RCA Elvis Deletions?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Roland Stone, Jul 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member Thread Starter

I just received a list of Elvis Presley titles that are being deleted by RCA. Basically, it's everything except the new TODAY TOMORROW & FOREVER, ARTIST OF THE CENTURY, and VEGAS boxes. (There may be a few more, but I'm not an expert.) Even recent titles like the PLATINUM box and PRIVATE ELVIS HOME RECORDINGS are being deleted: 90 titles by my count!

Does anyone know what's happening? What are they going to be replaced with? Obviously RCA can't go long without Elvis product in the stores.

2. Cousin It

Cousin It Senior Member

I was amazed to find out that BMG U.K deleted the new Elvis single when it was at its 4th week at No.1 so they could promote something else. Incredible:confused:

3. RDK

RDK Active Member

Maybe they're getting ready to remaster and reissue everything in SACD in a way that makes sense.

Oh, and maybe they'll hire Steve to do the honors.

And maybe Elvis IS still alive and working at the Dairy Queen in downtown Peoria....

;)

4. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

5. Claus

Claus Senior Member

He will join to the german telecommunication company T-Online.

6. Roland Stone

Another Thought

I don't think the massive deletion program could involve, say, a contract squabble with the Elvis Presley estate. And I don't think it could involve moving his catalog to another label.

It's my understanding that RCA owns the rights to the Elvis catalog lock-stock-and-barrel into perpetuity, sold to them by Tom Parker some time ago for what now looks like a paltry sum, $5 million or something like that.

7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

My only concern here is what they plan to do with the catalog.

8. feinstein

feinstein Member

I don't see ANY evidence anywhere on the web to support what Ron has reported here. Ernst Jorgensen has also denied it. I believe that it's an unsubstatiated rumor and just isn't true.

9. Roland Stone

Sources

If the "massive deletion program" is a rumor, it's one coming from the hardcore fan base. My source is a flier enclosed with my first issue of ELVIS-TODAY, a fan club publication that seems very tight with the label. My subscription/CD sampler order form was enclosed in an RCA Elvis CD.

From their website [www.Elvis-Today.com] (emphasis mine):

"Elvis-Today a new magazine in the Elvis world is born. Endorsed by the BMG Elvis Commitee - the mangement team behind Presley's RCA catalog - Elvis-Today will bring fast and factual in its quarterly full color journal, with photographs taken from one of the world's largest private Presley picture libraries, plus archival material directly from the vaults. Edited by Todd Slaughter and Pal Granlund, with hands on support from RCA catalog consultants Ernst Jorgensen and Roger Semon Elvis-Today boast an impressive line up of contributors and staff.

"Take out an introductory subscription today and you will receive a FREE "Follow that dream" CD sampler featuring highlights from the new Elvis Collector's label. Plus you will have the opportunity to obtain the now deleted first three releases, so hurry!"

The flier announcing the deletions program was included with my copy of ELVIS-TODAY, another flier, and a Follow That Dream CD sampler, all of which I received in one package. The information on the flier surprised me. From the flier:

"BMG announced last month a massive RCA Elvis Presley catalog deletions program which has seen an immediate withdrawal of 50 titles world-wide, with more to follow. In the U.S. for the last two or three years it has become increasingly difficult to obtain back-catalog products, and as a consequence Elvis-Today USA began a mail order service offering most of the landmark titles, mostly sourced from Europe, and for a limited time only we are proud to be in a position to supply the following items, but please, if you wish to complete your collection, order now, as we can continue this service for a limited time only. Also, whenever possible, please request an alternative title should the current deletions program extend to your first choice."

Then there's a list of 90 titles, some of which have been out-of-print for some time, and more recent titles I was surprised anyone would order at the relatively high prices ($18-$25/disc). There is no differentiation between an already out-of-print title (like several of the "Essentials" discs), one from the "current deletions program," and an unaffected title. (Sorry, I don't have a scanner).

