Ready Or Not, Grateful Dead's unfinished studio album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TerpStation, Oct 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IFP

IFP Forum Resident

Hey thanks man! I look forward to giving these a listen!

2. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

[​IMG]

3. John69

John69 Forum Resident

The first in-ear monitor show was 05/19/92 Cal Expo.

4. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I sense an "In-ear monitor" box set in our near future.

ARK, martinb4, Guy Smiley and 3 others like this.
  5. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Around summer ‘92 IIRC.

6. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

You beat me to it. That sounds exactly right. I do think that while convenient for the band, perhaps ironically they resulted in members not listening to each other as closely as before, although with Jerry’s deterioration happening at the same time it’s hard to say for sure how much theyvaffected things.

budwhite likes this.
  7. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I'm unfortunately probably the only one who had hoped that they'd actually go into the studio and work these tunes into a studio album, as they believe it would have sounded sometime between the mid 90s to now.

They could have either done this simply with a recent incarnation of the band, or they could have employed a bit of Zappa's xenochrony to extract Garcia vocals and guitar parts from live recordings of the tunes and worked them into the studio recordings.

I'm a rare sort of chap who loves studio Dead even more than most live Dead.

This album is okay as it is, but I wouldn't call it their "unfinished studio album," it's more like a collection of sketchy live versions (as in literally sketchy--working out rough sketches/ideas) of relatively obscure late-period tunes.

Hep Alien, Crispy Rob, adamos and 8 others like this.
  8. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

I agree that that would probably have been more interesting than this live album. I'd like to hear the band "finish" these songs somehow. Using Zappa's techniques would be a brilliant idea, and a lot easier to do now in the digital era.

Sure it wouldn't be a "real" GD studio album, but as others have suggested, it still might have been better than Built to Last and it would have been an act of creativity rather than curation, which seems like a better way to honor those songs.

9. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Can’t find a clip of it, but I love the scene where a bunch of babes think Chong is Garcia and they’re doting on him. Cheech is being ignored and he’s trying to get some attention saying “Hey! Hey, I’m Santana!”

10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Easier to do now, but still difficult (especially since I don't think they have a lot of great Garcia performances available in this era, tbh), and although some fans here are advocating the idea I suspect others would be up in arms about it.

11. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Sure, but some fans would be up in arms about literally anything they released. The Grateful Dead thing to do would be to honor the music and not worry about pleasing everyone.

Yes, it would be work, but maybe the best way to honor these songs would have been by spending some time finishing them, instead of just sending Lemieux into the vault with a list.

Hep Alien, KCWhistle, tedhead and 2 others like this.
  12. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I don’t get what is unfinished about these songs. They played them many, many times and they are very consistent. In the world of the dead, all songs are unfinished but like them or not, there is no reason to think they aren’t as finished as say truckin. Now, Wave to the wind or Childhoods end might be unfinished songs and why they weren’t included. If they would have taken any of these songs into the studio they just would have been shorter, possibly with a bit more production to sweeten them up.

The real question is if jerry would have selected these songs for the studio not I’d he would have changed the words or music until it was “finished”.

fishcane, Hep Alien and Daedalus like this.
  13. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I don't think any amount of vault digging and editing would produce a first rate studio album of those songs played by the 92-95 GD. I'd be glad if recordings surfaced to prove me wrong about that.

Spadeygrove, bzfgt and The MEZ like this.
  14. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

First rate? I don't know if anyone is saying that.

We have an amount of untouched live recordings to last a few lifetimes, and they're still coming. I would have been down for an attempt at doing something different even if it fell short.

ianuaditis likes this.
  15. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

These are live cuts and they were finished the moment the song ended, did you want charging choppers up and down your carpeted hall added somewhere?

Daedalus, US Blues, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  16. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Hmmm - not the disaster i thought it might be and moderately enjoyable. However, while several of these performances capture some real expression - SMR, DB in particular - in general this seems to be an arbitrary selection of flawed tracks, and far from definitive, especially wrt flubbed / mumbled vocals, and even some of the intros / trims are far from crisp. I can’t imagine this is the best they could have put together. My two cents.

I do wonder what they might have been able to do w a more “creative” approach - edits, fly-ins, perhaps even some overdubs - to put together something a bit more definitive for this last batch o’ tunes...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  17. Gammondorf

Gammondorf Forum Resident

This release isn't as good as I hoped or as bad as I feared (like many of you, I made a similar homemade comp years ago). These songs could have made a decent album and a slight step-up from Built to Last.

For In the Dark, you have all 3 songwriters delivering 8/8 solid tunes:

Jerry goes 4/4 with Touch of Grey, When Push Comes to Shove, West LA Fadeaway and Black Muddy River.
    Bob goes 3/3 with Hell in a Bucket, Throwin' Stones and My Brother Esau
    Brent goes 1/1 with Tons of Steel

Good mix of tunes and the right split between songwriters.

For Built to Last, we only get 4/9 good tunes, with weak Weir compositions and too many Brent tunes:

Jerry goes 3/3 with Foolish Heart, Built to Last and Standing on the Moon
    Weir goes 0/2 with Victim or the Crime and Picasso Moon
    Brent goes 1/4 with Blow Away plus Just a Little Light, We Can Run and I Will Take You Home

Way too many bad Brent tunes and two very weak Weir tunes (although Victim got interesting later when RatDog would go dark with it, especially when Rob would break out the bow.)

For Ready or Not, we have the same issue, 5/9 good songs with decent Jerry tunes but weak Weir material and terrible contributions from the keyboardist:

Jerry goes 4/4 with Liberty, Lazy River Road, So many Roads, and Days Between.
    Bob goes 1/3 with Corrina plus Eternity and Cheesy Answers.
    Vince goes 0/2 with Samba in the Rain and Way to Go Home

The tepid performances of the (relatively strong) Jerry tunes is what holds Ready or Not back from being better than Built to Last; Weir shows a slight uptick from Built to Last; Vince's contributions were unfortunate. Phil was wise to keep his stuff buried.

A few closing thoughts:

1. As Weir goes, so goes the overall quality of the album.
    2. Never let the keyboard player write songs.
    3. Money Honey is still the most embarrassing catalog song

zongo, frightwigwam, The MEZ and 6 others like this.
  18. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

I went looking through the 30 Days Of Dead tracks from over the years, and Lazy River Road from 7/31/94 was included in 2015... it's a very upbeat punchy version with great energy from Garcia and minimal flubs - a preferable to the one on Ready Or Not.

19. spinyn

spinyn Senior Member

I am enjoying this more than I expected to but do find I like the Vince songs the least. Not surprising...I never warmed to him much. It went downhill when Hornsby left for me.

The MEZ likes this.
  20. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

You have a beautiful tan, man.

ianuaditis, Mad Dog and Guy Smiley like this.
  21. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

The vinyl pressing sounds fantastic. Jerry’s vocals on Lazy River Road really jump out of the speakers.

Dennis0675, nightenrock and Daedalus like this.
  22. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

23. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

It really does sound amazing. I’m shocked by how many times I’ve played this. It’s still in my play pile since the day it arrived.

24. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I've been streaming this since release and really quite enjoy it. I picked up the vinyl before Christmas but I've yet to play it. After reading good reviews of sound quality I'm looking forward to giving it a spin.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  25. spinyn

spinyn Senior Member

I continue to enjoy this release a lot. I am glad they did it and got this representation of late GD, not a good period, out in an enjoyable and relevent way.

JBOO, bzfgt, uzn007 and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.