instigate the release of LIB Naked. All well and good...but other than leaving two songs totally bare (Road and LIB), Naked is even more "fixed" than Spector's album. Two things in particular is that it prematurely "ends" the live songs in an attempt to make them sound more finished and "studio-like" (which in the process kills the original intent of the "project" altogether)and secondly it *combines" different versions/takes on some songs. There's nothing wrong with that in and of itself but it renders the album far from "naked".

ralph7109 and Somerset Scholar like this.
  19. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

If Let It Be wasn’t such a dumpster fire, Abbey Road might not have existed at all. Even John wanted the Beetle legacy to go out on top - which is saying something.

Aftermath, Uncle Meat and DK Pete like this.
  20. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Most people would probably disagree with me but I like Spector's treatment of ATU more than any of the other versions. I'm not nuts about the fact that he slowed it down, but the the orchestration and choral background are gorgeous, IMO. I'll take that anyday over the cosmic reverb that was added at the end of the song on Naked.

3coloursbeige, ralph7109 and Hombre like this.
  21. Fishoutofwater

Fishoutofwater Forum Resident

Lets be honest, this thread is a little bit silly. It is all about personal choice and taste. None of us right and none of us are wrong. I love the album as i previously stated my long gone gran bought it it for me on day of release. I love it. Love, hate, or indifference; means nothing. Love to you all

abzach and Somerset Scholar like this.
  22. Hombre

It's my favorite version of ATU as well. I believe John himself thought Spector did a good job with it.

ARK and DK Pete like this.
  23. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

3/5

I really like the first four tracks, but the rest after that is just OK or sorta good.

Hombre likes this.
  24. Hombre

I understand, but at the end of the day this is just an excuse to talk about these albums.

Anyway, I still think the average ratings more or less give us a relative measure of the appreciation of these albums in this forum, regardless each one's criteria.

25. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

The Beatles: Let It Be (1970)

Side 1:

Two Of Us 5/5
    Dig A Pony 4/5
    Across The Universe 2/5
    I Me Mine 4/5
    Dig It 1/5
    Let It Be 5/5
    Maggie Mae 3/5

Side 2: