"Really Useful Boxes" for storage records and cds

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stenway, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

These racks aren't comparable to Really Useful boxes. The boxes are both transport protection and storage. Very strong and offer protection from water and knocks. They are not intended as furniture. I first came across them being used at Record Fairs years ago.

johnnybrum, eddiel and patient_ot like this.
  2. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Rad boxes; wished they were sold down here. Nothing even remotely of the sort:(. Love that the semi-hermetic lid.

3. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

They used to have an area at the Olympia fair and that's where I first discovered them. I bought a couple and brought them back with me to Canada when I moved back.

You can find some sizes here in Canada but none with the extra height lid. They have them in the US via their US website but I can't get them delivered here. I even emailed them asking them to expand their range in Canada and also emailed a couple of the vendors just to show support for the product. But nada. One guy isn't enough is it? :)

Great product though.

The Pinhead likes this.
  4. stenway

stenway Forum Resident Thread Starter

yes I agree! the racks have some problems (at least for my needs), why?

1. generally the racks holds even 100 records by cube, so records tends to NOT stay vertical, and that cause damage, you can see easily here by example: http://i.imgur.com/S9VP0.jpg a lot records in one cube... is not good.
    2. records are exposed to the "ambient" like you say, the idea of boxes is real protection and storage.
    3. I can't see the records in boxes! who care's! I don't need see all my records, I have catalogue of what is inside each box, I find all easy.

ok being a purist and perfectionist, I even think plastic or wood boxes are not good for records, why? you know a COMIC collector? comic collectors are the most obsessive maniacs persons when care his valuable comics, and one thing that they use is Acid Free Paper Boxes, why? because wood or plastic can add acids to the paper, with acid free paper boxes the paper is save, ok SAME THING happens with records... remember records artworks are made with fine papers too, so yes I'm searching for paper boxes.

something like this: http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/IMG_4092.jpeg maybe looks ugly but is secure.

saying that, the best and solid box that I found is this: https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-7981-comic-storage-box.aspx problem? size is not made for records (12, 7 inch) is made for comics... also are not cheap, but looks just perfect! I try to ask bagsunlimited if they can made for records, maybe... you can see the video at min 4:20

of course that is my opinion, believe I learn more of how care my records from comic collectors than record collectors, even the outer sleeves and some special paper that hey use to care the paper, very cool stuff.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  5. Amateurish

Amateurish Forum Resident

Can anyone recommend the largest capacity Really Useful Box that works well with CDs in gatefold poly sleeves from Bags Unlimited? Their web site is not really clear on how the trays work and whether they are required. I'm looking for a box that holds at least 200 CDs in sleeves.

I tried the corrugated plastic Bags Unlimited boxes for CDs but returned them because the assembly process alone was frustrating. Overall they had a cheap and disposable feel to them.

Also, I just saw these in person, does anyone have experience with them?

Large Media Box »

6. stenway

7. stenway

JohnBlutarski likes this.
  8. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Office Depot usually has Really Useful Boxes on sale every so often. Usually, buy 2, get 1 free. They sometimes have coupons for $10 off $30 or so.
    I like the 6.5 L for CDs. The larger 17L are also good for CDs.

Buy 2 Get 1 Free on Really Useful Boxes. Offer Expires 08/06/2016

Coupon Code

Really Useful Boxes Plastic Storage Box 6.5 Liters 17 12 x 7 x 6 14 Clear by Office Depot & OfficeMax »

Really Useful Boxes Plastic Storage Box 17 Liters 18 78 x 15 38 x 8 Clear by Office Depot & OfficeMax »

Really Useful Boxes 17 Liter Plastic Storage Box 19 x 14 x 7 Blue by Office Depot & OfficeMax »

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    moops likes this.
  9. Tjazz

What size is for 7" singles?

10. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

11. Tjazz

12. johnnybrum

Tjazz and patient_ot like this.
  13. Tjazz

14. Mx5468

Mx5468 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the number, everything's been sorted out and my order is on the way.

patient_ot likes this.
  15. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

@Mx5468 , happy to hear you got it sorted out.

16. Mx5468

Mx5468 Well-Known Member

Got it last week and I'm very happy with the purchase. My LP's fit perfectly in there new home. The fit is just about right, it's not too tight or too loose. The plastic is very sturdy compared to my other plastic storage boxes (I purchased the "white strong").

I would definitely recommend this to anyone who needs a storage box for their record collection.

patient_ot likes this.
  17. stenway

18. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident

I'm probably talking to the wrong crowd here but I get all the boxes I want from the wine shop down the street... and they're free. I pick out the boxes that hold 12 wine bottles (a case) and make sure they're sturdy and taller than the records. The boxes hold about 50-60 LP's (loosely) and can be stacked 1 or 2 deep if necessary.

For CD's, I use veggie/fruit bulk packs/trays (grapes, peppers, etc.) that I pick up at Costco and the like. These boxes are also free, very sturdy, slightly taller than CD's and are interlocking so they can be stacked (I have them 10-high at the moment). They hold @150 CD's like they were made for it - just be sure to get the one's that hold 3 CD's abreast. Although I have to be a bit more selective, the deeper veggie/fruit boxes (oranges, grapefruit) will hold 60 -70 7" R2R tapes comfortably and they can be stacked to the ceiling as well. I'm sure they can also be used for 45's but I don't have enough of the lil' guys to fill a box.

I also find these trays work great for storing vacuum tubes - the short trays for small tubes (up to EL-84's) and the taller ones for EL-34, 45, etc. You can fit a lot of tubes (vertically, in tube boxes and sleeves) in one of these boxes and easily and safely stack them to the ceiling. Of course, this would only benefit those who have a few thousand tubes to deal with but still...free!

19. stenway

20. johnnybrum

It is is fine, unless you are using very rigid outer sleeves. There is plenty of space in the width, and the lid just touches the top of the outer. The top is quite snug, but it is just about enough, with not one mm to spare....the width is no problem at all.

I just bought another 2 of them yesterday. I use them with 450 gauge polythene sleeves 330mm x 335mm, and couldn't be happier :)

21. stenway

I use this sleeves: Record Album Sleeves - LP Covers - Frost and Clear | ClearBags »

22. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The only records (excl box sets) that I found don't fit in Really Useful boxes with or without a polythene cover have been the Classic Records LZ In Through the Out Door and Dave Gilmour original release of On An Island, plus the Speakers Corner triple, Santana Lotus.

23. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

I was able to fit 6-7 times more CDs into these boxes once I dumped the jewel case. I have a separate box where the tray liners lay flat, loads fit in there.:righton:

24. stenway

dumped the jewel case? you mean that you send to trash the jewel cases of your cds? ouch! :sigh:

25. stenway

actually the boxes are not totally made for records, they just create that sizes for many purposes "including" records.
    if you see the box for 7 inch is very different to the LPs box... and so on... so they just say that boxes are for records but not totally designed for.
    It would be nice if they create a various sizes 7, 10, 12 specially made for records with enough space etc...