SH Spotlight RAY CHARLES DCC Gold CD's, questions answered about different mixes used on different Gold disks....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Should match the silver 1987-88 Dunhill CD stuff exactly. A clone, in fact.

Simon A likes this.
  2. lrpm

lrpm Forum Resident

Ok, good news. Many thanks.

3. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Fascinating.
    I have a question.
    The original ABC-Paramount LP issue of Vol.2 seems to be readily and inexpensively available in Mono.
    After the success of Vol.1 I have a feeling they pressed a ton of Vol.2.

What's your view of Vol.1 & Vol.2 Mono vs Stereo?

4. Steve Hoffman

I think that Volume 2 is indeed out there in mono, I have one and they probably had a bunch left over when, in 1967-68, ABC went "all stereo." However, the pressing run for volume 1 was tremendous and the reason they don't show up as much (in mono) is that they are still in collections.

My view of mono vs. stereo? Bill Putnam AND Capitol (the engineer's name I can't remember right now) recorded everything live in Mono full track, stereo two track AND three-track at the same time, double AA's for each (two machines for each). That's SIX tape recorders going at once. Some were edited, some stored, most destroyed by Ray, sadly.

If I had to choose, the stereo wins each time on these.

Kkfan and Simon A like this.
  5. spencer1

OK here's what we do, we take the 3 track and make it LCR, take the stereo and put it in the surrounds, dedicate a sub (I'm sure there is enough audio information for that)
    and TA-DAAA!!! We have a weird 5.1!!

I have my mom's old beat up ABC-Paramount and a few CD versions including that complete box-set.
    I grew up on Ray Charles and inherited her LP's. He was her absolute favorite.
    This will make you laugh, she was born in the 20's and just loved CCR. Weird.

I will look for original issue stereo LP's as those seem to be the most reasonably priced and pretty widely available.
    What do you think of the Rhino vinyl reissue?

(dammit hard to concentrate on work)

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  6. Steve Hoffman

I don't know about the vinyl reissue. I worked on one of them for Rhino, or two, actually, credited only for one, but that was many years ago.

I'd try and find a mint Bell Sound cut stereo ABC-Paramount original, cut from the actual stereo masters. I found a few that were really nice and cheap. Of course this was the 1990s, but still...

7. Steve Hoffman

Ain't that the truth? Yet engineers were so quick to abandon tube gear for solid state. Kept the little control room cool with no valves to light up, I guess.

Kkfan likes this.
  8. spencer1

I do have those Rhino Ray Charles "Greatest Hits" compilations on LP.
    There are two of those, I have them both and I think you are credited on both of them ...

As far as "Modern Sounds .." goes LET THE SEARCH BEGIN ...

[​IMG]

9. Steve Hoffman

Helpful hint. There were MANY recuts, all from the master but try and find a pressing that has the shiny ABC-Paramount label, should be the best. The later pressings with the not shiny ABC Paramount label (or worse, just the ABC label) were made from older parts but the noise level of the vinyl is much worse. Any pressing before 1967 should be fine.

10. spencer1

Thank god my wife is not a member because then she would find out that I am heading to Amoeba at lunch today ... maybe The Record Parlor or Atomic in Burbank tomorrow.
    I love this thing that is much more and much deeper than a hobby.

Thanks for the information.

11. Steve Hoffman

This is something that a trusted on-line seller should be able to get for you.

12. spencer1

Nothing in the classified, nothing at Amoeba except those new ones on weird dodgy labels (Waxtime, Dol ...)

Vol.2 on the label some say "Full Color Fidelity" and some say "Full Frequency Stereo" ... these both have the "ABC - Paramount" label.

A question and then we can all get back to our normal lives.
    How apparent is the "Shiny label".
    I'm guessing you are comparing it to a flat black label.

Thank god for pictures. I'm finding some that are called "original issue" have the "ABC" but no Paramount.
    Damn I love these albums.
    He not only transcended what would in other cases be thought of as over-produced muzak strings and back up vocals but by juxtaposing that beautifully worn voice against them something unique and sublime was created.
    For me right up there with that Betty & Ray album.

13. Steve Hoffman

Wow, look a fake DCC test pressing of Modern Sounds. We never did that album.

Ray Charles Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music DCC LP Test Pressing »

14. spencer1

15. Steve Hoffman

16. Steve Hoffman

17. spencer1

Thanks.
    The search has just begun ... you can save me some time by digging out that extra copy that I know you have somewhere.
    Meet you at the Dennys at Gower Gulch ...

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  18. Steve Hoffman

I wish I had an extra copy. I'm looking for a nice MONO of Modern Sounds. All of them seem to be well loved (IOW trashed).

rxcory likes this.
  19. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

That's why I like this site, I noticed a Sequel copy on the 'bay last night and wondered if it was the same mastering, a quick search gives me the exact info I need. £4 later and it's on its way!

Simon A likes this.
  20. Steve Hoffman

I just reread this entire thread. Some great information on it!

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  21. bodine

bodine Senior Member

Why didn’t you do a DCC gold of Ray’s Crying Time?

I think it was his all-time best ABC recording. Percy Mayfield originals, Billy Preston on organ, Let’s Go Get Stoned, Crying Time - How could you go wrong?

Simon A likes this.
  22. Steve Hoffman

Wanted to. Can't have everything.

Kkfan, Simon A and rxcory like this.
  23. bodine

bodine Senior Member

Ha! Life is like that...

24. Steve Hoffman

Ray didn't want to hear of or about that album. A bad memory for him, I think (drug bust related.)

Kkfan, Simon A and rxcory like this.
  25. bodine

bodine Senior Member

Sadly, as far as I know, there’s never been a legit CD of Crying Time. I know Concord put out a digital version online that wasn’t bad. But it doesn’t compare to the original ABC LP version which I’ve treasured since I picked it up new in a record store bargain bin in the late 1960s.