Ray LaMontagne "Monovision" - new album, coming 6/26/20

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by agentalbert, May 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

when i saw him there was whole row of hot chicks asking him to play certain songs. he told them to shut up and leave, to go home and listen to the records. the whole row stood up and left, super hot chicks. on their way he out he said 'dont come back ever again.'

2. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

Love it. That's him through and through. If you don't like what he's offering then it's best to find someone that does. A Ray gig is no place to be shouting out requests.

DJ WILBUR likes this.
  3. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

i dont think hes comfortable performing. he had his mic set up all the way to the side of the stage where you can hardly see him.

ARK likes this.
  4. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

Oh wow, when I saw him he was dead centre. Grantee he was definitely shy. He opened with Be Here Now with no lights. Just him and the guitar and then a spotlight came on and he stepped into the light as the song continued. It was very beautiful.

painted8 and jeffrey walsh like this.
  5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member Thread Starter

Summer Clouds gave me a start - his voice sounded so different at the beginning, for a second I thought it was someone else singing.

Misty Morning Rain is an early favorite. I really like that one along with Strong Enough.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    Phillip Walch and DJ WILBUR like this.
  6. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

Woke up super (nova) early this morning to find Monovision streaming and as I love Ray and had no idea this was out i gave it a turn around the block so to speak. I just ordered it on vinyl. Perfect Sunday morning record for me. It is a “dreamy” record for sure, but with Covid loneliness its nice to daydream a bit with songs that can take us away. I have been a fan from the start of his career and I love all of his records for the most part, i have a special love for Supernova which seems to get no love from anywhere but I find myself playing that one so often...maybe cause he channels my inner Syd B. But that one is terrific along with Orouboro are the two I’ve pulled out the most this year. Gonna rest this new Ray next to Homegrown.

7. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Be Here Now is a stunner, you lucky dog!

rob68 and Phillip Walch like this.
  8. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Does anyone know how the vinyl sounds?

9. davidkeith

davidkeith Senior Member

My copy sounds great to my ears. Mastered by Bob Ludwig. Side 1 seems very dynamic; side 2 seems a bit less dynamic with a bit less bass slam. But that may just be the recording. But, I'm liking what I'm hearing.

I noticed on Discogs that some people in the US received copies pressed at Memphis Record Pressing and had issues with crackle and side 2 being off center. My copy purchased here in the Midwest at my local store is an MPO pressing and is flat, centered and is about as flawless as you can expect vinyl to be. If you get a Memphis pressing your mileage may vary.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  10. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

DJ WILBUR in the house!

Oh yes I love the Syd B. vibes on Supernova too.....although my favorites on that one are probably Airwaves (very spooky, at least to me) and Ojai.

Will Spotify the new album this weekend. Everything Ray is quality stuff.

wgb113 likes this.
  11. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Is this mono or stereo? Sounds like stereo to me but maybe its just my imagination.

Geee! likes this.
  12. I thought the same thing and determined it's stereo, then I reconsidered the title again debating whether it is sound or vision.

This is the first Ray L I have gotten into since Creek

musicaner and fmfxray373 like this.
  13. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

I really love this album after 1st listen.

14. agentalbert

I was listening in the car last night, and I noticed the drums panned hard left on "Strong Enough". It's stereo.

fmfxray373 likes this.
  15. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Forum Resident

Man, this is really good!

fmfxray373 and pghmusiclover like this.
  16. agentalbert

I really like the album. I noticed in the credits that its pretty much a one man show (like Part Of The Light) with Ray playing everything, producing, and mixing. Bob Ludwig mastered.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  17. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

This is a fantastic album as a whole. But it's not one that I can play all the way through as sequenced. I have to skip around.
    And to be honest, it could use another uptempo song like "Strong Enough" to mix things up a bit.

"Highway to the Sun" is going to be a classic.

paradox55 likes this.
  18. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I guess I'm confused -- why would people think this is not a stereo recording? Doesn't the "mono" in the title refer to the fact he made this album on his own?

Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  19. agentalbert

I agree with this. The first two mellow tracks don't seem like they should open the album. It doesn't seem to get going until track #3.

I think some might have assumed because of the title it was mixed as mono. I never took the album title to mean that myself.

Maybe as a gimmick he could sell a limited edition mono vinyl pressing. People would probably snatch it up.

20. Carl Steward

Carl Steward Forum Resident

I had the same exact reaction. Definitely a CCR backbeat. The subsequent song, Summer Clouds, sounds a whole lot like John Denver. Actually, a few of them sound like Denver ... Rocky Mountain Healin', for example. I mean, come on ... the title alone. That's not a knock ... the album is a laid-back treat.

21. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

"Strong Enough" is an homage to CCR--right down to that 'break" in the middle of the song that's straight out of "Who'll Stop the Rain."

22. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Yes...a singular vision. That's how I interpreted it.

23. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Old school Ampex tape recorder on the cover.
    The letter x checked next to the monovision box vice stereovision box.
    You see that mono/stereo check box on a lot of old album covers.

He may be poking fun at some of his fans by being ironic? Monovision=closeminded...I'm gonna fool you anyway with a stereo album? Who knows.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  24. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

a return to form.

25. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

It’s a good album.
    With the last three albums , he seemed out of his comfort zone.

Knew he was a great singer and writer , but I didn’t know how excellent a musician he is.

musicaner likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.