Dismiss Notice
We are rebuilding the search index and other forum caches this morning. Search results may not appear correct until indexing has completed, and the forum may respond a little slower than normal until this has finished.

Rating POLL: Let It Be

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hombre, Nov 22, 2020 at 7:55 AM.

1. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident

I can’t say it is an excellent album as I’m not a fan of Dig a Pony, Dig It or Maggie Mae.
    After John’s input to the White Album his heart didn’t seem to be in it. His playing and voice are excellent thankfully.
    His Across the Universe is phenomenal and I like his co-writing on I’ve Got a Feeling.
    Harrison’s contributions are beautiful.
    McCartney’s Two of Us, Let it Be and The Long and Winding Road are all classics to me.
    I give it a 4/5.

Hombre likes this.
  2. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

3/5 - I like this album, it’s good. Paul’s the only one whose best material made the cut, though. I like Across the Universe, but it recorded a full year before these sessions. I like I Me Mine, but it was recorded a year after these sessions. I don’t get why they were necessary when John had Don’t Let Me Down on a b-side and Gimme Some Truth close to the finish line, and George had All Things Must Pass and others close to the finish line. It plays well as an album and has a soulful vibe, but is missing a sense of balance.

Big Blue, Mike McMann and Hombre like this.
  3. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I've said this a few times concerning other aspects of different albums...sometimes I think people express a dislike/hatred for something in preference of another version because it's the "logically" popular thing to do. I think this happens a lot with various qualities concerning the UK albums vs. the Capitol albums (whether it be the sound quality, track sequencing/ommision, etc...). i think Spector's LIB album kind of falls into this category. I can understand people flat out disliking the album for the songs..but I can't see how Spector did such a "horrible" job to the ears of lots of fans (and just to voice my own opinion on Winding Road, without the flow of the orchestration-or at least something *like* it-I think it's one of the slowest moving Beatle songs ever even if it is a very nice melody with one of Paul's best sets of lyrics).

ralph7109 and Hombre like this.
  4. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

And the other version up to that point was almost unlistenable thanks to the backing vocals of a couple of Apple Scruffs.

Hombre and DK Pete like this.
  5. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Agreed, agreed!

6. Fishoutofwater

Fishoutofwater Forum Resident

Agreed. I am a huge fan of diverse thought but at the end of the day its all subjective. I have just sold my house and all my music and gear is stored at a friend's house. Feeling sad and lonely, so my comment may be related to those feelings. No music makes me sad.

7. Armjim

Armjim Music is indeed a gift from Heaven

This was my very first Beatles album, so it has a soft spot in my heart. I rated it 4 out of 5. Those final 2 singles were two of the best of 1970.

DK Pete and Hombre like this.
  8. Kerm

Kerm Forum Resident

Probably not as bad as I always think it is but it doesn't help that the only songs I care about I can hear as singles anyway. No reason to pull this out except I enjoy "Dig a Pony" and it's become my least heard Beatles track I enjoy because I never go for this record.

Hombre likes this.
  9. chervokas

chervokas Forum Resident

Some stand out material that has transcended the rock genre. Some forgettable seemingly tossed off material and some seemingly tossed off material that turned out to be quite memorable. 3/5. Nice additional arrangements and production from Phil Spector, which I think made the album better now that we've had the opportunity to hear the much flatter album would have sounded like.

Hombre likes this.
  10. babyblue

babyblue Pactches Pal!

The second album I ever bought and even back then as a kid I thought Let It Be had a weird vibe to it. Even with Spector tidying up and polishing a few details, it still has the feeling a rehearsal (the bootlegs hold together even less). I like the album, but many of the songs sound almost incomplete, like the Beatles couldn't be bothered. There's some life in some of the rooftop performances, even though rockers like "Dig a Pony" and "I've Got a Feeling" have sort of a lumbering, forced quality to them. There doesn't seem to be much of the Beatles' usual finesse on display here. John's "Across the Universe" is a beautiful mess and George hits you over the head with the relentless waltz of "I Me Mine." You can tell Paul was at least trying since "Two of Us," the title song and "Get Back" are highlights (though the last is missing its nifty drum break and coda). 4/5 for me, but in a way, Let It Be is the most depressing Beatle album.

Aftermath, DK Pete and Hombre like this.
  11. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

I love it.

"One After 909" is a bit sloppy, "Dig It" and "Maggie Mae" are little throwaways, and "For You Blue" is not George's best, but beyond those, the material is as good as anything on The White Album.

Hombre and ralph7109 like this.
  12. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Tea-sipping bad boy!

3/5 - my least favorite Beatles album (and movie), but I still listen (and watch) periodically. Still good, if substandard.

Hombre and Big Blue like this.
  13. Bhobb

Bhobb Crate Digger

4/5. Dig It and Maggie Mae prevent it being 5/5.

Hombre likes this.
  14. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

You prefer the Magical Mystery Tour movie? :eek:

15. Another Steve

Another Steve Forum Resident

The older I got, the better the Beatles got...5/5.

Hombre likes this.
  16. Never really understood what happened there.
    They wanted some female backing vocals so they got a couple of the Scruffs outside and brought them in.
    Fine. But when they heard the completed track didn't they realize something more professional was in order?
    I know it was a song for charity but still....

17. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Resident

3/5. More than half the songs are good, and I find the ending very satisfying, but there are several tracks I don't care for.

A good single album can be constructed using the best parts of Abbey Road and Leet It Be.

Hermes and Hombre like this.
  18. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

If I had a band and this was one of my worst albums, I'd be pretty pleased with that.

19. the_doctor

the_doctor Forum Resident

2/5
    The only Beatles album I regard as mediocre. There are some good songs but the whole thing is a bit of a mess.

The nagra tapes suggest this was about as good as could be salvaged from those sessions. However, I Me Mine hints they could have delivered something far superior if they’d reverted to their traditional studio approach and worked up what they had.

Big Blue and Hombre like this.
  20. SJR

SJR Senior Member

This just scrapes a 3/5. I prefer Let It Be ... Naked.

Big Blue and Hombre like this.
  21. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

It’s the same reason why Apple itself didn’t work.

22. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Forum Resident

I used to always think he was singing "Try to rule they (or day) . . ." --though I couldn't figure out what the last word was supposed to be.

23. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

If nobody told me about it being Spectorized, I wouldn't have had a clue.

Gave it a 5/5. Especially some of the Rooftop concert stuff!!!

24. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

3/5 My lowest rating so far, IMHO it sounds like they didn't get what they initially set out to do and then couldn't quite decide what to do instead. Is there a better album to be made from the session tapes? Maybe.