DCC Archive Ray Charles' "America"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Larry Naramore, Oct 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead Thread Starter

For those of you that have not heard it here's the K-Earth edit of Ray Charles' "America" with George W's terrorist speech edited in. Let me know what you think. Sorry that this is off topic. http://www.larrytherubbishman.com/raycharlesmp3.html
    BTW this song without the edit is on DCC's Ray Charles greatest hits Vol ll

[ October 19, 2001: Message edited by: Larry Naramore ]

[ October 19, 2001: Message edited by: Larry Naramore ]

2. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Leave the songs alone.

3. Matt

Matt New Member

Terrible. From an aesthetic standpoint, I've always hated that gimmick. You know how some Hollywood movies have a lazy tendancy of letting a classic song get a mood/emotion/etc. across rather than the characters or the cinematography? It's the same vice versa.

It's even worse that they would use any of the President's speeches, because while he does reach some high points, as a whole, they seem a bit concerning to me. It bothers me people have reduced the perceived enemy as people who "hate freedom and everything America stands for" (or as Dan Rather put it on Letterman, losers who are jealous of us). Considering how irrational and immoral the attack was on the WTC, there was no need to paint things in a more simplified fashion, but that's what he's done. There's no excuse for what the terrorists did, but to simply paint them as being people who just hate something as broad as freedom and want us dead for it shows how little he really understands everything that's going on. I suppose that shouldn't be surprising (history has always shown a tendency for governments to miss something that leaves the door open to more conflicts), but if things are to be resolved peacefully and hopefully permanently, the administration is going to have to move away from seeing things in just black and white.

4. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead Thread Starter

Camarillo, I normaly don't answer posts such as yours but I feel that someone put in a fair amount of time and talent making this edit so with all due respect I have to ask: FWIW
    Would you suggest that in the movie "Sandlot" where the nerd pretends he's drowning they should have left out the music? I realize that this is not one of the top 10
    movies ever made, rather I use it as an example. American Graffiti used a lot of classic songs along with the characters and cinematography together to make some memorable scenes. Anyway if you don't like the song/edit why did you bother to post? I don't do pissings contests and I RDGAFF anyway. Also your political comments are totally inappropriate. IMHO. :confused:

5. Matt

Matt New Member

Don't get so bent out of shape, no one's trying for a "pissing contest." Let me try to answer all of that. First, why did I post anyway? Well, you asked for comments; if you just wanted to hear praise, I wouldn't have said anything. Second, yes, of course someone took a lot of time with that edit. Almost every song had a lot of time put into it. But, this may be a bit harsh, even if someone put a lot of thought into something and a lot of time, it doesn't make it necessarily good. Sure, you have to respect the effort, and the fact that they were trying to do something good, but a good cause and a lot of effort doesn't always make good art. "Jackob The Liar" may have had its heart in the right place, but most people don't seem to think of it as a good movie.

I haven't seen the Sandlot, so I can't respond to that. I have seen American Graffiti and you're right, it does work, but that was one of the first films to use that formula, among others like Mean Streets. There's also a lot more skill in how they use it, too. Since then, Hollywood has taken that formula and used it often as an easy means to get things accomplished in a movie. It's not always the case, but look at the trend to make films with hit-packed soundtracks.

And finally, sorry you think my political comments are inappropriate, but you're talking about a recording that has been reedited to address the current political climate. You don't think that's political? Or is just the politics I've expressed (you're not a Republican by any chance are you?) I hardly think I'm being that critical of how Bush is handling the situation. Even if I went out of my way and posted a hard dissent like a few people out there are feeling, I still wouldn't think it was inappropriate. It's nice to be patriotic, but you shouldn't prevent open discussion just under the spirit of being patriotic. What makes democracy work is communication; you take away the exchange of ideas or the ability for others to question, and you are doing a great injustice to the spirit of democracy.

[ October 22, 2001: Message edited by: Camarillo ]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.