"Really Useful Boxes" for storage records and cds

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stenway, Apr 20, 2016.

1. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

@stenway, I wish they were easier to get. I didn't think shipping was that bad once I ordered several boxes at once. I don't have any of the 19XL boxes, but they look good and I can tell you that the bigger 35XL boxes are pretty damn heavy once loaded up with records.

2. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

For UK buyers Ryman once again have the two for £22 deal on the 35 litre XL boxes, postage is still free over £40, but I'm not sure if you can still get an additional 20% off code by signing up for their newsletter.

Robert C and johnnybrum like this.
  3. stenway

stenway Forum Resident Thread Starter

4. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

TonyCzar likes this.
  5. stenway

ups! true! my bad too.
    so that means the vinyl ones there's still not available in USA, at least in amazon.
    maybe I try with one for CDs, the CD box is correct right? http://redirect.viglink.com/?format...011&ie=UTF8&qid=1522566673&sr=8-9

6. Kristian1980

Kristian1980 Forum Resident

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Yep, those look really usefull...IF you plan on your basement flooding, and are dim enough to decide to store your cardboard jackets down there anyway...:sigh:

8. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

9. rtrt

rtrt Forum Resident

I can see 10% off - Ryman Terms and Conditions

10% voucher off when you buy 3 or more items with discount code VCRYMAN
    Voucher is valid online only from 01/05/2018 until 22/05/2018 inclusive. Enter VCRYMAN at the checkout when ordering 3 or more items to receive 10% off. Only one voucher per customer, per transaction. Only 1 use per customer. Discount cannot be applied retrospectively. No cash alternative. The offer excludes: Gift Vouchers, EPAY products, Post Office products, DHL services, Western Union services, Charity Products, Kindle, Tablets, PC Software, Cameras, Printers, Hard Drives, DAB Radios, Bluetooth Audio, Red Letter Days Experiences, Apple products, delivery charges and where products state they are not eligible for discount. Cannot be used in conjunction with any discount including Business or Student discount. Cannot be used in conjunction with cashback. Ryman offers Free Standard Delivery or Next Working Day courier delivery on all orders over £40 that are received by 4pm and delivered to mainland addresses in England, Wales and Scotland. See Ryman.co.uk for up to date prices. Prices are subject to change without prior notification. Products subject to availability, while stocks last. No cash alternative.

Dubmart likes this.
  10. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

That's just under £10 each for 35 litre XLs if you buy 6 to get the free postage, beats the normal £15 each.

11. Reamonnt

Reamonnt Mr.T

I use the 6.5L for CDs found here in Easons in Ireland if anyone from Ireland is looking. I stick some stickers on them to jazz them up so to speak. Im thinking of buying a few more as my CDs are all over the house.

12. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt Forum Resident

I use the 18 litre, which can hold about 90 CDs. On Amazon for about £7 at the moment.

13. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Ryman appear now to just have the standard boxes on offer. I suppose you could order the XL lids from Really Useful but their minimum delivery charge is expensive.

Really Useful Box 35 Litre - Plastic Boxes - Storage Boxes - Office Supplies .

Word of warning - moving a 35 litre box full of vinyl is back breaking and needs some care. Unfortunately 19 litre would mean too many boxes for me. Just strained my back shifting one! I did manage to move 24 boxes a couple years ago via several car loads (large estate).

14. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Really Useful charge nearly as much for the XL lids as you can get the whole thing for, so unfortunately buying standard 35 litre boxes and getting XL lids is a no go. If you can open a business account the XLs are really cheap from Ryman, not sure what criteria they use for business accounts though.

If I'm stacking them high I tend to place the crate where I want it and then fill it with records, I definitely don't want to risk my back over some records.

I could really use another 10-15 crates, but money is too tight so they'll have to wait, I keep getting rid of records, yet there never seems to be more space.

15. Classicrock

Ryman have the XL on Amazon but they are asking £20 each. So £10 extra for the lid! The 35XL boxes are £12.34 +VAT from Really Useful.

16. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I think that when I looked Really Useful wanted around £8 just for the XL lids, I'm sure Ryman will have the XLs back at a good price soon, hopefully around £10 or less, although that's not much use if you need some now. I'm surprised there aren't more stockists, we could really do with some price competition.

17. Reamonnt

Reamonnt Mr.T

I seen that deal its a good one.

18. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Another deal for people in the UK, Robert Dyas have 3 for 2 on Really useful boxes and free postage over £50 with the code FREEDEL50, so you can get 6 35 litre XLs for £51.96 and similar good deals on other sizes.

johnnybrum likes this.
  19. stenway

20. Billy Hunt

drad dog and stenway like this.
  21. stenway

thank you, nice flyer, more clear,

but the 18L is not available on the USA site, only UK Go Shopping - Really Useful Boxes - 18 litre Really Useful Box

I got this response from the support:

"The US version of the UK " original " Box the 18 Ltr is called 17 Ltr as it is little bit smaller than the UK version. It will not hold CD’s very well. "

and also they say this, but IMO is wrong:

" You can buy the 18 Ltr XL version from the US website which is perfect for CD and single LP storage or you can order the 18 ltr version from Amazon."

first, I think the 18ltr XL is too high and big for cds and buy on amazon? where! amazon don't see the 18ltr XL.

22. stenway

I don't want be repetitive but owners of the 35XL, ARE YOU SURE that are not too tight on the sides??? records with outers sleeves maybe not fit well, just see this pic, looks tight.

[​IMG]

23. Billy Hunt

The information from Really Useful seems contradictory; the external dimensions on the US page for the 17l convert exactly to the equivalent metric on the UK page for the 18l, whilst the internal dimensions are different, so something's not right.

Regarding the 35XL for LPs, the width is fine for the majority of sleeves; the gap is small so the LPs don't slide around to much when the boxes are moved. Some of the outer sleeves in the UK are PVC which have crimped edges and they won't fit (but they're not good for the LP or the sleeve anyway) but I think the ones used in the USA might be okay. Perhaps someone could confirm.

24. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I use polyprop sleeves rather than thick PVC, but if nobody else gives a definitive answer I'll find some PVC sleeves and double check for you, my suspicion is they will be too tight, but who knows.

25. Classicrock

Records fit fine with polythene or mylar outer sleeves. Even PVC hard sleeves fit at a pinch if you insist on using them. Only issue I have is the odd Lp cover that is manufactured oversize. These won't fit cover or not though some may fit turned 90 degrees from norm. Even some old std box sets will fit though most these days are oversize.

patient_ot likes this.