Rca audio switcher?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by aphexacid, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aphexacid

aphexacid It’s not Hip Hop, it’s Electro. Thread Starter

First I’d like to say Happy New Year to everyone!

I have a Kyocera R-461, and I have discovered that the cd/aux input sounds the best. My turntable plugged into the phono input doesn’t sound as clear as it does when I plug it into the cd/aux input with an external preamp.
    It also has an av/aux that I swear doesn’t sound as good as the cd/aux.

So what I’d like to know is if I were to get an rca switch box to make my life easier since I won’t have to plug and unplug 3 different things (TT, CD, MP3), will the sound be degraded at all?
    If so how noticeable will it be?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good switcher?

2. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Luxman makes a 4 input line selector you can buy from Japan Sellers on Ebay for around $100.

There also the Niles AXP-1 a “vintage” unit which has a 5 inputs on a rotary dial selector. I have one recently bought on Ebay for $60, does the job nicely with no effect on the sound.

scotpagel likes this.
  3. kdejonge

kdejonge Forum Resident

4. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

What is your budget for this? one very inexpensive workable thing is a video game system switch box. Under $6.00 here, check the auction site too
    https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Composite-Selector-Switch-Gamecube/dp/9867299434

Just ignore the video inputs and output and use the L and R inputs and output. This one is really cheap, so no idea how long it might last, but it is very simple inside.

This is a passive switch box so it will not affect the sound.

There are better things at higher prices - some are noted on that amazon page.

BrentB likes this.
  5. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

I had one of the Schiit switchers and it worked perfect. Got me thinking about and I can't find mine. I could sell you mine, if I could find it.

6. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

7. mike.

mike. Forum Resident

This is what I'm using to switch between my analog and digital rigs and seems to work fine. Plus it's passive.

8. aphexacid

aphexacid It’s not Hip Hop, it’s Electro. Thread Starter

Thanks guys I ordered the Schiit sys, it’s not ideal since it’s only got 2 inputs, but my Yamaha s300 CD player has a USB port on it so it shouldn’t be that bad.

9. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Tisbury Audio passive preamp - 3 inputs and two outputs. £150 new. Bound to be something similar in the States. See what pro audio options exist maybe?

spartree likes this.
  10. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

That’s the one I have. I don’t use it often, but it is a useful bit of kit to have and is built quite well.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  11. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

Been using the Niles for 24 years for cd changer selection and video games. Thought I didn't need it anymore and was about to give it away. Nope. Now I need it because the headphone amp I have only has one input and I hate pulling out the cables all the time

DigMyGroove likes this.
  12. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Yes, in theory, the sound would be degraded. The extra interconnect to connect to the switch box quality, the extra length and quality of the internal wiring, the quality of the switch will degrade the quality.

In practice, the switchbox will have negligible effect on a reasonable quality hifi (assuming reasonable quality cable is used). It is likely to be more noticeable on an ultra-high-end system, where you would use audiophile grade connections and switch in it's construction.

13. I use one of these and cant fault it. Perfect solution

Brother_Rael likes this.
  14. Melvin

Melvin Forum Resident

When I was in need of a switch box a few years ago I opted for the somewhat pricey Decware ZSB. Nice build quality with 4 inputs and 2 outputs. Very convenient and no degradation of sound quality that I could detect.

15. timind

timind phorum rezident

Back in the day I used one of these to accommodate 3 cassette decks. It worked well and I never noted any signal degradation with it.
    [​IMG]

16. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

I use a QED box with these kind of connections and more simplistic switching.
    There's no degradation, it's great, very useful.

17. Francois

Francois Forum Resident

After searching for a while I decided to just make myself a patch panel since I need multiple In/out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.