Ray LaMontagne "Monovision" - new album, coming 6/26/20

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by agentalbert, May 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member Thread Starter

A few new Ray LaMontagne songs have been released lately, and I was glad to see today that a full new album is coming. Monovision will be released June 26th, 2020.

[​IMG]

First single "We'll Make It Through"

2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member Thread Starter

Second single "Strong Enough" just released today.

Both tracks are really good! I'm looking forward to this full album.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    Record Rotator and pghmusiclover like this.
  3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I have one of his records and it’s pretty good stuff.

4. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Sounds like a bit of a return to the woody, acoustic, folky style of God Willing and the Creek Don't Rise. A good thing from my perspective.
    Monovision:

1. Roll Me Mama, Roll Me
    2. I Was Born to Love You
    3. Strong Enough
    4. Summer Clouds
    5. We'll Make It Through
    6. Misty Morning Rain (Here And Gone Again)
    7. Rocky Mountain Healin'
    8. Weeping Willow
    9. Morning Comes Wearing Diamonds
    10. Highway to The Sun

TeleKing and painted8 like this.
  5. windfall

windfall Senior Member

nice Creedence vibe to this one - it's partly the voice.

JoeF. and agentalbert like this.
  6. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Just A Flea-Bit Peanut Monkey

I was thinking that it reminded me of Proud Mary when I first heard it.
    Looking forward to the new album based upon the first two tracks.

7. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Hopefully record stores will be open by then, cuz this is a definite must-buy for me!

RL is one of the few artists where every album in his discography is excellent... I'm sure the new one will continue the trend!

DJ WILBUR and groovelocked like this.
  8. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Looking forward to this new music!

9. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Just A Flea-Bit Peanut Monkey

Third track from the new album out Friday

I like this. Looking forward to hearing the full album on Friday.

10. siebrand

siebrand music lover

I have these two, Like them a lot:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I'll go for this "Monovision too, I think
    @agentalbert: Thank you for letting us know!

11. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I would agree then as God Willing is an excellent album

Phillip Walch likes this.
  12. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Oh, this is good news! I didn't know Ray had a new one on the way. I'll definitely be listening. I'm a fan. I enjoy every record he has put out and Part of the Light was incredibly underrated in 2018. No one talked about that album at all and it was really strong.

13. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

He just posted this one, too:

So the credits say Ray engineered and produced these recordings all by himself.

14. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I listened to the album this morning. I thought it was okay. Kind of floaty, dreamy stuff with very patient running times and loose, non-obvious melodies.

It doesn't have any of the interesting stylistic diversions that were on Part of the Light or Ouroboros. Honestly, I found it a touch boring. I did hear a few new influences. I thought 'Rocky Mountain Healin'" sounded like John Denver (and not just because of the Colorado love--it really sounds like a Denver composition) and "Weeping Willow" sounds like the Everly Brothers.

I'll probably listen again because I like Ray, but my first impression is that this is most non-essential record since Supernova.

tms766 likes this.
  15. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

I'm really enjoying this new album. Born to Love You, Summer Clouds, and the closing track Highway to the Sun are really great tracks.

DJ WILBUR and jeffrey walsh like this.
  16. tms766

tms766 Forum Resident

Having listened to the album on Spotify twice, I tend to agree with this assessment. Too little stylistic variation, too many dreamy songs with non-descript melodies (Summer Clouds in particular refuses to leave any impression on me). Will need to listen more, but so far somewhat disappointing after the excellent albums that came before it.

17. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

This one is very John Fogerty-ish.

18. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Three times thru this morning, fine effort. Highway to the Sun another gem in his wonderful discography.

19. Phillip Walch

I really like this album. I can see why some might not take to its dreamlike sound, its very simple at times. But I don't need every album to challenge me, sometimes something that fits instantly is fine too.

20. jeffrey walsh

Saw him tour in 2018 with John Stirrat from Wilco, show was very much like the vibe of this record. Don’t always need to rock out, although I’ve enjoyed the last few records very much.

21. Phillip Walch

I have to be honest that the last two albums took me some time and only recently have I really started to appreciate Ouroboros but now I get it. I think it's a stunning album.

I've not seen him live since he was in Manchester, UK back on the Till the Sun tour but it was an incredible experience to watch him and the way he vocalises and offers up his words. Each line felt like its own picture postcard until it all came together in a tapestry. That sounds as fairy as some of his lyrics but that's how it felt.

Ivand and Voodoo Child like this.
  22. jeffrey walsh

The music matters, he means every word he conveys, total honesty 100% all the way, Admire he doesn’t get swayed with trends, blazing his own trail on his own terms. Supernova was the only misstep imo, just didn’t get it but far from a dud.

23. Phillip Walch

I totally agree, I replied to somebody on YouTube who said he was underrated, I disagree, he has shaped his career as he wants. I admire an artist who knows they could put out Trouble a dozen times and be famous yet chooses a path that suits their creative goals. I don't always have to like an album to admire the intentions.

24. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

i saw this guy once live, and he would fight with the aud, telling them to leave. great show.

25. Phillip Walch

There was a streaker at the gig in Manchester, he told the crowd it was pathetic and those who cheered her were welcome to leave too. He was not impressed. He got a rather large applause and standing ovation for that.

Voodoo Child and musicaner like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.