Real Time Click Repair MiniPC Setup

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by krisbee, Jul 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wayne Bull

Wayne Bull Forum Resident

Did you notice any degradation in sound through the app?

2. Wayne Bull

Brilliant!

Can you explain a little more how the VSThost is setup to work with the declicker please?

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  3. Night Version

Night Version Forum Resident

Some artifacting (i presume) during particularly noisy stretches. It’s doing everything in 16/48 so it’s not “hi res”. Since I don’t typically hear the benefits of hi-res I’m less bothered than some of you might be.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I'm at 16/96. Maybe your soundcard is the bottleneck?

5. Strat-Mangler

I'd like to give this a shot since I already have a powerful PC in my arcade cabinet running ClickRepair RT and am always looking for "better". Your profile is not currently configured to allow anybody to contact you in private ("Start A Conversation" feature) so I'm asking here.

Which application do you use VSTHost with?

6. az5456

az5456 Active Member

That's pretty easy!
    When you have iZotope RX installed (I recommend to use RX5 or RX6, as the declicker algorithm has been improved much from the older versions), just download and start VSTHost.
    I don't know if it's available in english, I hope so, but the developer is a german guy and I didn't find the software in english, just in german (my native language).
    So, if you have the german version, click on "Geräte" => Wave and set up your input and output device and sample rate. If you use an audio interface with ASIO driver, just select it as the output device ("Ausgabegerät"), the input gets grayed out and the device is used for in- and output. Then, again in the "Geräte" menu, you have the ASIO Control Panel and ASIO Kanalauswahl (channel selector), where you can configure the settings and in-/outputs of your interface.
    After that, click on the first icon in the upper row ("Neues Plugin" / New Plugin) and select the "iZotope RX# De-Click.dll", usually found in C:/Program Files/Steinberg/VstPlugins.
    The Plugin should now appear in the plugin chain, connected with input and output. If input and output are additionally connected together, deactivate "Audio durchschleifen" (passthrough) in the "Maschine" menu.
    Now click on the small green round knob-like button in the iZotope plugin box, and make your prefered settings in the Declicker. I recommend Multi-Band (random clicks), Click Type "Click", Sensitivity 4, Frequency skew 0 and Click widening 0. Close the Declicker window.
    Ensure that "Ausführen" (run) in the "Maschine" menu is activated, and it shoud work.

If you want to automatically load your settings when you start VSTHost, there are a few more steps necessary:
    -After you have finished your setup, click on "Plugin" => Programmname and enter a name.
    -In the Menu "Performance" => Speichern unter... (save as) select the first *Init* item and enter a name, click ok.
    -Again in the Performance menu, ensure that Reload, Autosave and Autosave Plugin Banks are activated.
    That's it, VSTHost automatically runs as soon as it's started, using your settings. Ensure that the Declicker settings even got saved and are not reset to Single band.

Mintsauce and JohnO like this.
  7. Night Version

Amazing stuff! Would you be willing to put the time into a step-by-step 'how to' for the technically incompetent such as myself?

It's capable of hi-res, but dev is suggesting I use Oracle Java not Apple's due to some sound driver issues (that may be one of them). Which I'm installing right now. Could also use this on my PC partition via boot camp. Really like the idea of the TinyPC posted above, though.

8. Strat-Mangler

It really doesn't take much power to run ClickRepair RT. Mini-PCs (the proper term) cost very little and are usually passively cooled making them ideal in this setting. They also usually come with a free Windows license, too.

9. Wayne Bull

This is what I run RT on.....

NEO Z83-4

Cost me £90 off ebay and is fantastic.

I run it headless and just use TeamViewer if I ever need to log onto it.

10. Night Version

Confirming Oracle Java enables access to higher res. So now really cooking.

11. Wayne Bull

Are you seeing 24bit in the Clickrepair drop down menu?

I can only see 16bit 96hz maximum.

12. Strat-Mangler

The author confirmed that 16-bit is the max depth for the RT version so don't bother troubleshooting this.

13. Wayne Bull

Great instructions...Thank you!

Got this up and running no problem.

Can confirm as well that VSTHost is also available in English.

14. Wayne Bull

Thanks for confirmation

15. Wayne Bull

Quick question....Where do you sent the bit rate to 24bit?

I am also using a Focusrite 2i2 but can only see sample rate in the Asia control panel in VSTHost.

Thanks

16. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

17. Wayne Bull

18. az5456

az5456 Active Member

As far as I know, VSTHost always uses the maximum bit depth the used audio interface can operate at, it's not possible to change that, so with the Scarlett 2i2 it will always be 24 bit.

19. Wayne Bull

Cheers

20. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

I gave this a go as it’s a free trial for 30 days. It must need plenty of processing power as the best I can get out of it is a pretty garbled mess, even on its lowest settings it’s maxing out in the high 90%. On higher settings I can’t even tell that there’s music!

21. Wayne Bull

I had to have the declick settings at single path and the sample rate at 44hz in Asio settings.

It worked perfect then with the Focusrite.

22. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

Even at that I had drop outs! Oh well worth a try I suppose. Back to Click Repair for me.

23. az5456

az5456 Active Member

What kind of PC do you use? My Lenovo has a Pentium G2030T, not a high-end CPU at all (about 80% faster than an Atom Z8350 and comparable to the first i3 desktop CPU that came out 2010), and with the best settings (96k/24bit, Multi-Band declick) the CPU load is about 60% and it works perfect, not a single dropout even over hours. With 48k/24bit the CPU load is as low as 25%.
    So of course, iZotope needs more computing power than ClickRepair, but gives an unparalleled sound quality in reward. You get a second-hand Thinkcentre M72e Tiny for under 100$ and it's perfect for this job.

Mintsauce likes this.
  24. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

I use this, http://amzn.eu/dCgs8cj so it’s a Atom x5-Z8350 processor with 2gb of ddr3
    I might lug my main pc downstairs (it’s a beast) and try it out with the demo version, but I can’t see myself upgrading again as I’m pretty happy with click repair.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  25. az5456

az5456 Active Member

Okay, maybe the Z8350 is really too weak for this... I thought, as it has about half the power of the G2030T and the Pentium is capable to do 96kHz, the Atom should be enough for at least 48kHz.
    Generally, if you have issues with dropouts or choppy sound, try to set the buffer of the audio interface to the maximum possible value (1024 samples on the Scarlett), as latency doesn't really matter for this purpose, and anyway the latency of the Declicker plugin is about 2-3 seconds, so a few milliseconds more or less of the audio interface are negligible. If I set the buffer to less than 1024 at 96kHz, I get dropouts too (at 48kHz I could go down to 512, but that doesn't give any real benefits).

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.