Ready Or Not, Grateful Dead's unfinished studio album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TerpStation, Oct 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

No. Just no. Too many painful memories of suffering through 1994-95 Dead shows and wondering if this was the best that they had.

2. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

samba in the rain and way to go home join victim or the crime as the worst dead songs ever.

easy answers, corrina and eternity are just plain bad.

Tommy Jay and Frozensoda like this.
  3. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I was in the tapers section for five of these songs, I heard them more times than I care to remember while endlessly making copies for friends and to trade. Some of this is very good and there is a certain interest in hearing the SQ of the board tapes in this Potpourri style of a comp. listening to it more that once is however a very long shot at my house.

I’m not a fan of a GD live comp but since this period had far more great moments than great concerts, a live comp might be the best way to go. The song selection would need to be much different, because these songs could have been on a studio album doesn’t make them interesting or particularly marketable. I’d say it’s a flawed concept. But...getting some Hunter songs available for release that otherwise hadn’t been is a good thing.

warewolf95, ronbow and Vic_1957 like this.
  4. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

A lot of bathroom and beer tunes, IMO.

5. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Honestly, I think time has been good for some of these songs. Eternity and samba are still rough but the others are reasonably good. Not so much in the moment but I always liked the the Jerry songs, he and hunter had a great run of writing songs in those final years.

6. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Yea, not anticipating a very - er- “compelling” listening experience. I mean, how many times can you go for a beer or bathroom during a single CD?

Aside from the general “quality” of the material, concern is whether or not these might even reflect “definitive” versions of that last bunch of songs, such as it is, or are merely arbitrary selections of that rather drab batch. I mean, Garcia-Hunter aside, Samba could get some good rhythms going, for example.

Think it safe to say, will not be a Europe 72.

7. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Dude, I'm up for a bender, PM me.

The tracklist does not excite the mind, but, who am I kidding, I'd buy it. Studio Samba? Sleepy Hamsters? I'm in.

8. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

I'm wondering how much post-production magic can be done to 2-track Cutler DAT SBDs...

warewolf95 likes this.
  9. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I like “Days Between” very much ... but there's a chance that that is due to the Long Strange Trip documentary because it's not a song that I had paid any attention to up to that point.

warewolf95, Zack and fishcane like this.
  10. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

From Hunters letter to Garcia after he died:
    “ Yeah, we dreamed our way here. I trust it. So did you. Not so long ago we wrote a song about all that, and you sang it like a prayer. The Days Between. Last song we ever wrote.”

11. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

IF this is official I am curious why we haven’t read a post or seen a video of DL2 speaking about it. 6 weeks out from release date is pretty standard. Maybe this week??

Dennis0675 and musicaner like this.
  12. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

To each their own. I think “Victim” is a great song.

I can take or leave the rest you mentioned, but I never particularly minded any of them.

“Corrina” was always an interesting composition to me. Also a song that got a lot better over time. Post-Jerry, that song developed well with Ratdog, and sounds great on their lone (Highly underrated) studio album.

But then, I never cared much for “Days Between,” and I know I’m in the minority there.

13. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I am keeping an open mind about this. Money grab? Maybe. If they picked what could turn out to be good to great live versions with some magic fairy dust sprinkled on the recordings I would be happy to get it. I am a fan of late Garcia/Hunter songs including “Days”. I actually like the Weir stuff also. So count me intrigued. I’m not going to go check out each song on the Archive, tho, right now. I will just relax and see what happens with the production to make a final product.

Michael Chominski and Vic_1957 like this.
  14. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

agree probably not 'official' but some sort of boot.

15. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Corrina got better with time and often had a good jam afterwards.

I also agree about Days Between. It is a song that I like the idea of much more than the execution. It just runs a little long. Other than the peak during one of the last verses, it tends to drag.

16. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Not “official”? Nope, appears to be “legit” - it’s now on Apple Music / iTunes for pre-order, complete w some pretty illegit artwork.

17. SM7609

SM7609 Forum Resident

Yeah, I know, I know...but I'm SUPER excited for this. I've done my own compilations, but it's nice to have the official/last word on this album.

We can, of course, quibble over the performances, but I for one am digging "Lazy River Road". For me that's a good sign. I'm guessing that this is as good as it is ever going to get, give or take the So Many Roads box.

18. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

My thoughts exactly. I want to like “Days Between,” but it does drag and, ultimately, falls flat for me.

Gonna sound blasphemous, I know, but I’ve enjoyed that song better post-Jerry, played by P&F and Bobby alike. :hide:
    Still not a favorite, either way. I’d gladly take either “Victim” or “Corrina” over “Days.”

As for “Corrina,” it is a good jam vehicle and definitely a song that found itself over time. Just happened after the GD ended is all.

For the record, I never minded “Eternity” or “Easy Answers.” Neither is top shelf, but they’re OK. “Eternity” works better as an acoustic song, I think. I can’t really fault Weir for collaborating with the great Willie Dixon.

19. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

Corinnnnnaaaaa.... may i never listen to that again.

he had that other song "the Winners"

20. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Corrina turned into a great jam vehicle and has evolved fantastically since jg died.

And this is from a guy who loathed it the first year or so.

Loved eternity from first listen, still do

You can keep easy answers tho

Doggiedogma and Guy Smiley like this.
  21. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Just got dead.net bulletin, ugly cover and all...

[​IMG]

22. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

23. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Yup. I was hoping the artwork wasn't real for this. It's truly horrendous, and I usually don't care about the artwork that much. I'm intrigued by this release as this is NOT an era I listen to a lot. I'm sure I'll pick it up, but perhaps not with the elan and joi de vivre that accompanies most Dead releases...

24. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident

This is the worst cover I've ever seen. I'm in.

25. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Like I said in the Grateful Thread, I don't ever want to hear complaints about the hipster doofus run with Dave's covers. Those belong in the Louvre compared to this turd.

Also, $19.98 for a single CD? Am I seeing this right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.