So we have 50 titles deleted, according to the flier, with "more to follow." Maybe I'm over-reading into this flier, but the implication, to me, is that these 90 titles are soon to be out-of-print and unavailable. At the very least, we have a clear statement that 50 titles are being withdrawn world-wide.

If this is just hype, please tell me. But it would seem odd that this particular publication -- whose masthead editorial congratulates BMG/RCA for "taking on board" fans' opinions (while implying that the Elvis Presley Estate does not); boasts of their connection to the label (as above); is a US source for BMG/RCA-authorized Follow That Dream CDs; features BMG/RCA advertising on its back cover; whose subsciption form is included in a BMG/RCA Elvis CD -- would inaccurately report that a massive deletions program was underway.

I'm sorry I didn't list my source earlier, but I figured if this was in ELVIS-TODAY, it would be common knowledge among the Elvis fans on the forum. As another member posted, I was hoping to hear that RCA was planning to reissue these titles in a dual-layer SACD format, and/or that they were so pleased with SH's work on the gold discs that he was getting a crack at the whole catalog.

Any explanations will be happily accepted. I didn't want to try to purchase all the Elvis CDs on my wantlist in a couple months. The man's catalog is huge!

10. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

I'd be very leery about information from such a source. There are many online Elvis dealers who use scare tactics to charge outrageous prices on items that, if you'd do a little searching, can be found for a LOT less.

Anyway, even if the entire Elvis catalog is deleted, which I doubt, because certain releases have NEVER gone out of print since their original vinyl issue (at least two Elvis albums have been in print continuously since 1956!) -- they'll be out there and available for a long, long time. You'll be able to find 'em at your local used CD store for about $8 for the single discs. And the record clubs have ample supply of many titles.

Remember, just because something's "out of print" doesn't mean it's "out of stock"!

11. Grant

I have no problem finding most any Elvis CD. Could it be that an announcement of some sort of upgrading campaign was erroneously taken that the catalog was going to be deleted?

12. mikenyc

mikenyc New Member

Re: Any connection here?

Interesting, in that an overseas, Elvis fan site, use to get Ernst Jorgensen to answer, occasional, fan questions, as a regular feature.

This following notice was posted...

"The sad news is that Ernst can not continue to answer all the questions anymore. Ernst told me the following:

This is going to be the last time I can do this. From now on I will only make public statements whenever RCA decides that I need to. A restructuring at RCA means that I will have to spent considerably more time on other issues, and commĂșnicating with individual clus-magazines-websites is no longer possible. Eventually we will find another way of communicating with the fans. "

Sounds like they're circling the wagons, Folks !!!!

13. Grant

Sounds like the old guard has put a gag-order on Jourgenson. Something is definately up with BMG, and the Elvis catalog is in the middle of it. Parhaps they are going to cut out some Elvis titles, seeing as how the market is saturated with them. Maybe they are going to streamline the catalog, which means collectors will have to get what they can before it's gone.

I also wonder how much longer this thread will be allowed to continue...

14. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Just my two cents...

BMG should:

1. Re-issue all of Elvis's studio & soundtrack albums as two-fers with appropriate non-album singles (more than enough room on each disc).

2. Delete the numerous greatest hits, love songs, country songs, blues songs and rock songs discs.

3. Release previously unissued material exclusively through the mail order only FTD label to avoid confusing the general consumer.

4. Issue a double disc best-of (50 to 60 tracks) for the general consumer/casual music listener.

5. Issue a definitive four disc box best-of (100+ tracks) for those music listeners who are not interested in purchasing the two-fer releases but want a more balanced and in-depth overview of his career.

6. Let Bear Family release a "Complete Sun Sessions" box with all masters and surviving alternate takes.

7. Finally, a comprehensive multi disc collection of every Elvis studio master from 1953 to 1976 for the hard core collector.

Why BMG hasn't already thought of this is beyond me.

15. Grant

...and don't forget the most important, get SH to remaster it all!

16. tim_neely

In mono AND stereo where appropriate.

17. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

BMG is trying to sell Elvis to the younger generation that thus far has been pretty resistant to his charms, in addition to resell him to his fans. They will be engaging in a re-imagining of his catalog starting with the "Beatles One"ish disc of number one hits arriving later this year. You will see specials and magazine articles focusing on Mr. Presley in the months to come. Remember how prominent his song was on the Lilo & Stitch advertisement? There was a reason for that. They're trying to sway the young un's over the King's way...

So, I assume the deletions will be folow by re-remastered ;) versions of many of the LP albums and all new comps. Astute viewers already know that a number one hits collection has already been issued among other compilations, so I can only assume that the remastering is the star of this particular go-around. Who knows? Maybe more bonus goodies are in store, but I bet it is pretty much remastering and new comps.

Now whether it will sound any good or not is anybody's guess. Since the whole point is to introduce Elvis to the kids as 'cool', I'm guessing they will try to make the records sound 'modern' (ie, no-noised and hot). I hope I'm wrong...

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

18. Grant

As one not that familiar with Elvis recordings on the technical side, are there any stereo/mono issues ala Beatles, Rolling Stones, or Motown?

19. Grant

Lbangs,

Now i'm *really* curious, as everyone here is, about the remastering on the new set. Recall what Jorgenson has stated about the sound of the CDs and the tapes used in the past, and RCA's apparent new gag-order on him...

20. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

Yeah, on top of that remastering, which I'm obviously not too hopeful about, I also fear we will be having Elvis as cute and cuddly pop icon shoved down our throats to the exclusion of Elvis the bluesy artist, Elvis the rocker, Elvis the country dabbler, or Elvis the gospel crooner. If it was at all true for the Beatles, it is at least ten times as true for Elvis - The number one hits do not begin to tell one fifth of the story!

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm thinking we'll be hearing less Good Rocking Tonight or Little Sister and a whole lot more Return to Sender and All Shook Up in the future. Not the worst thing, naturally, but hardly ideal. I hate when a muti-faceted artist is reduced to his or her most easily and quickly digestable singles. But then, I'm a cranky fellow...

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs (my fave Elvis - The Sun Sessions!)

21. Grant

Lbangs, I hear ya! Most of our lives, since his death in '77, we have had Elvis shoved down our throats! The music took somewhat of a back seat to the marketing. I swear, if I hear ONE club mix of "Jailhouse Rock"...

I also agree that we will be faced with the hyping of his early 60s pop instead of the 50s classics or even many of his excellent late 60s-70s material, all to get the kids.

Get ready for maximized Elvis CDs with levels boosted 6-12db with heavy limiting and EQ!

22. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Bear Family Sun Set - that would be a dream come true. I'd guess the licensing fees would kill that idea, and BMG would get slapped upside the head with reviews like "why don't the BMG reissues of this Sun material sound as good as the Bear Family one?" If that ever happened, I'd guess Boppin' Bob Jones would get the mastering call - I think he cut a British Sun comp in the late 70's for RCA that I purchased after my phono section started humming - I'll go check that out... Bob has a great feel for RAB and I've never been disappointed with his work.

23. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Tim, all of the 1960's mono releases were simply fold downs of the stereo mixes.

24. tim_neely

Maybe for the LPs, but many singles came out by themselves originally, and in mono. I doubt all the 1960s singles were mixed for both mono and stereo simultaneously, as some of the singles didn't appear on LP until years later. (It was a long time until the proper version of "Suspicious Minds" appeared in stereo, for example. And I've always thought "Kentucky Rain" sounded better on my mono 45 than on any stereo mix I've heard.)

And at least one song, the original hit version of "Follow That Dream" on the original mono EP, is different than any stereo version that has emerged since. Where is the stereo version of that one?

It's hard for me to believe that the stand-alone singles would be mixed into stereo at the same time as the mono versions, considering that they weren't going to be used at the time.

25. Grant

The answer I was looking for. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.