Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Reasonable partial refund on damaged CD box set

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by rpd, Jan 14, 2021.

1. rpd

rpd Senior Member Thread Starter

So, I just grabbed the Complete Columbia Johnny Cash CD box set off Discogs. It’s still available new on Amazon for $217. I try to buy from individual sellers if I can. Bought a “near mint” set for $175 shipped. No reason to believe this is not a good seller.

Well, the CD box was damaged in shipment (I assume). Although there was no obvious damage to the shipping box. But now there are 2 seam splits on the box top corners. I think the seller should have tightly shrink wrapped the box prior to shipping.

Even though I generally don’t want damaged boxes, I really don’t want to return the set. Any suggestions on what is a reasonable $$ amount to ask for as a partial refund? I really have no idea.

2. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

It looks like the lowest price it ever sold for on discogs is $136.99... I think I’d ask the guy for $20 bucks. I’m really finicky about this stuff though.

3. The Hud

The Hud AKA: AKA

This is tough. I looked on eBay and found a empty Johnny Cash box for $50 plus $12 shipping.

I was going to say ask for half of what you would pay for a replacement box, but in this case I would just return it and get a new set.

4. Myke

Myke Listening

Got mine for $110 all in back in 2016. M- all around. Classifieds sale from a fellow member.

5. rpd

Thanks. I will ask the seller to pay the full cost of this replacement box. Seems reasonable

6. Mark Snowden

Mark Snowden Forum Resident

What seller has shrink wrap? Everything I've had from discogs has been taped and bubble wrapped.
    I think you're being unreasonable asking for full replacement box cost, $62 off a $175 set is way too much.
    Return the set and find another without the flaws.

7. rpd

i meant bubble wrap.

I don’t think the guy can re-sell this set. So I think he should pay for the replacement box. If not, he’s also out shipping both ways.

8. Mark Snowden

Mark Snowden Forum Resident

As I said, I think you're being unreasonable, you wanted the set on the cheap and the case isn't perfect when delivered. Return and buy a new set from amazon.

9. rpd

Actually, I was trying to help out an individual seller vs buying from Amazon. $175 used was “on the cheap”??? He described the item as mint. I sure appreciate all opinions, but I’m sure surprised by yours.

do you ever try to support individual sellers?

10. rpd

He agreed to buy the replacement box.

thanks to all

11. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

It should have been insured. I’ve insured much less.