DCC Archive RCA Bowie CDs...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vivaldinization, Dec 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member Thread Starter

Being as my GS and Zombies requests went complete bust...ehh, I'll try again.

Anybody here have most of the Bowie RCA CDs, and be willing to make CDR copies? I haven't heard them in ages, and I figure they'd be nice to have as compared to the VIrgin CDs.

-D

2. Douglas

Douglas New Member

I don't have them anymore but I have heard them. I prefer the Ryko versions. The RCA versions were not from the masters; they were taken from the LP masters and they were EQ'd for vinyl and sound like it.

3. FabFourFan

FabFourFan Senior Member

I have 3 old RCA Bowie CDs, Young Americans and Changes 1 made in W. Germany, and Changes 2 made in France (where I bought it).

I have not listened to them for a while.

If this helps, just let me know!

[ December 07, 2001: Message edited by: FabFourFan ]

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I have Ziggy Stardust & Spiders From Mars on RCA. I actually like it better than the Ryco for the reason it has a really nice warm bottom end sound, and the sound isn't bleached or dark in the high end either.

Still, the Rycos, for the most part, are the ones to own. I'm glad I got all I could.

5. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member

I have the RCA "Space Oddity" PCD1-4813 which is made in Japan. Comparing the RCA version of SO against the Rykodisc Changesbowie version of SO were not that far apart in quality, although the Ryko does win out overall. At aprox 3:50 min. into SO Bowie very softly says the word "can" in the left channel, I hear it on both versions. The cymbals seem clearer on the Ryko also. It just seems the Rykodisc version has a little more clarity.

6. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

i have an RCA copy of "low" i was given as a present in '86, or so. it sounds so good i never upgraded to the ryko version.

later, chris

7. FabFourFan

FabFourFan Senior Member

All this Bowie talk motivated me to go back and listen to my YOUNG AMERICANS CDs.

I decided to compare the track "Fame" on the old W. German RCA CD of Young Americans (PD80998, 8-40:26, obtained 8/86)
    to the same track on the US Ryko CD of Young Americans (RCD 10140, 11-59:01, obtained 6/91).

Until today, I probably hadn't played either CD in several years...

The results were as follows (IMHO!):
    1986 RCA - weak sounding but listenable.
    1991 Ryko - unlistenable digital garbage.

---

The Ryko was SO BAD that halfway through, I had to get up and wander around the listening room until it was finished.
    Yeah, it might be from a better source tape then the RCA, but they push everything until it falls apart in a rotten mess.

Like many other anxious CD buyers 10 years ago, I _believed_ it when they promised that the Ryko would be a major improvement over the RCA, which I remembered as a little uninteresting.

So, sure, I wish that the RCA was sourced from a 'fresher' tape, but at least it was tolerable and sounded like music...

Anyway, that's how it sounded to me!

---

Maybe they re-did these tracks again and there really is a good-sounding version available?

(As always, if anyone wants a cdr with the two tracks on it, just ask. Or, even better, if you have these 2 versions and any better ones, I would appreciate a cdr myself!)

[ December 07, 2001: Message edited by: FabFourFan ]

8. Sckott

Steve mentioned the RCA "Ziggy Stardust" sounded like the master tape.

9. vinylrec

vinylrec Senior Member

The RCA Ziggy CD sounds fine to me. The best verson so far....

10. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

For Ziggy, I have a CDR of the RCA (from a kind board member), the Ryko, the Mewly remastered one and an old vinyl copy. Don't have the Ryko AU20.

IMHO, the RCA is the best of the CDs. I don't think the Ryko is digital garbage - it's "OK" (meaning that I can listen to it!) - mainly because I definitely prefer it over the recent remaster!

If you think the Ryko is digital garbage, don't even think of touching the Mewest remaster! Uggghh!

But the absolutely best copy that I have is the stock vinyl. Nothing even comes close to it!

Does anyone know if the RCA CD made in Japan is different than the RCA CD made in USA?

11. Sckott

No, it shoulnd't be.

12. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Just in case you didn't know during the Bowie reign on Rykco, Rykco issued a very limited numbered box set containing all eight of the AU Gold series disks released. It is my understanding that only 1000 of these set came out, maybe less mine is numbered 0032.

13. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Tommy, is there much of a difference between the AU20 & normal Ryko releases? I'm under the impression that the AU20's are a bit brighter....

And that's quite a collectors item you have! Wish I had got one!

14. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Unfornuately the Bowie set is still sealed and I'm very hestitant to open it. However When I compared the two Zappa titles to the regular titles the Zappa's sounded better. They were smoother and more analogue like. That my recollection from four years ago.

15. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member Thread Starter

The Zappas are/were definately different...One Size was merely a fidelity improvement, but Apostrophe used the vinyl mix (compared with the stock CD, which used a remix).

I say USED because, recently, Ryko swapped the gold CD masters in for the regular ones, so recent regular Apostrophe's and OSFAs are the vinyl/AU20 mixes.

-D

16. Douglas

Douglas New Member

From an authoritative Bowie website, which favorably compares Ryko to the RCAs. I agree with their opinion. To each his own: http://www.5years.com/changes2.htm

In 1984 RCA released... Bowie's RCA catalogue. This made Bowie the first major rock star to have his entire output available in digital form. However, there was a drawback. Instead of using the original master tapes - RCA used the heavily equalised tapes that had been used for pressing LPs. As a result, the sound of the RCA CDs while largely OK, was not what it could have been.

and

"The differences to be heard in contrast to the original RCA CDs are in no way subtle or minor. These new [Ryko] discs sound alive and three-dimensional - the RCA discs sound like a cheap AM radio in comparison. Instruments that were inaudible on the RCA discs are clearly heard here

17. FabFourFan

FabFourFan Senior Member

---

"Authoritative", my ass.

---

To be polite, please let me first say that I compared _Young Americans_, not Ziggy, and I don't have any Ziggy's on hand...

However, it's pretty obvious that the web site is just repeating the same old marketing ******** that I myself wanted to believe, once upon a time...

Though, to be fair, until I hear some Ziggy's for myself, I will politely say that, heck, they may be right! :)

---

So, can anybody provide a Ziggy track from the various releases on a cdr for comparison?

[ December 08, 2001: Message edited by: FabFourFan ]

18. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Just chiming in - I have the RCA Changesone CD, and while it doesn't sound BAD, there isn't a hell of a lot of LIFE on it either. It always sounded to me that they used "the album master" (not necessarily the EQ'd vinyl master, but a reel compiled from the album masters for each individual song). That would make it (at least) one generation further away than what we should be hearing. Kudos to RCA for not applying nasty noise reduction, but using a second generation greatest hits master seems to increase the hiss and "round off" the high end.

[ December 08, 2001: Message edited by: Uncle Al ]

19. lucifer-chops

lucifer-chops Forum Resident

FWIW I grew up listening to Bowie on vinyl. The RCA CDs are the only ones that come close to providing the same warm and 'involving' listening experience. The Rkyo/EMI versions sound cold and clinical in comparison and don't hold my attention.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.