Ray Sanders appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by melstapler, Jan 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    Name the CMA award-winning artist who has had 26 Billboard charting songs and over 14 chart hits during his 20-year career and recorded for Liberty, Imperial Records, United Artists and Republic Records. If you answered Ray Sanders, you're correct.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Kentucky-born Raymon Sanders exited the womb in 1935 and was raised in a log cabin. He later began a career in music as a disc jockey. Sanders became a performer at the Lincoln Jamboree and Renfro Valley Barn Dance, before making his first appearance on the Grand Ole Opry in 1959. In 1960, Sanders signed a record deal with Liberty and reached top 20 on the country charts with 'A World So Full of Love' and 'Lonelyville.'
    [​IMG]
    Sanders worked for Ray Price, who called him "Curly," due to his dark curly hair. Sanders was the tenor singer for Ray Price and appeared on hits such as 'Heartaches By The Number.' Years later, Sanders recorded a tribute album dedicated to his former boss, entitled "Ray Sings Ray."

'Two Hearts Are Broken'
    Sanders found success with a number of singles, including 'Dynamite,' 'Walking Blues' and 'This Time.' In 1959, he recorded with the The Jordanaires on backing vocals; resulting in the single 'I Can't Resist You' b/w 'I'm So Afraid.'
    [​IMG]
    Sanders moved to Imperial Records in 1969, reaching number 22 with "Beer Drinkin' Music", and then to United Artists. By 1977, he was working in Riverside, California as a house act for a club called White Sands. Since the 2000s, Sanders has been recording for the independent label Hillside Records, having minor hits on the European Country Music Charts. In addition to his music interests, Sanders has had other business ventures including writing and working as an electronic technician.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    Vintage1976 and Frederick Mars like this.
  2. melstapler

Sanders has performed on Hee Haw, Renfro Valley, The Hank Thompson Show, and as a featured singer on the Miss World Beauty Pageant. After playing with his band at the Dolly Parton Club in Hawaii, Sanders was inspired and relocated to the Big Island. Sanders presented the History Of Country Music at the Famous Bishop Museum in Hawaii. Another memorable occasion was when Sanders brought country music to the Stardancer Cruise Ship and to the top resorts throughout the Hawaiian Islands.
    [​IMG]

'Two Hearts Are Broken' is a Harlan Howard composition. Sanders recorded this song for Liberty with producer Joe Allison

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    Frederick Mars likes this.
  3. melstapler

Sanders released an enjoyable interpretation of 'My Special Angel' in 1980

4. melstapler

'Beer Drinkin' Music' is an enjoyable track from the 1969 LP "Feelin Good Is Easy.' I've been trying to convince @Rick Bartlett to record this song on his next album.

Record Rotator and Rick Bartlett like this.
  5. melstapler

From 1972, 'Holly Would' is an enjoyable song which appears on the "A Rose By Any Other Name" LP.

6. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

It's a 'goodin'! When I was playin', I don't know why I never even considered it.
    It got released and played 'down under' and I have the 45.
    [​IMG]
    Maybe when I'm old and fragile and I get discovered by a young generation....
    i'll wipe down the rusty ol' strings, re-tube the old amp, loose a few pounds,
    put on a new western shirt, dye the grey's, find me ol' Akubra (Ozzie made) 'rough rider'
    cowboy hat, and play me some:
    [​IMG]

melstapler likes this.
  7. melstapler

Sanders recorded an enjoyable version of the standard 'Before The Next Teardrop Falls'

Record Rotator and Rick Bartlett like this.
  8. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

This guy needs his early work reissued.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.