Ready Or Not, Grateful Dead's unfinished studio album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TerpStation, Oct 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

That's my guess. Wouldn't be the first time he's nixed stuff for release.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

Except that Hornsby was amazing with them and many nights, the best musician up there. Imagine those years with only Bruce on grand piano and none of Vince's insanely busy carnival sound?

ARK, budwhite, vegafleet and 2 others like this.
  3. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Yes he is invidually an amazing musician and often lit a much needed spark. But his tenure is Overrated imo. He walked all over the solos and crowded the sound. I wasn’t there to see the Range

Doggiedogma, Senor Muddy and dtuck90 like this.
  4. parkmebike

parkmebike I'm in love with a girl...

not to get too hung up on the cover art, but I can't believe how bad it is! When I opened the email, I laughed...a lot. Embarrassing. I think my kids could've done better designing something on their phones in a half hour.

5. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

It was a compilation of songs from the first three albums. It’s fine, but pointless.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

I’ll pull it out to re listen. I just remember not being into it. Perhaps I just wasn’t into some Garcia band live at the time. Sacrilegious, I know haha

7. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

No, please, get hung up on it. It's awful. I wouldn't care as much if this wasn't an organization that otherwise puts a ton of time and care into their art. I mean, I know different eras of the DaP series have their detractors, but clearly more thought and care was even put into those. Even if you accept the premise of cosmic joker skeletons, it's still lazy art.

8. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Amazon has this available for pre-order. I’d feel better about giving them my money than dead.net

9. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

The divergence of opinions on this thread is interesting.
    Some find Eternity and Way to go Home to be good songs, I thought those two were the worst of the new songs.
    Eternity would drag every show I saw them perform it in to a grinding halt. It was an absolute momentum killer.
    And Way to Go Home is just generic, empty sing-along dreck.

uzn007, Doggiedogma and wavethatflag like this.
  10. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

Unfamiliar with most of these songs... count me in on the vinyl

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I like the idea of releasing these songs together. Now, the artwork... well, it's certainly not ready.

12. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I too find the cover art astonishing. Of the included songs there’s only four that I generally like: Liberty, Lazy River Road, So Many Roads and Days Between (wonder what the common thread is there...). There’s also a few that I had a strong aversion to back in the day. But I preordered it on Amazon anyway, although maybe I’ll switch to a download. I’m open to being pleasantly surprised by the performances.

13. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

this is one job I am glad I was not Vaultmeister for, having to find the best versions of a lot of those tunes

Matthew Tate and budwhite like this.
  14. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

I had almost forgotten about these. The 90s were a rough time for the Dead.

15. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Not to toot my own horn, but hat makeshift artwork I made for the 1987 show in the recent box set is a million times better. And I made that in paint.NET on my laptop. This artwork is HORRENDOUS.

16. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

With some astonishing brilliance sprinkled throughout, in the strangest of places if you look it it right....ya just gotta poke around...

Hep Alien and adamos like this.
  17. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I could make a compilation of live versions of these songs myself. And if the live tracks used on Ready Or Not were heretofore unavailable boards, I still don’t care enough. Maybe it’ll be good.

Matthew Tate and budwhite like this.
  18. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

Just listened to Liberty and Corrina from 10/14/94. Excellent versions. Nice long groovy Corrina and Jerry is focused and in fine vocal form on Liberty.

19. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

all the shows I saw with Vince ( or Hornsby for that matter) were forgettable at best.

20. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Honestly, most of the GD archival releases have featured carefully designed artwork, so there could be an yet unknown historical reason for the use of that cheap graphic.

Matthew Tate and warewolf95 like this.
  21. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

I would assume you just went to the wrong shows then. Dismissing five years of shows is pretty silly imo. Close to their best period, hell no. But each year certainly had some wonderful shows.

22. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

You inspired me to do the same, agreed. The Liberty is particularly punchy.

unravelled and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

That's what I'm betting on/hoping for, because that current art looks like something I could make in microsoft paint. :(

Rne likes this.
  24. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Maybe it was done in Paintbrush back in the 90's, who knows.

warewolf95 likes this.
  25. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Yeah.........those 1990 Madison Square Garden shows were horrible :whistle:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.