SH Spotlight RAY CHARLES DCC Gold CD's, questions answered about different mixes used on different Gold disks....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Well, if I do say so myself, the DCC Gold CD of "Ingredients" is one of the best I ever did. It's amazing sounding.

Mal and Kkfan like this.
  2. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

I'll second that.

3. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Seconded!

I played it on Tuesday as the first CD to test out my new OppoBDP-103 and it sounded fabulous!!

4. Steve Hoffman

And those were all the Capitol mixes that were rejected at the time by ABC A&R. Wacky, because what they came up with in the remix sounded very lackluster (compared to those)..

5. Elton

Elton I Hope Being Helpful, Will Make Me Look Cool

Were the labels trying to pay it safe, and holding down the lp returns?

6. Steve Hoffman

Could be. I think it's what I mentioned in post one, Bell Sound simply trying to get some extra billing and credit by remixing needlessly. They did the same thing many times on Ray's stuff recorded elsewhere. I think they wanted their "house sound" (whatever that was) on everything that they cut there.

7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Steve, now own the old Dunhill LP of Ray Charles and Betty Carter on clear vinyl. Sounds lovely.

8. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I was able to get a nice copy at a very fair price (Thanks Jerry!). The sound and presence is everything our host said it is.

9. emjayen

emjayen Forum Resident

If only for "I Can't Stop Loving You," on which DCC or Sandstone CD is the "split choir" mix that was done at Capitol? Or is it only on a GOLD disk? I just want to hear the difference. I own none of the gold CDs, but have all the silver issues...some still sealed. Clue me. Thanks.

10. Steve Hoffman

You read something wrong.

The split choir songs were for "Modern Sounds In Country & Western Music" VOLUME II and include "Take These Chains From My Heart", "Your Cheatin Heart", etc. They were recorded by Al Schmitt at United Recorders, Hollywood.

11. emjayen

emjayen Forum Resident

Thanks, Steve. This whole forum discussion about your mastering of Ray Charles' catalog has made me a huge fan and an enlightened listener.

12. Steve Hoffman

Glad to help. Really great music and sometimes it's fun to get the back story on the recording process.

13. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Yikes. Most of my DCC Ray Charles CDs are the silver ones. Didn't know there was a difference in the mastering. No wonder they were comparatively inexpensive. Bumping the gold ones up to the top of my list.....

14. Steve Hoffman

Sorry to cost you more money but it will be worth it. Find the "Uh Huh" two disk set and the Golds.

rxcory and hodgo like this.
  15. Steve Hoffman

Stuck by request for a little while..

hodgo likes this.
  16. hodgo

It's Sunday morning and seeing this bumped has just prompted me to pull out your remaster of "Ray Charles And Betty Carter" Steve, what could be a better way to start the day than this!

17. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

I don't know, I recently picked up the DCC gold Ingredients In A Recipe For Soul and it is really blowing me away this Sunday morning!

George P likes this.
  18. hodgo

Oh joy "Two To Tango" on right now and it's wonderful! thanks for the bump Steve.

"Ingredients" will be the next CD! I'm in full on Ray Charles mode now.

19. hodgo

Isn't it wonderful!

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this is my favourite Ray Charles album, this DCC gold is outstanding work by Steve!

rxcory likes this.
  20. triple

triple Senior Member

The golds are great, but Uh-huh is special. I am glad that AF reached these heights with the two Bob Dylan GH sets. Let's hope for more like that.

rxcory and hodgo like this.
  21. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Didn't anyone at ABC review the invoices from Bell Sound and question these unnecessary/unrequested line items? The same applies to Bell infamously duping the stereo master of Coltrane's "A Love Supreme" just so they could charge for the "service."

On a related note, did Bell Sound pull any tricks on Apple/ABKCO when they mastered the Beatles' "Hey Jude" and "Let It Be" albums?

22. action pact

I recently picked up (at Goodwill!) the 1998 Rhino CD of "Ray Charles & Better Carter" and "Dedicated To You," mastered by Doug Sax.

Previously I didn't rate Ray's ABC albums very highly compared to the earthier Atlantic albums, but I've had a change of heart. Ray was an amazingly communicative singer, with exceptional pacing. Once I got past the shmaltzy strings and choirs, the brilliance of Ray's performances became very clear.

23. Steve Hoffman

All studios did it, not a big deal but a pain in the butt when it comes to archive accuracy.

24. action pact

Yikes. Sneaky bastards!

25. lrpm

lrpm Forum Resident

I have found an european cd edition of 'Ingredients in a recipe of soul' under the label 'Personality', made in Belgium. It estates in the artwork to be 'compiled, digitally remixed & mastered by Ray Charles & Steve Hoffman' and to be licensed from DCC Compact Classics. It has 14 tracks (10+4 bonus tracks) and there appears 1990 as the production year.
    My question is whether it is a clone of the DCC silver cd, or the gold cd, or maybe they could tamper with the sound and alter the original mastering.